Who is comparable to Orr offensive game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
After almost a year of research and stuff I have come a little closer to what kind of a player Bobby Orr was. But there is still a couple of questions that trouble my mind.

First off, which d-mens have been close to Bobby Orr in term of offensive ALONE? Is it Paul Coffey? or maybe Bourque?

and what about Orr allround game? I often heard Scott Nierdemayer have a similar allround game to Orr but ofcourse Nierdemayer is not putting up as much points.

So anyone? hope GeeWally see this :)

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Roberto Luongo said:
After almost a year of research and stuff I have come a little closer to what kind of a player Bobby Orr was. But there is still a couple of questions that trouble my mind.

First off, which d-mens have been close to Bobby Orr in term of offensive ALONE? Is it Paul Coffey? or maybe Bourque?

and what about Orr allround game? I often heard Scott Nierdemayer have a similar allround game to Orr but ofcourse Nierdemayer is not putting up as much points.

So anyone? hope GeeWally see this :)

Coffey would be the closest I have seen, but he was still light years away from Bobby Orr, even offensively. Orr was much better defensively and could fight, too.
Imagine the very best parts of Coffey's and Niedermayer's games, then make them 100% better. Orr was that good.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Not unlike the other player you recently asked about (Mike Bossy), there is no comparison. And in this case, it's even more true.

Offensively, style wise, one supposes that Coffey's skating are worthy of mention. But the conversation ends there. As far as possessing an all-around game, Denis Potvin was the most complete dman I've seen next to Orr, but his offensive game was much more cerebral and he is a decided second to #4.

Trust me: This isn't hype or someone overstating the memories of his youth. Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player I've ever seen. Or will ever see, I'm pretty certain.

To compare any mere mortal to the guy is an embarassment to the former and an injustice to the latter.

Picture the one advanced kid on the pond who skates around all the beginners at will. That's the best comparsion.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For me its a Forsberg and Leetch combination. Strong on the puck and great vision like Forsberg. Plus he also had Forsberg's acceleration with the puck and grit on the ice. The Leetch comparison comes from Leetchs great stickhandling and lateral skating. Leetchs array of shots also reminds me of Orr.

Transported Upstater

Trottier said:
Not unlike the other player you recently asked about (Mike Bossy), there is no comparison. And in this case, it's even more true.

Offensively, style wise, one supposes that Coffey's skating are worthy of mention. But the conversation ends there. As far as possessing an all-around game, Denis Potvin was the most complete dman I've seen next to Orr, but his offensive game was much more cerebral and he is a decided second to #4.

Trust me: This isn't hype or someone overstating the memories of his youth. Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player I've ever seen. Or will ever see, I'm pretty certain.

To compare any mere mortal to the guy is an embarassment to the former and an injustice to the latter.

Picture the one advanced kid on the pond who skates around all the beginners at will. That's the best comparsion.

Awesome post.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Coffey was the closest to Orr in terms of offensive dominance, but even he had a long way to go to catch #4.

Most dominant single-season performances, defensemen
1970: Bobby Orr: Boston Bruins: 120 pts. … Carol Vadnais: Oakland Seals: 44 pts. … 63.3%
1971: Bobby Orr: Boston Bruins: 139 pts. … J.C. Tremblay: Montreal Canadiens: 63 pts. … 54.7%
1973: Bobby Orr: Boston Bruins: 101 pts. … Guy Lapointe: Montreal Canadiens: 54 pts. … 46.5%
1975: Bobby Orr: Boston Bruins: 135 pts. … Denis Potvin: New York Islanders: 76 pts. … 43.7%
1965: Pierre Pilote: Chicago Blackhawks: 59 pts. … Ted Green: Boston Bruins: 35 pts. … 40.7%
1986: Paul Coffey: Edmonton Oilers: 138 pts. … Larry Robinson: Montreal Canadiens: 82 pts. … 40.6%
1972: Bobby Orr: Boston Bruins: 117 pts. … Brad Park: New York Rangers: 73 pts. … 37.6%
1989: Paul Coffey: Pittsburgh Penguins: 113 pts. … Steve Duchesne: Los Angeles Kings: 75 pts. … 33.6%
1951: Red Kelly: Detroit Red Wings: 54 pts. … Jim Thomson: Toronto Maple Leafs: 36 pts. … 33.3%
1974: Bobby Orr: Boston Bruins: 122 pts. … Brad Park: New York Rangers: 82 pts. … 32.8%

Note 1: this is only for 1943-present
Note 2: McCabe is on pace for a 34.6% victory over Visnovsky. This puts him on pace for the 8th most dominant offensive season ever (from a defensemen). (Yes, I realize he has a long way to go).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad