Proposal: Who is next years Davidson?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Leleggia had a decent full year of Pro. 27pts in 63games +3 for a undersized Dman isn't to bad. Tied Khaira in points.

Laleggia is small, but imo the league is moving more towards that type of Dman. At the very least, I think there is actually some benefit to having at least one smaller guy in the depth chart, and our current depth chart is full of very big and heavy Dmen, none of which have Laleggia's offensive flair. Kind of similar to Gostisbehere, who also came out of nowhere

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Oesterle if he counts. Davidson took a massive step last year and Oesterle was playing huge minutes to end the year.

Can you believe Jordan Oesterle was playing some 27+ minute games in the NHL? He looked like he was starting to figure it out. I think we may need to put Sekera on the right side to keep Oesterle around. To start the season:

Davidson-Karlsson
Klefbom-Sekera
Oesterle-Fayne

Karlsson on the right side is definitely attractive

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Laleggia is small, but imo the league is moving more towards that type of Dman. At the very least, I think there is actually some benefit to having at least one smaller guy in the depth chart, and our current depth chart is full of very big and heavy Dmen, none of which have Laleggia's offensive flair. Kind of similar to Gostisbehere, who also came out of nowhere

From everything ive read Laleggia was garbage last year until being moved to forward.

I could be wrong though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
From everything ive read Laleggia was garbage last year until being moved to forward.

I could be wrong though.

from what I recall that wasn't a permanent thing but I could be wrong.

edit: this article does refer to him as a defenseman, and I saw another quote where Fleming called him one.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...ospect-on-bakersfield-condors-but-not-by-much

edit:
top pairing at Bakersfield in April was Nurse-Laleggia
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...longer-playing-like-sleepyshev-in-bakersfield

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Khaira was the first name that came to mind before even looking at the poll results.

I never liked him much before last season, thought he was vastly overrated by the Oiler fanbase but he did something last offseason where he vastly improved his skating and I see some skill that I didn't know he had, smart player too. Looked not out of place in the top 6.
He might not get a full time spot this season but I see him as an ideal Hendricks replacement in 2 seasons and could very well get a long look this season if Pakarinen falters. With him and Cagguila, the Oilers have some real solid bottom 6 depth in case of injury or ineffectiveness.

Don't think any of the other guys outside of Brossoit have much of an NHL future and even with him, who knows. Probably Simpson if I had to pick one who is solid at everything but even he has a large uphill climb (said the same with Davidson last offseason so..). Don't think that Laleggia has NHL level skill, Musil doesn't skate well enough.

Forgot about Slepyshev. I could see a possibility with him due to the Oilers weakness on the right side especially if Eberle is dealt but I could just as easily see him back in Russia after this season if he doesn't get a full time NHL shot, same with Yak2 who seems destined for the KHL.

Last edited:

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Musil. You heard it here first

I agree w/ Musil.
Laleggia didn't play very many games at forward. It was around Christmas time when he did. Helped his confidence though, and he started putting up more points on the back end when he went back.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oesterle looked very good at the end of the year. Reminded me of a poor man's Duncan Keith. Undersized, but quick thinker who can move the puck out of his zone fast.

He struggled at times against a heavy forecheck, but I think with more experience and adding a bit more muscle he'll be a mainstay on the bottom pairing. Could see him getting some PP time as well.

Oesterle fell off big time after Davidson went down. I have a feeling that Davidson was really propping him up. I don't think he's a good enough skater or skilled enough to keep a spot in the NHL, classic tweener IMO.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Leleggia had a decent full year of Pro. 27pts in 63games +3 for a undersized Dman isn't to bad. Tied Khaira in points.

that's who i voted for, LaLeggia, but he'll likely play on the wing if he ever plays for us. he, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Khaira really need to step up from the system and give the Oilers a break from constantly having to look for these types of players either in trades or signings.

Robotdanceparty

Feb 24, 2015
Does Reinhart fit in this discussion? I think he comes up some point in the year and makes people realize he isn't the bust he has been labelled by so many. Davidson emerged at 24, Griffin is only 22 so all the people who praise Davidson and write off Reinhart don't make a lot of sense to me. Especially as Reinhart I think has a lot more of the natural tools than Davidson, who made it basically on sheer will and determination.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Does Reinhart fit in this discussion? I think he comes up some point in the year and makes people realize he isn't the bust he has been labelled by so many. Davidson emerged at 24, Griffin is only 22 so all the people who praise Davidson and write off Reinhart don't make a lot of sense to me. Especially as Reinhart I think has a lot more of the natural tools than Davidson, who made it basically on sheer will and determination.

I would figure he's not included because he's too high profile. Davidson was waiver wire fodder. He came out of nowhere and stole a spot. If Reinhart did that, it would be following the script. I know many are down on him, but he's still our next best prospect after Nurse and Puljujarvi.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

I agree with this. I think Reinhart could improve greatly this season. If we can keep our roster healthy there will be 4 guys in front of him to log the tough minutes and he will have every chance to grow.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Next year or long term? My 2 most likely are Musil and Khaira, but they're probably another year away from being in the conversation for full time duty. The most likely for next year is probably Pitlick. He's 24 and shown well in his call ups. It's now or never for him. The big question is still if he can play a full season

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Khaira was the first name that came to mind before even looking at the poll results.

I never liked him much before last season, thought he was vastly overrated by the Oiler fanbase but he did something last offseason where he vastly improved his skating and I see some skill that I didn't know he had, smart player too. Looked not out of place in the top 6.
He might not get a full time spot this season but I see him as an ideal Hendricks replacement in 2 seasons and could very well get a long look this season if Pakarinen falters. With him and Cagguila, the Oilers have some real solid bottom 6 depth in case of injury or ineffectiveness.

Don't think any of the other guys outside of Brossoit have much of an NHL future and even with him, who knows. Probably Simpson if I had to pick one who is solid at everything but even he has a large uphill climb (said the same with Davidson last offseason so..). Don't think that Laleggia has NHL level skill, Musil doesn't skate well enough.

Forgot about Slepyshev. I could see a possibility with him due to the Oilers weakness on the right side especially if Eberle is dealt but I could just as easily see him back in Russia after this season if he doesn't get a full time NHL shot, same with Yak2 who seems destined for the KHL.

I always liked Kharia because of that skill he showed in the AHL. I was never sure why he didn't score more but when i watched him at the AHL level he always looked impressive, i also don't think he improved his skating THAT much. He's just starting to put it all together is what i would say. Nothing changed, he just developed.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Not sure I see it. He made Reinhart look like a fantastic skater in comparison the season before last. Unless thats improved a lot I don't think it'll happen.

I always thought Musil had a shot at being a Doug Murray type, he's a mean SOB at the AHL level and he's skilled enough that all he really needs to do is improve his skating, which he still can. Musil is an interesting player.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
I'll take Reinhart could have been an NHL regular last year, he will do it this year. Always liked the way Pitlick has played he might win a spot and stay healthy.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Slepyshev. He had a year to figure out the NA game with a taste of NHL action, and I think he'll be on a tear this year. From what I've heard once he was back to 100% down the stretch he was very good in Bako. He's likely the first call-up too so that makes it that much more likely that he shines.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Came down to Khaira and Pitlick for me. I choose Pitlick. Mainly because hes a RW and I think, hope, he finally has a full healthy season, and therefore get into a lot of NHL games. If a RW gets traded, such as Eberle or Yak, that opens up a spot for him. Also, right now we have 5 NHL centers, so that kinda blocks Khairas path.

If I had to guess at a stat line Id say 40GP 7G 12A 19P. Nothing crazy but solid for a bottom 6 rookie.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't think anyone of these guys will be able to surprise the way Davidson did and emerge as a legit NHL option. Khaira has the best chance out of these guys but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If Lander counts I would say him. I'd imagine most people are writing him off big time but I remember reading an interview not too long ago that he'd change how he'll train this offseason. Instead of focusing on skating and getting stronger like he's done every year as a pro pretty much he'll instead spend more time adding to his offensive game, working on his shot and puck skills overall.

IMO Lander has already shown enough offensive potential to believe he could be a solid #3C if he keeps working on these things, so I wouldn't be surprised if he takes that spot in camp. That would be a very pleasant development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad