Who have the best prospect list? Pittsburgh or Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Bandwagoner said:
Has any other team been as bad as them the past few years???
Florida? Bouwmeester, Horton, and Olesz? They've been rated number one for two years straight by The Hockey News.

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
Although they have no one as offensively scary as PITTS and WASH, I really like Chicago's list as well, with Babchuck, Barker and Seabrook on defense, sophmore Ruuttu, relative youngsters Bell and Calder and a handful of other prospects.

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
That even makes the gap more glaring, at least at the top:

Malkin, Fleury, Whitney and Welch

vs.

Semin, Fehr, Eminger and Morrison

Nothing against any of those players, and both organizations seem to have much to look forward to, but who in their right minds would trade one for one the four Pittsburgh has above for those four of Washington.

HAHA...whats with the getting all over Noah Welch...any person in their right mind would trade him for semin, fehr, and probably the 2 d men the caps have...hes older than all of them except morrison maybe and yet hasnt played in the nhl or done anything to say hes that much better than them...if semin was playing in america and the caps offered a one for one with welch and semin, im sure pitt would do that in a heartbeat because its a steal for them

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
Pens1566 said:
Chicago and Washington. Pens made the east finals in 2001.

and the caps were in the playoffs more recently than pitt...your point? wow they bombed one season, not 3 like pitt

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
bryan579 said:
and the caps were in the playoffs more recently than pitt...your point? wow they bombed one season, not 3 like pitt

<insert economics rant>

2005: 1st
2004: 2nd
2003: 1st
2002: 5th

I hope so.

that's the point...pittsburgh has had excellent draft positions lately, and it's hard to believe any team could assemble the top-end talent (crosby, malkin, fleury and whitney) that the pens have.

in the longrun it could come down to who's mid-level prospects pan out. we all know guys like crosby, ovechkin, malkin and semin are likely to have great NHL careers. the difference will be judged when it comes down to who develops guys like chris bourque, boyd gordon, mike green and jonas johansson against guys like johannes salmonsson, daniel carcillo, paul bissonnette and alex goligoski. any of those named could be impact players in the NHL and that probably will ultimately decide who has a better stable of prospects.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
bryan579 said:
It will end up being more than a 3 year bomb for the caps with their lineup. Its a shame too. Always fun to end the caps season in the playoffs.

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
Pens1566 said:
It will end up being more than a 3 year bomb for the caps with their lineup. Its a shame too. Always fun to end the caps season in the playoffs.

...the whole point is you said the caps have bombed waaaaaaaaaay worse than the pens over the last 3 years when if you look back theyve only had 1 pick better than the #12 in 2002 which was the #1 in 2004 while the pens have had 2 firsts, the 2nd and a 5th...

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
bryan579 said:
...the whole point is you said the caps have bombed waaaaaaaaaay worse than the pens over the last 3 years when if you look back theyve only had 1 pick better than the #12 in 2002 which was the #1 in 2004 while the pens have had 2 firsts, the 2nd and a 5th...
The post I was responding to asked if any team had been as bad the past few years. I responded with Chicago and Washington. Where exactly did I say "the caps have bombed waaaaaaaaaay worse than the pens over the last 3 years"??? Nowhere, ever. They will continue to be a horrible team for the next few years though.

BTW, pens have the best prospects.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
bryan579 said:
The Capitals have had higher expectations the last 3 years.

Transported Upstater

Everyone's already said it, but Pittsburgh's top end is so disturbing it's VERY difficult to make an argument they aren't #1.

Transported Upstater

ClashCitiRockr said:
Florida? Bouwmeester, Horton, and Olesz? They've been rated number one for two years straight by The Hockey News.

I can't count Bouwmeester there... when you've made your country's National Team roster, you're not exactly a "prospect" any more.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
TransportedUpstater said:
I can't count Bouwmeester there... when you've made your country's National Team roster, you're not exactly a "prospect" any more.
Then Ovechkin, Malkin and Semin aren't prospects too :sarcasm: ... oh! and Vanek :D

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Pens have happened to suck at some very opportune times. 1984 and Mario (although to be honest they sucked a lot back then and before so it was almost inevitable that they would hit on a great player eventually). Then there was a brief downturn during a time when they were generally moving up and where they ended up picking number 5 one year - a guy named Jagr. Now they swoon just in time for the new CBA positioning themselves very well to add some top tier talent on the relative cheap (remember they still only have a $31 m. middle of the pack payroll) and end up with MAF, Malkin and Crosby during this 3 year swoon. They have been incredibly lucky as to when they went down though as well have also most of those opportunities adding some real talent at spots well below those top choices.

Maken*

bryan579 said:
if semin was playing in america and the caps offered a one for one with welch and semin, im sure pitt would do that in a heartbeat because its a steal for them

I wouldn't touch that trade with a 40 foot pole. Welch is exactly the type of player you want in your locker room. Semin is exactly the type of player you don't want in your locker room. The Pens are loaded on offense, and weak on D, Welch has potential to be a top 4 D-Man for years to come.

Steven Seagal

thomasincanada said:
When Malkin is your #2 prospect I think you have to be considered the team with the best prospects.

I've never been a big fan of teams being hugely rewarded for suckiness, though.

Tom

nuff said

DINO22CICCARELLI

May 6, 2004
Pens1566 said:

If you judge totally on talent leave your petty stuipd hatred and bias then it is easy to see which team has the best prospects by far and that team is washington.Why you say. First five goalies that figure to be starting in the NHL over the next five years that can and will be traded for greater talent in other areas. Ovechkin will prove to be the real deal and dominate the NHL for ten or more years and all this crap about who is better will be shown. Crosby turns out to be an average player with many injury problems ( sorry pttsburgh ). And the other 20 plus very good prospect washington has 10 wil play a major part in washington future while the rest will become good usefull players every team needs.

And to pens fans washington will win and challange for more cups than the pens. Have fun of always being on the outside never to join in the fun. Pens equals loserville so put that in your pens a****le and smoke it. :jump:

And one more thing Iam glad we got ovechkin not the pretty boy crosby. :clap: Well I would rather have all te caps prospects ( examples Fehr { scored 50 plus goals in a league that knew what defense was} Semin, Bourque just to name three) rhan all the othe teams.We have a very good balance of quality and numbers.

Last edited:

bizzz*

Kaizer said:
Then Ovechkin, Malkin and Semin aren't prospects too :sarcasm: ... oh! and Vanek :D
Don't forget Kopitar... He played for his national team before he was even drafted

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
DINO22CICCARELLI said:
And to pens fans washington will win and challange for more cups than the pens. Have fun of always being on the outside never to join in the fun. Pens equals loserville so put that in your pens a****le and smoke it. :jump:
Just like they've challenged for and won more cups than the pens.

DINO22CICCARELLI said:
And one more thing Iam glad we got ovechkin not the pretty boy crosby. :clap:

And I'm glad we got Fleury, Malkin, AND Crosby. Take off.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
DINO22CICCARELLI said:
If you judge totally on talent leave pit you stuipd hatred and bias then it is easy to see which team has the best prospects by far and thae team is washington.l Why yu say. First five goalies that figure to be starting in thNHL over the next five years that can and will be traded for greater taent in other areas. Ovechkin will prove to be the real deal and dominate the NHL for ten or more years and all this crap about who is bettered will be shown. Crosby turns out to be an average player with many injury problems ( sorry pttsburgh ). And the other 20 plus very good prospect washington has 10 wil play a major part ing washingtn future while the rest will become good usefull players every team needs.

And English is your first language?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
DINO22CICCARELLI said:
If you judge totally on talent leave pit you stuipd hatred and bias then it is easy to see which team has the best prospects by far and thae team is washington.l Why yu say. First five goalies that figure to be starting in thNHL over the next five years that can and will be traded for greater taent in other areas. Ovechkin will prove to be the real deal and dominate the NHL for ten or more years and all this crap about who is bettered will be shown. Crosby turns out to be an average player with many injury problems ( sorry pttsburgh ). And the other 20 plus very good prospect washington has 10 wil play a major part ing washingtn future while the rest will become good usefull players every team needs.

Wow . . . :eek:

This post threatens to be a classic. :bow:

Transported Upstater

Kaizer said:

1) Oh come on, be realistic... Vanek plays for Austria. Of course he's one of the best Austrians even as a youngster. How many Austrian NHLers can you name? Also, Austria isn't exactly in the Tier I of European leagues. Comparing making Austria's national team with Canada's is laughable.

I guarantee you most people would agree with me in that Bouwmeester is not considered a prospect under our notion of the term on this forum.

2) Ovechkin, Malkin and Semin are prospects to me because they are young and haven't played enough NHL hockey yet. But Semin is excellent, Malkin is amazing, and Ovechkin is better than both of them. Especially for the NHL; Ovechkin has good strength and will defend. There's very little Ovechkin doesn't excel at. Malkin is fantastic, but I would rather have Ovechkin. Don't think for a minute I think negatively about any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->