Who is Going to Win?

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Leo Naphta said:
Hey, I don't want Finland to win. I'm cheering for Sweden alright. But I do think that Finland deserves it more. That's quite a different thing.

Winning for Finland would be big. But it wouldn't have much importance in the grand scheme of things for Sweden. We have already won a much, much more important trophy this year.

You're an honourable guy with good judgement, and I've seen you're giving Finland the respect they deserve. But I think you overestimate the importance of a Finnish gold, because most finns realize that the World champs don't mean zip compared to the World Cup or the Olympics.

Sweden finally won the trophy :cry: , while Finland has to wait 4 years until the next chance comes for them to win it. Our only comfort is that Finland finally has reached the same quality level and chance to win as the other "top-6 nations" (xcept Canada), so of course we'll take a couple of (almost meaningless) gold medals in the World Champs during the coming 20 years, but the thing that really matters is winning a Big tournament! It's just that the tough reality is that they're held only every 4th year...

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Slime said:
...Sweden finally won the trophy :cry: , while Finland has to wait 4 years until the next chance comes for them to win it. Our only comfort is that Finland finally has reached the same quality level and chance to win as the other "top-6 nations" (xcept Canada)...

Just to give a little perspective one could of
course think, that in the last two best-of-the-best
tournaments, one played in an NHL-environment and
the other in an IIHF-environment, we have been the
most consistent one, with only CZE coming close
(third in OGs and semifinalist in WorldCup).
The other finalists in these competitions were not
even close to us in the other tournament (CAN 7th in OGs,
SWE only made it to the QF in World Cup).

It could be argued, that our present day best-of-the-best
hockey is closest to being the most complete one,
regardless of the environment.

Personally, I'm quite proud of that fact.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad