Who is Brule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
moosefan said:
a better skating Trottier though. Brule is an amazing skater.

Trottier was pretty legendary on his skates. His teammates and coaches say he used to go MONTHS without ever falling to the ice. For a guy who threw his body around, that is pretty incredible. I know some forwards are on their butt a half dozen times a game. He might not have had Brule's jets, but he probably had some of the best balance and strength on his skates that the NHL has ever seen.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Jay Thompson said:
Was just going to say this.
Brule probobly won't go #1 in 2005, but I do think that he is the better prospect than Crosby, though I know a great many people disagree with me ;)

How can you honestly think that? I know Brule is a great two way player but I dont even think he'll go second latendresse will probably pull ahead due to the same offensive ability and much greater size

Crosby IMO is a much better prospect than anyone we've seen in years

pseudonym

Jul 8, 2004
I just hope the Caps finish in last place, as well they should, to guarantee they land one of these two guys. A legit #1 center prospect is something the team could really afford to add to their stable, and these two kids are made to order for the part. Not a bad linemate for Ovechkin, either way.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Trottier was pretty legendary on his skates. His teammates and coaches say he used to go MONTHS without ever falling to the ice. For a guy who threw his body around, that is pretty incredible. I know some forwards are on their butt a half dozen times a game. He might not have had Brule's jets, but he probably had some of the best balance and strength on his skates that the NHL has ever seen.

He was strong on his skates, but he was below par with his speed and acceleration, I was saying Brule has the jets and agility and acceleration to go with great balance.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crosbyfan said:
Why do his stats not do him justice? Is he incredible yet frustrating to watch? Poor linemates? Why in particular are his +/- at best average for his team?

His stats of course are exceptional (including the average +/-) for a 16/17 year old rookie, although no more impressive than Little in the OHL at 15/16 and Latendresse in the Q at 16 (especially in +/-relative to team mates). So what is it that keeps him ranked ahead of these players that are both younger than he is? The stats must not be doing him justice, but why?

Is the only stat you use +/-???

You bring it up in every post.

No one cares about +/-

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
La-La-Laprise said:
Is the only stat you use +/-???

You bring it up in every post.

No one cares about +/-

that is true, +/- does not tell you everything. Players could be greta 2 way forwards but play on a really bad line or team and their +/- will not reflect how good they are as they might have a -7 or somthing, where as an offensive superstar who might not be all that good in the defensive zone could have a +20 because his line is scoring about 80 goals a season. IMO +/- is a very overrated stat

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Let's put it this way - if both Brule and Crosby put up 130-150 points next season to lead each of their respective league's in scoring, then you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be scouts ranking Brule ahead of Crosby. And you certainly can't say with any degree of certainty that Brule WON"T do that. It may be unlikely, but not beyond the realm of possibility given his talents (and team-mates next year).

That would be like saying there was no way anyone would be picked ahead of Daniel Cleary the year before his draft year because Cleary had 50 goals and 100+ points as a 16 year old in the OHL. Fast forward 12 months, and Cleary's development stagnated, and others didn't. Cleary was taken in the middle of the first round.

Now don't take that the wrong way - Crosby is no Cleary, as he has proven much more, including the fact he has much more natural talent and uses it better and at a higher level, but the fact is there are certain players that develop earlier, and there are others that improve leaps and bounds from the age of 16 to 17. From what it seems, Crosby is the type of player that will actually continue to improve, but it isn't guaranteed. And it is certainly possible Brule will improve dramatically, and let's say Crosby put's up a similar performance next year (or heaven forbid, maybe even drops a bit in production), then we may have our selves a debate. Let's face it - there are no certainties when dealing with 16 and 17 year olds. Of course that also means it's possible the gap between the two could widen, rather than tighten, but it seems Brule has a much better situation to improve on.

After all, what the heck does Crosby do for an encore? I can't wait to see.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Let's put it this way - if both Brule and Crosby put up 130-150 points next season to lead each of their respective league's in scoring, then you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be scouts ranking Brule ahead of Crosby. And you certainly can't say with any degree of certainty that Brule WON"T do that. It may be unlikely, but not beyond the realm of possibility given his talents (and team-mates next year).

That would be like saying there was no way anyone would be picked ahead of Daniel Cleary the year before his draft year because Cleary had 50 goals and 100+ points as a 16 year old in the OHL. Fast forward 12 months, and Cleary's development stagnated, and others didn't. Cleary was taken in the middle of the first round.

Now don't take that the wrong way - Crosby is no Cleary, as he has proven much more, including the fact he has much more natural talent and uses it better and at a higher level, but the fact is there are certain players that develop earlier, and there are others that improve leaps and bounds from the age of 16 to 17. From what it seems, Crosby is the type of player that will actually continue to improve, but it isn't guaranteed. And it is certainly possible Brule will improve dramatically, and let's say Crosby put's up a similar performance next year (or heaven forbid, maybe even drops a bit in production), then we may have our selves a debate. Let's face it - there are no certainties when dealing with 16 and 17 year olds. Of course that also means it's possible the gap between the two could widen, rather than tighten, but it seems Brule has a much better situation to improve on.

After all, what the heck does Crosby do for an encore? I can't wait to see.

BUT as of today July 14, 2004 it does seem very SLIM! That is the point.

If everything stays on course there is no way Brule will go #1.

Even if Crosby gets 135 pts again, Brule would need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt he is better.

The only thing Crosby has working against him is what J-Bo went through. Being in the scouts eyes for an extended period you can start to get stail.

Also for an Encore...why not being the first person in the Q to get 3 ppg in over 15 years or so.

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
E = CH² said:
Was Fortier the last one ?

I really cant remember, but there hasnt been one since 1996 i know of that.

Since about 89 the league started declining in goals.

Richards had 186 pts in 63 gams which was 3 pts off 3 pts per game, but he was 19 in a more offensive era. If Crosby can do that at 17, its unreal.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
What Dr Sense says is essentially how I feel.

I do honestly believe that Brule has a decent shot at #1, but he has to crack 100 points in the 'dub'. Make no mistake: General Managers in the NHL will take a WHL guy over a QMJHL guy 9 times out of 10 if they feel it's a close race. If Brule could put up as I said, 100 points and lead the WHL in scoring, Crosby in my mind would have to put up 180 points or more to be considered a better guy I'd think.

I think if you consider the ice time Crosby got last year in comparison to Brule, as well as the leagues, there is not a impossible gap here even for the most ardent Crosby fan. Does anyone recall in 2001 where Jason Spezza a year before the draft was considered the uncontested 1st overall pick in 2001 until Ilya Kovalchuk exploded at a tournament in Finland? Or, as mentioned, Daniel Cleary's big numbers in the OHL? It's easy to say now that Crosby is more talented than Cleary, now that Cleary barely made the NHL at all, but at the time some considered Crosby the best prospect to come down the pike in years, and I imagine many had him going #2 behind Joe Thornton.. some even #1 that year I'm sure.

As usual, the draft year will mean just about everything. Do not discount Brule yet though.. I think he has an excellent chance to lead the dub in points next season, what with him likely going to get about 5 - 7 more minutes of ice per game, better linemates, more PP times, and a year older. Crosby already was on the top line in Rimouski, so it'll be a challenge for him to do anything like 190 points like some may be expecting.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jay Thompson, id liek some evidence that NHL GM's will take a Dub kid 9 times out of 10.

Obviously a lot of them must be kicking themselves in the ass over the 98 draft.

Hmm the top 4 players are Lecavalier, Tanguay, Richards and Gagne and a whole LOT of "dub" kids went before some of them.

Honestly if GM's are picking based on league they shouldnt be a GM. IF a player is better from the QMJHL and who has more upside, they take that player, they dont take one from the WHL because they have ties to the league. Especially #1 overall pick.

Crosby could sit at home and eat candy all year and still go #1.

Dont people know by now that Crosby blows everyones expectations out of the water. Most peopel didnt think 80 pts was possible, and he rings up 135. Most peopel didnt think hed make U20 team...he did. He got 4th line ice and still finsihed as a top scorer on the team despite Tambellini missing open nets.

200 pts is possible, im not ruling anything out with Crosby.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I don't believe he could.

Don't believe me? Check out the last 4 drafts, look at all the WHL players. Sure Lecavalier was better, that's because Marleau couldn't touch him. In this case, Brule CAN touch Crosby.

Richards went in the third round, so I don't see how that is a very good arguement in the least.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jay Thompson said:
I don't believe he could.

Don't believe me? Check out the last 4 drafts, look at all the WHL players. Sure Lecavalier was better, that's because Marleau couldn't touch him. In this case, Brule CAN touch Crosby.

Richards went in the third round, so I don't see how that is a very good arguement in the least.

Im just saying...with #1 overall picks you dont pick favourite leagues...you pick the best player.

Brule is a good player but i dont think he holds a candle to Crosby. Brule should be looking behind him, instead of infront of him.

Anikennko, Latendresse and Bertram are charging hard.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Im just saying...with #1 overall picks you dont pick favourite leagues...you pick the best player.

Brule is a good player but i dont think he holds a candle to Crosby. Brule should be looking behind him, instead of infront of him.

Anikennko, Latendresse and Bertram are charging hard.

The thing is, given the style of play of both of them, if Brule does crack 100 points and get within a sniff of the same production of Crosby, then there will be GM's who move over to Brule's corner.

And scoring points in the Q is always looked at with a little more scrutiny - sometime unfairly so - but that doesn't change it. If Crosby scores only about the same production next year - which is the same P-M Bouchard did in his draft - will that create questions?

You are right that if things stay on track, there is no doubt Crosby will be the uncontested #1. But things simply never "stay on track" for 16 year olds. Some stagnate, some explode. I mean, no one had ever even heard of Ed Jovanovski before his draft year, as was mentioned, the same pretty much goes for Kovalchuk, at least in North America.

Finally, and to your point, it is more likely Brule will get passed by another prospect than he will pass Crosby. But with guys this age, our point is simply that BOTH situations are indeed possible.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
pseudonym said:
I just hope the Caps finish in last place, as well they should, to guarantee they land one of these two guys. A legit #1 center prospect is something the team could really afford to add to their stable, and these two kids are made to order for the part. Not a bad linemate for Ovechkin, either way.

I hear that. :)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Dr.Sens(e) said:
The thing is, given the style of play of both of them, if Brule does crack 100 points and get within a sniff of the same production of Crosby, then there will be GM's who move over to Brule's corner.

And scoring points in the Q is always looked at with a little more scrutiny - sometime unfairly so - but that doesn't change it. If Crosby scores only about the same production next year - which is the same P-M Bouchard did in his draft - will that create questions?

You are right that if things stay on track, there is no doubt Crosby will be the uncontested #1. But things simply never "stay on track" for 16 year olds. Some stagnate, some explode. I mean, no one had ever even heard of Ed Jovanovski before his draft year, as was mentioned, the same pretty much goes for Kovalchuk, at least in North America.

Finally, and to your point, it is more likely Brule will get passed by another prospect than he will pass Crosby. But with guys this age, our point is simply that BOTH situations are indeed possible.

Crosby isnt some some Panzy, he fights on the ice. I wouldnt say Brule is much more physical compared to Crosby.

Both could happen, anything could really happen, but it will take a small miricle on Brule's part. No disrespect to him because he is a great talent himself.

stockwizard*

What you people haven't taken into account is you have to compare the #1 scorer to the second best scorer.

For example, if Crosby scores 150 points in 58 games next year, and the next best player has 95 points, then that would be a huge year.

This would be much greater than if someone leads the Q in scoring with 180 points, and there are 10 other guys who scores 150+ points.

stockwizard*

Crosby is way stronger than Brule.
I watched some clips of him playing at Shattuck and he was throwing around 17 year olds.
He would just bulldose himself towards the front of the net pushing everyone out of his way.
Brule is older than Crosby and I have seen him listed at 5'10 165.
Crosby on the other hand is 5'11 190 pounds.
Brule plays with an edge to his game, but so does Crosby. To imply Brule has some sort of physical edge over Crosby would be foolish.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Crosby isnt some some Panzy, he fights on the ice. I wouldnt say Brule is much more physical compared to Crosby.

Both could happen, anything could really happen, but it will take a small miricle on Brule's part. No disrespect to him because he is a great talent himself.

I agree that Crosby is no softy- he is truly great fighting for the puck along the boards, which set's him apart from most undersized scoring machines from the Q.

That said, Brule is a lot more physical than Crosby. At least from all the scouting reports I've read, and the one time I saw him play.

stockwizard*

IF Brule makes the U-20 Junior team this coming year, and he somehow outperforms Crosby, then come draft day it may be close between them. Brule turns 18 part way through the tournament, so if he doesn't make the team he has a 0% chance of surpassing Crosby.

It is totally ludicris to say if Brule scores 100 points in the Western Hockey league, it is the same or better than Crosby scoring 180 points in the Q. Especially if Crosby outscores the next best guy by 70 or 80 points.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
It might be that Crosby topped a little early. He's done so much so early that people can't see much room for improvement. That's where perfection has its holes. Brule and Cros are both about the same size, Crosby holding the edge but people believe Brule can go #1 because of what he can do and for what they think he might be able to accomplish . It'll be closer than most think. I still think Sid goes #1 and without much debate but that's because any team passing him over will kick himself in the nuts even if Brule turns out to be better. By that I mean it's safer to pick Sid at the moment because he will be productive in the big leagues no matter what. Brule is much more of a project though I don't doubt he'll perform. This recent surge of doubt has pitched itself in the twilight only because someone speculated Brule is the better talent.

Zetterberg4Captain*

i have seen this kid play and beleive me whoever gets the second pick in the 2005 entry draft will be just as pleased to get Brule as they would be to get Crosby.

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Brule is an amazing talent and by all accounts will turn into a beauty of a pro. That being said, Crosby is by far the better player. Anyone who thinks Brule has a chance to go #1 is dreaming. I'm a western guy and have seen more of Brule but I'm not going to be biased just cause Brule is a western kid. Crosby is the better player by quite a margin and that is the simple truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad