Who in the NHL will be bought out? Every team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
mooseOAK said:
If a couple of guys in the whole league get bought out I will be surprised. Faced with decreased revenues teams aren't going to have the funds available for lump sum payments like that.

Alot of teams may have to in order to have the cap room to sign their RFA's.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Fox needs to proof-read their articles before posting them. Along with the Thornton omission they also have Damphousse down as making 1.5M and an unrestricted free agent at the same time......quit reading right after that.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
OilDrop89 said:
Fox needs to proof-read their articles before posting them. Along with the Thornton omission they also have Damphousse down as making 1.5M and an unrestricted free agent at the same time......quit reading right after that.

Fox is not known for there top-notch hockey reporters. :shakehead

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Kritter471 said:
No way the Stars buyout Lehtinen. He may make too much for his points-production, but he brings so much else to the table.

The other two (Guerin, Turgeon) are almost definitely gone.
Spot on. Lehtinen has about a -700% chance of being bought out. Hell when he signed the deal it was at below market value.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
A nice effort, but way over-estimating the number of buyouts.

I think you'll see only a handful league wide. A couple of big names, that's it.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The Sens will have to buy out deVries for sure. They can't pay their #4, possibly #5 defenseman $2.3 million after he dissapointed in the playoffs.

I'm not sure what they will do with Smolinski though. I could see them keeping him around.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
PecaFan said:
A nice effort, but way over-estimating the number of buyouts.

I think you'll see only a handful league wide. A couple of big names, that's it.

I don't think they're over-estimating, they only predicted twenty players (with one maybe), which sounds completely reasonable to me.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Why buyout de Vries? So we can sign another #4 defenceman for $1.5 million - effectively paying $900,000 just for the luxury of an additional $800,000 in cap space?

Doesn't seem like something the Sens would do, unless they desperately needed the cap space. Furthermore, any replacement would probably want a 2+ year contract. We probably don't need anyone for longer than a year.

Unless of course you plan on a Volchenkov/Pothier/Schubert bottom three (or some cheap hack like Simpson), which is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Lexicon Devil said:
Why buyout de Vries? So we can sign another #4 defenceman for $1.5 million - hence paying $1.7 million to de Vries just for the luxury of $800,000 in cap space?

Doesn't seem like something the Sens would do, unless they desperately needed the cap space.
They have $24 million taken in salaries already. They have to re-sign Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Fisher, Volchenkov, Neil, and Vermette for sure, IMO, and they aren't all going to fit in there. One of deVries or Smolinski has to go. I just think deVries makes more sense.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
Chaos said:
Doesnt look like they took the 24% rollback into effect..Lehtinen will be making $3.65 million before the rollback(according to the NHLPA site), and just $2.77 million after.

Actually if you look at the Dec 9 proposal on the NHLPA site, it has the 05-06 numbers for all teams and it says Lehtinen is supposed to make $3,572,000 AFTER the rollback. Fox used the 05-06 contracts since they must be assuming the 04-05 contracts are goin to be wiped out. I'm guessing this is where they got their numbers from for all teams. They just rounded up for salaries to get the $3.6 mil figure for Lehtinen.

Also the NHLPA proposal says Gratton will be making $1.9 mil after the rollback.

If you want to check the Dec 9 proposal for the 05-06 contract values, for each team they're in exhibit 9, the 2nd page of each team has the 05-06 salaries.
https://www.nhlpa.com/Proposal/NHLPAcomProposal.pdf

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
They don't HAVE to go. They can easily afford to keep both de Vries or Smolinski if the cap is what it's reported to be. They'd even have room left over for a UFA.

I don't know what FOX is talking about, but I have no problem making the numbers add up to less than $38 million.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
The thing that I found odd about the article.....and the reason I'm taking the whole thing with a big grain of Sea Salt......is the fact that it is predicting a very, very large of buyouts, which is fine, but the wording he is using at the end of each analysis, he seems to feel that only a few teams will be in the FA pool.....and they are the usual "big spending" suspects from before. Don't get the whole concept and magnitude of the change in landscape do they?

For me, that just killed any credibility that the article had.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I personally think Colorado may buy out Blake (oldest player) to keep the younger core of players intact. This would potentially give Colorado enough cap room to go after potential free agents like Niedermayer and Aucoin as long as their asking prices don't exceed 4 M by a great amount.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
jericholic19 said:
I personally think Colorado may buy out Blake (oldest player) to keep the younger core of players intact. This would potentially give Colorado enough cap room to go after potential free agents like Niedermayer and Aucoin as long as their asking prices don't exceed 4 M by a great amount.

I thought Blake would be a prime candidate too, they need the space and how much does he have left?

Nobody`s mentioned the most obvious choice if they don`t mind spending the money: Keith Tkachuk in St. Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad