Who is Matthew Tkachuk and what will he become?

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Tkachuck is Flames very own Raffi Torres.

I see a lot of 15 - 25 goal seasons while being one of the dirtiest most hated players the league.

Except Tkachuk is 10x the player Torres ever was and has actually cut down on most of the super dirty stuff he did early last season.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Plays a terrific possesion and defensive game while also putting up points. Also love that he's been getting better and staying on the right side of the line between being chippy and being dirty

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

member 88115

Will become the next Sean Avery. jk. Kid has some skill, but so did Avery. :D

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wasnt wanting the Flames to draft him, thought he was going to turn into a 3rd liner at best. However hes already a proven 2nd liner and improving. Perry type player is where I think he will end up. Lots of 30 goal and 60-70 point seasons in the NHL. Hes someone you hate to play against and love on your team. You need heart and soul guys like him to win playoff games.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Will become the next Sean Avery. jk. Kid has some skill, but so did Avery. :D
Avery played 11 years and his best season was 39 points and a crack at Dion's wife, Tkachuk at 18 had a 48 point season and just might have told Doughty something about his GF :naughty:

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
As a Ducks fan I hate him....

...however as a hockey fan I love him. This current incarnation of the NHL 'needs' more players like him to liven things up. While it's now a highly skilled, fast game to watch...it's really boring at times. Having Tkachuk stir things up constantly is pure entertainment (which in the end is what the game is all about). As long as he keeps things on the clean side of dirty I'm all for his antics.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sky’s the limit.
He’s big, ultra skilled, can actually skate now, uses his body, he’s responsible in all three zones, has that nasty in him, gets top five players off their game nightly... like, an awesome young player.

Right now, from his draft year and the year before; there are maybe 3 or 4 players I take in front of him (the ones you think)

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Right now, from his draft year and the year before; there are maybe 3 or 4 players I take in front of him (the ones you think)

I would go

McDavid
Matthews
Eichel
Marner
Puljujarvi
Tkachuk
Werenski

But it's a strong two draft classes. I haven't even touched Provorov, Hanifin, Laine, Keller and Sergachev.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would go

McDavid
Matthews
Eichel
Marner
Puljujarvi
Tkachuk
Werenski

But it's a strong two draft classes. I haven't even touched Provorov, Hanifin, Laine, Keller and Sergachev.

I'd personally have Tkachuk over Marner and Puljujarvi's not even in the conversation. One's PPG and has dominated games in the NHL, the other one isn't even the best player on his AHL team.

It's really, really early; but Tkachuk's mix of everything... I really only have McDavid, Eichel, Matthews and maybe Werenski over him. Of all that draft class, McDavid's the only player that's clearly more complete than Tkachuk.

Reactions: GlobalThreat

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I'd personally have Tkachuk over Marner and Puljujarvi's not even in the conversation. One's PPG and has dominated games in the NHL, the other one isn't even the best player on his AHL team.

It's really, really early; but Tkachuk's mix of everything... I really only have McDavid, Eichel, Matthews and maybe Werenski over him. Of all that draft class, McDavid's the only player that's clearly more complete than Tkachuk.

That's fair. I can respect an opinion having Tkachuk immediately after just McDavid, Eichel and Matthews. He certainly brings a unique and valuable element to the table.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
60 to 65 point pest/power foward who is very complimentary to a line-driving center.

Of guys from 2015 and 2016. I'd take McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Laine, and Marner ahead of him, and would strongly consider Provorov, Aho, and Werenski. I'm not sure I see an extremely high-ceiling for Tkachuk, as I view him more as a complimentary player than a guy who drives his own line (something he hasn't been asked to do since Bantam).

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Matt Tkachuk would never make team Canada unless it was a Kunitz-like choice.

****ting over what bud? They have more cups in the past 6 years than your team has in franchise history. Humble yourself. You have a few good players and you're here thumping your chest acting like you've won multiple cups. [mod]

Don't worry. Many of our lesser cousins down South are similar. It's the way they like to roll.

:naughty:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As a Ducks fan I hate him....

...however as a hockey fan I love him. This current incarnation of the NHL 'needs' more players like him to liven things up. While it's now a highly skilled, fast game to watch...it's really boring at times. Having Tkachuk stir things up constantly is pure entertainment (which in the end is what the game is all about). As long as he keeps things on the clean side of dirty I'm all for his antics.

Concur wholeheartedly. Love having a guy involved in everything. Just stay on the clean side of the line and I'll be a forever fan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
60 to 65 point pest/power foward who is very complimentary to a line-driving center.

Of guys from 2015 and 2016. I'd take McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Laine, and Marner ahead of him, and would strongly consider Provorov, Aho, and Werenski. I'm not sure I see an extremely high-ceiling for Tkachuk, as I view him more as a complimentary player than a guy who drives his own line (something he hasn't been asked to do since Bantam).

I hate to be that guy; but watch that Kings game. Backlund wasn’t the driver of that line all night. Tkachuk has the ability to take over a game above someone like Marner in my opinion. Simply because he was always the second fiddle (whether it be because he was younger, or behind a top C), doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the ability to be the guy; he’s shown over the past year that he can definitely drive play and be the main man.

Calgary seems to be in a weird spot; where Tkachuk’s success is accredited to Backlund’s progress... yet Backlund to a huge portion of this board is still referred to as a third line centre. It’s the same stuff we hear about our defence: Giordano’s not a true 1D, but Hamilton is only a produce of Gio haha.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I hate to be that guy; but watch that Kings game. Backlund wasn’t the driver of that line all night. Tkachuk has the ability to take over a game above someone like Marner in my opinion. Simply because he was always the second fiddle (whether it be because he was younger, or behind a top C), doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the ability to be the guy; he’s shown over the past year that he can definitely drive play and be the main man.

Calgary seems to be in a weird spot; where Tkachuk’s success is accredited to Backlund’s progress... yet Backlund to a huge portion of this board is still referred to as a third line centre. It’s the same stuff we hear about our defence: Giordano’s not a true 1D, but Hamilton is only a produce of Gio haha.
Except Backlund is clearly a quality #2 center, and he plays with another strong possession guy in Frolik a significant amount of the time. You can argue Backlund is a 1b/2a at this point.

Tkachuk's good, but he simply doesn't drive play like the other players. The age difference between him and Marner during their year with the Knights was 7 months. Marner was always the driver of play and creativity for that unit.

In my opinion, he most likely tops out as a high-end complimentary 1st line winger. His combination of drive and high-iq will get him there, but he doesn't tend to be the driver of play.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Except Backlund is clearly a quality #2 center, and he plays with another strong possession guy in Frolik a significant amount of the time. You can argue Backlund is a 1b/2a at this point.

Tkachuk's good, but he simply doesn't drive play like the other players. The age difference between him and Marner during their year with the Knights was 7 months. Marner was always the driver of play and creativity for that unit.

In my opinion, he most likely tops out as a high-end complimentary 1st line winger. His combination of drive and high-iq will get him there, but he doesn't tend to be the driver of play.

I feel you might be still identifying him as Tkachuk from the Knights versus the Flames.

I’ll just agree to disagree; because watching him, you can clearly see the kid drives play, whether it be getting the puck deep, using that frame to protect the puck to find a teammate or making a power move out front... I really think the guy has the ability to be the power forward or one of the best power forwards in the league.
Less Maroon more Benn imo.

Reactions: JPeeper

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

I mean yeah, Backlund is real good, but Tkachuk is way more than just a complimentary player, Tkachuk is 80% of the offensive creativity on that line. Tkachuk is an extremely underrated player when it comes to his actual play, a lot of people just see the pest in him, but he'll be a 70 point player in no time (20-50), his vision with the puck is insanely good.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Believe his younger brother is bigger and, allegedly, nastier. While this will never happen unless Kings or Oilers tank, but it would be interesting if either got a Tkachuk on their team..
Talk about some potentially fun match ups. In this case would ice be thicker than blood? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->