Who have the best prospect list? Pittsburgh or Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With the acquisition of Sidney Crosby, the top 5 of Pittsburgh is unbelievable (Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney and Welch) but the one of Washington (Ovechkin, Semin, Fehr, Eminger and Morrisonn) is also impressive. I am not prospectwise and I would like to see who you consider to have thebest prospect list, who have the most balanced prospect list etc.

(Please do not compare who's the best between Ovechkin and Crosby in this thread!)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Pittsburgh wins this one because of sheer depth alone. I personally, and objectively as possible, believe that the Pens top 5 or 6 is better than the Caps top 5 or 6, but the Pens definitely have better prospect depth and more quality players. Some of the Pens best prospects are not even cited amongst the players you mentioned.

Of course, you can acuse me of being a homer, but I really do believe the Pens have the best prospect pool in the league.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Ive gotta go with pittsburgh. I know i'm a pens fan. But IMO there is more talent in the pens top 5 than the caps. But the top 5 of the caps can easily be considered second best.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
JayRice66 said:
Ive gotta go with pittsburgh. I know i'm a pens fan. But IMO there is more talent in the pens top 5 than the caps. But the top 5 of the caps can easily be considered second best.

When Malkin is your #2 prospect I think you have to be considered the team with the best prospects.

I've never been a big fan of teams being hugely rewarded for suckiness, though.

Tom

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
jmelm said:
Pittsburgh wins this one because of sheer depth alone. I personally, and objectively as possible, believe that the Pens top 5 or 6 is better than the Caps top 5 or 6, but the Pens definitely have better prospect depth and more quality players. Some of the Pens best prospects are not even cited amongst the players you mentioned.

Of course, you can acuse me of being a homer, but I really do believe the Pens have the best prospect pool in the league.

Pittsburgh definitely has a better top 5, but depth is where I disagree w/you.

The Caps had 20 first rounders in camp this year. They win the depth battle clearly, IMO.

Pittsburgh overall, though. Especially with Semin blossoming into a headcase.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I'll go with Pittsburgh as well. They have Crosby, Malkin and Fleury as their top prospects. Well, at least Washington has Ovechkin...and by next year, probably Kessel.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
Right now, Pittsburgh. At the end of the season, most likely Washington if everything goes according to their plan.

Jo

Mar 11, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would take Pittsburgh also. Crosby and Malkin will be so dominant in the NEAR Future. But if washington gets Kessel they will be scary too.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
i go pitt because i like the guys you listed at 4 and 5 more than the ones for washington

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I'd take Pittsburgh as well, Washington does have more depth, but Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/Whitney is just absurd and better than Ovechkin/Semin/Fehr/Eminger quite clearly in my view.

TylerT

Mar 3, 2005
Vancouver
I think Pitsburgh having 3 of the top 7 prospects in the HF top 50 pretty much settles this dipute. Not only that they also have other highly touted prospects such as whitney and welch....by far the best prospect pool in the NHL. Personally I wouldn't even consider Washington as a lock for the 2nd spot, IMO Chicago and montreal should both be moving up the charts after this draft, while washington reached for Pokuluk (sp?) with their first pick.

halco

Oct 6, 2004
Texas
TylerT said:
I think Pitsburgh having 3 of the top 7 prospects in the HF top 50 pretty much settles this dipute. Not only that they also have other highly touted prospects such as whitney and welch....by far the best prospect pool in the NHL.

Agree - Pittsburgh's top prospects are better than Washington's.

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
According to HF definitions, the likes of Crosby or Ovechkin are not prospects. Weren't the organizational rankings based on players that hadn't graduated to the NHL? It's a silly criterion. The evaluation should be based on organizational depth with respect to players' ages, not playing level. Why shouldn't the Flyers, for example, count Pitkanen? He was drafted one position ahead of Whitney. Am I to believe that one doesn't qualify as a prospect and therefore his team isn't allowed to take credit for him because he's more advanced than a player who is being counted.

If you can't tell, this is a bigger beef I have with a HF "policy" in regard to the so-called meaningful organizational rankings, if one can call picking rules out of a hat a policy. Don't let me rain on the discussion, but be aware that a valid comparison this is not.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
stanley said:
According to HF definitions, the likes of Crosby or Ovechkin are not prospects. Weren't the organizational rankings based on players that hadn't graduated to the NHL? It's a silly criterion. The evaluation should be based on organizational depth with respect to players' ages, not playing level. Why shouldn't the Flyers, for example, count Pitkanen? He was drafted one position ahead of Whitney. Am I to believe that one doesn't qualify as a prospect and therefore his team isn't allowed to take credit for him because he's more advanced than a player who is being counted.

If you can't tell, this is a bigger beef I have with a HF "policy" in regard to the so-called meaningful organizational rankings, if one can call picking rules out of a hat a policy. Don't let me rain on the discussion, but be aware that a valid comparison this is not.
I concur, a U-22 (or whatever age is decided upon) look at all the players around the world would be very interesting IMO. Not that it would replace the prospect rankings necessarily, those could still be kept, they are useful when looking at a specific team, but overall a top fifty players under 22 (or some age) would make a lot more sense IMO, and it would drastically change organizational rankings.

Claypool_*

Does any team have 3 better prospects than Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury? Absolutly not.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
EroCaps said:
Pittsburgh definitely has a better top 5, but depth is where I disagree w/you.

The Caps had 20 first rounders in camp this year. They win the depth battle clearly, IMO.

Pittsburgh overall, though. Especially with Semin blossoming into a headcase.
1. If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.
How many actually meet that criteria?

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
stanley said:
According to HF definitions, the likes of Crosby or Ovechkin are not prospects.
Actually, they are still considered prospects, until the play 65 NHL games. Reference my above post.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
stanley said:

That even makes the gap more glaring, at least at the top:

Malkin, Fleury, Whitney and Welch

vs.

Semin, Fehr, Eminger and Morrison

Nothing against any of those players, and both organizations seem to have much to look forward to, but who in their right minds would trade one for one the four Pittsburgh has above for those four of Washington.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
If Semin listens to WSH and attends training camp/preseason then Washington, if he continue to hide in Russia. Pittsburgh.

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
ClashCitiRockr said:
Actually, they are still considered prospects, until the play 65 NHL games. Reference my above post.
Gosh, that's a rather arbitrary.

Providing a bulleted statement written as though it were copied verbatum from the Federal Register does not an objective statement make. The knowledge that someone actually sat down and came up with this criterion only cements my sentiment more: we are so married to the the second word in the website's title that we are unable to see the forest for the trees as it pertains to the evaluation of players. If we cannot accurately measure a player's contribution to his team's success, how can we accurately measure the player, or vice versa?

One can only wonder why the title of the prospect rankings are known as "organizational rankings," since they rank only arbitrarily chosen players and do not measure the actual organizational strength - which includes all the players and draft picks, along with the financial flexibility of an organization.

---------------------

At any rate, this thread wasn't started with the intent of quantifying the question, merely sought to solicit opinions. With that in mind, I apologize for discussing the above subject here, and carry on...

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
Jaded-Fan said:
That even makes the gap more glaring, at least at the top:

Malkin, Fleury, Whitney and Welch

vs.

Semin, Fehr, Eminger and Morrison

Nothing against any of those players, and both organizations seem to have much to look forward to, but who in their right minds would trade one for one the four Pittsburgh has above for those four of Washington.
My goal was not to evaluate any perceived difference between the young players of two teams, rather to suggest that the methods we use to rate them are utterly subjective in nature because we have no method to measure the organizations as respective wholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad