Who has more value: Dougie Hamilton, or Mitch Marner?

Who has more value?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Inspired by the amazing trade proposal thread currently ongoing in which fans of both teams are continually trying to place their player ahead in value of the other one.

Who is more valuable: the big defenseman, or the shifty winger?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
If we are assuming they can round out and play at the peak levels they have shown, Hamilton plays the more important position, but I think Marner is better at his peak in his position, if that makes sense.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
marner has some advantages. i.e. still on ELC. has a hell of a ceiling.

but a 50 point big 24 year old right handed dman? obviously hamilton.

Reactions: Lays

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Close to even for me. One plays a more commodity position, but caveat is the other is a ELC young winger with a elite ceiling, whom is already a line-driver.

I think Hamilton fits in a lot of the boxes of what you want from a top-pairing d-man- size, skating. The problem is, he really isn't that good defensively and makes bone-headed players every now and then.

If I had to give a comparable to him, he's similar to Gardiner. Spurts of playing like a top-pairing d-man, possibly even a #1 but just way too inconsistent to be relied upon.

From the Leafs end, while the value is debatably even, I wouldn't really put much thought into moving Marner for Hamilton. It's a considerable notion but still a easy no. Some of that has to do with seeing how talented Marner is and how much his game can grow in the future. Think it would be a previous Leaf GM mistake (call it Burke, Nonis, whatever) if we sold him short of a elite, comparable young D prospect or a D with better pedigree defensively.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
A very good RHD has more value than a very good winger. Take the hall-Larsson trade for example

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you're being honest you'd have to go with Marner.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It's debatable. Marner has the higher ceiling but Hamilton plays the more valuable position. I'll say even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad