Who is more overrated: Robinson or Bossy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

Jeez to see these 2 guys almost unanimously on all-time lists really boggles the mind when you consider that when they played it was a different story.

Robinson:

A fantastic player and individual;

Had a superb shot which he could step into at full speed.
Enormous but sporadic hitter. Devastating fighter rarely challenged.
Huge reach and speed made getting by him difficult if not impossible for forwards

Was class act who was deeply respected by the opposition.Other players after about 1980 wouldnt hit him out of respect. His head injury which led to the wearing of a helmet is a good example. When he fell, the fighting going on around him stopped as everyone was concerned for him.

But suffered from mental lapses possibly from overwork. Didnt really standout much from Lapointe or Savard during glory years. Lapointe was an allstar who could really lug the puck; Savard a Smythe winner.

Made huge gaff OT Game 1 Semis 1975 or else could have been 5 in a row. Gave puck away a lot.

Bottom line: was really just another Big 3 member albeit likely the best one but not by much. His post retirement rise is helped by peaking at right time during dynasty.

Bossy:

Was a premier sniper who could score at will, bouncing puck, tough checking, playoffs etc. Don't have much else good to say.

Was weak defensively. Never dominated a single game, N-e-v-e-r. Always needed to be set up. Couldnt stickhandle or cut at speed. Every see him dance away from 5 players and score a timely goal?

Bottom line: was greatly assisted by starting out on an expansion team (imagine Lafleur in Oakland ?) and by playing with the best all round player of his generation and the best defensiveman.

His stock has greatly risen after retirement based on inflated 80's stats.

Bossy gets my vote for more overated

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Robinson vs Lapointe/Savard (RS/PO)
1384/227 GP 1924/253
208/28 G 277/45
750/116 A 784/93
958/144 Pts 1061/138
793/211 PIM 1485/226
+730 +/- +789

Statistically Robinson compares quite well to Lapointe and Savard combined.

Corey

Why would anyone create such a thread? Is there nothing more substantial to discuss? The last time I looked the lockout has ended, a new CBA signed, and teams and players are preparing from training camps. How about asking which is more overrated, vitamin A or vitamin C? :shakehead

espo*

Both were great players,neither were over-rated is my vote.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
This thread is a joke! Both players are in the top 2 or 3 to ever play their positions. Bossy was bad defensively? Did you actually ever SEE him play? Never dominated a game? Yeah, I guess he scored 57 goals a year for 10 years BY ACCIDENT!!

Scott Stevens is overrated. Cam Neely is overrated. THAT should be the angle of your thread! Which of these simps was worse?

Sheesh!!!!! :shakehead

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Dear God, please stop the BS.

Have you no self-respect? Defaming two great players with a litany of pure crap?

Talk about revisionist history.

What has happened to this board? :shakehead

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Bossy came into the league as a great scoreer and left it as a great player. He played his position all over the ice and certainly didn't hang around center while Trootier did the work. The thing about goals is whether you score them, not how.He came into the league with Trottier as his center, that's who he played his entire careeer with. You can't say that's why he thrived, he played the game that his team and line needed. An unrelated story [like most of mine]. A close friend of mine, grew big,young, he was about 6'1" 215 lbs. by his 15th birthday. He was playing Jr.B hockey in Town of Mount Royal and not really putting up numbers when Laval called and wanted him to practice for the rest of the year with them. Bossy was getting cheapshotted and they thought my buddy could ride shotgun. I remember him telling me how he coulodn't score on Robert Sauve in practice and how Bossy was just a world above everyone else. In the end, they realized my old pal was amongst the gentler people in this world and wouldn't fight someone to get a crowd going. Alas,he never played a game alongside Bossy.

As for Robinson, Lapointe and Savard rank as all timers too. Robinson wasn't overrated because he matured on a great team, he was a big reason as to why that team was great. Forcing passes now and then was his weakness, but I think you could find a fault in any D's game. Harvey would play around with the puck to anny Blake. Orr had to be caught out of position on occasion. Potvin could take himself out of a play trying to make a big hit,they all had faults.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Corey said:
Why would anyone create such a thread? Is there nothing more substantial to discuss? The last time I looked the lockout has ended, a new CBA signed, and teams and players are preparing from training camps. How about asking which is more overrated, vitamin A or vitamin C? :shakehead

Sadly, there are many poor misguided souls out there who seek to create their own infamy by trying to start trouble. Sadder still, they are rarely bright enough to come up with anything intelligent enough to create any real substance. They resort to the "who's the biggest poopy head?" stuff. It gets pretty tiresome, but eventually the world learns to ignore them, and like the monsters under the bed, without attention they disappear..

The G Man

Feb 27, 2002
HF Old School
chooch said:
Bossy:

Was a premier sniper who could score at will, bouncing puck, tough checking, playoffs etc. Don't have much else good to say.

Was weak defensively. Never dominated a single game, N-e-v-e-r. Always needed to be set up. Couldnt stickhandle or cut at speed. Every see him dance away from 5 players and score a timely goal?

Bottom line: was greatly assisted by starting out on an expansion team (imagine Lafleur in Oakland ?) and by playing with the best all round player of his generation and the best defensiveman.

His stock has greatly risen after retirement based on inflated 80's stats.

Bossy gets my vote for more overated
It's clear you never saw him play. N-e-v-e-r. With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
The G Man said:
It's clear you never saw him play. N-e-v-e-r. With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Given that he believes Bossy benefitted from playing on an "expansion" team when the Isles had five seasons under the bridge when Bossy was drafted, I think it was pretty clear he was talking out of his *** from the moment his fingers hit the keyboard.

The G Man

Feb 27, 2002
HF Old School
Chooch said:
Mario was the superior player from 86 onwards. And before that Trottier and Bossy were the best players following the Lafleur era.
I don't know what the bigger oversight is ... the guy the other day who forgot that September still had to happen before the October 1 deadline got here, or this guy missing a little known player called "Gretzky."

:shakehead

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
The G Man said:
I don't know what the bigger oversight is ... the guy the other day who forgot that September still had to happen before the October 1 deadline got here, or this guy missing a little known player called "Gretzky."

Sadly, G-Man, he was aware of Gretzky when he made this post, but feels that Gretzky is a pooper. I'm not sure, but I think the praise heaped on Gretzky makes him feel that in some way his own idols are less viagaratastic. It would take much deeper research by a qualified psychologist to be certain just how serious the problem is...

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
The G Man said:

I think Gretzky ran over chooch's dog the way he talks about him.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Dr Love said:
I think Gretzky ran over chooch's dog the way he talks about him.

I understand the pooch may have been one of those fabulous "mike modano" style giant poodles that the owners are always fawning over, prettying up with ribbons and bows, shampooing and trimming the toe-nails and so forth. Losing such a fantastic pet may lead to thinly veiled aggression and feelings of inadequacy, causing hostile and irrational behavior ...

The G Man

Feb 27, 2002
HF Old School
You're kidding me? As an Islander fan, Gretzky was our #1 nemesis during our hay day and there was no love lost. But there is no disputing his place in history. Good Lord, what's next? Michael Jordan was a one dimensional showoff?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Robinson played as complete a game as any defenceman I can think of.

Bossy was one of the best goal scorers (by gpg) in the history of the game.

Why is either 'overrated'?

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
I would say something probably really mean about your knowledge of the game, but everything has been covered by the previous posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad