Who has impressed you the most on each team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Who has impressed you the most on each team.

Canada: Lecavalier, Bowmeester, Draper
USA: Martin, Modano
Slovakia: : Cibak, :dunno:
Russia: Ovechkin, Bryskalov, Yashin
Finland: Kipprusoff, Koivu
Czech: Vokoun, Elias
Germany: Sturm, :dunno:
Sweden: Modin, Holmstrom

Last edited:

Ross MacLochness

Aug 12, 2004
Toronto
Canada: Draper, Doan, a few more..
USA: didn't really watch the U.S
Slovakia: ? Demitra
Russia: Bryskalov, Kovalev
Finland: Timmonen, Hentunen, Kipper
Czech: Elias, Cajanek, Havlat
Germany: Sturm, some defencman, name starts with an 'S' ( I'm remembering cause he was either good or really bad)

edit- like The Albino said... not the best, but the ones who have surprised me most.

Last edited:

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Canada: Lecavalier, Draper
USA: Tkachuk, Esche
Slovakia: : Gaborik
Russia: Ovechkin, Kovalev
Finland: Kipprusoff, Koivus (Mikko and Saku)
Czech: Vokoun, Elias
Germany: Sturm
Sweden: Modin

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Not necessarily the best, but guys who have surprised me with their play:

Canada: Jay Bouwmeester. The way he's played, it's almost a blessing that there were so many injuries to the d-corps so we could see this kid. ALMOST.
USA: Robert Esche. Was very solid throughout. I thought goaltending would be a weak point for the US, or at least a slight disadvantage compared to some other teams. Esche played as well as anybody.
Slovakia: Nobody really...
Russia: Kovalev in a good way, Kovalchuk in a bad way. Kovalev in that he played superb hockey, Kovalchuk in that he seemed to play quite selfishly. It wasn't only him, but every time he had 3 guys on him he seemed to take it as a challenge to get through them. I still think he's a great player though :)
Finland: Kiprussoff. I knew he was coming off a hot playoffs, but man this guy has been solid. Always in position. It must be comforting having him in nets.
Czechs: Tomas Kaberle. Played very well tonight and throughout the tourney.
Germany: See Slovakia :)
Sweden: Definitely Holmstrom. Gave it all every shift.

Vic Rattlehead*

Canada: Lecavalier, Checking unit
Sweden: Modin, Sundin
Czechs: Havlat, Vokoun
Slovakia: Gaborik
Germany: Goc
Finland: Kapanen, Kiprusoff, Koivu
USA: Esche, Tkachuk
Russia: Ovechkin(amazing game against the Slovaks), Kovalev.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I'm pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of:

Finland: Vanaanen
Czechs: Elias
Canada: Bouwmeester
Russia: Vishnevski

I'm begrudgedly surprised at the effectiveness of:

U.S.: Tkachuk

I could care less, but am surprised at the effectiveness of:

Slovaks: Cibak
Germany: Kreutzer

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
From the teams I've seen play...

Canada has Scott Niedermayer, Martin Brodeur, Jay Bouwmeester, Eric Brewer, and Vinnie Lecavalier who all stand out to me. Niedermayer has played very physical and Bouwmeester/Brewer have both been much better than anticipated. Lecavalier has continued his playoff tear and that tells me Tampa is going to continue to be dangerous. Broduer has been, well, Brodeur.

U.S.A. had a few players such as Paul Martin, Robert Esche, Steve Konowalchuk, and Scott Gomez. Martin has been much better than I dreamed he could be and Esche proved to me that he is no fluke goaltender like Philly is used to getting. Konowalchuk and his linemates all played solid adding physicalilty and some offense, though no scoring. Scott Gomez is the real standout - he's the future of USA hockey.

Russian defenseman Oleg Tverdovsky, despite Thorne's butchering of his last name, was quite good. Frolov had some good chances but failed to finish when necessary. Alexei Yashin was the real standout, he played some of the best hockey I've seen from him in recent memory.

Finland's goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff, nothing else needs to be said about him. Koivu and Selanne were both pretty good but Eloranta is, in my mind, the most impressive player on the Finnish team, perhaps because I wasn't expecting anything from him.

Czech Republic had Patrik Elias and Martin Havlat. Both were fantastic through the tournament. Hell, the only players on the Czech team who really stood out were Malik and Sykora, and that's because they were awful. Once past the first two games every player on that team played to potential, but Jagr isn't nearly as strong as he used to be.

Slovakia was downright awful all over the board. Really had no good standout players. Chara was surprisingly bad defensively while Hossa and Satan were totally invisible. Gaborik was the only spot on the team which even had a dim light and he couldn't finish.

Sweden and Germany I didn't see enough of to judge.

Last edited:

Kasparov*

Jagr. Kovalev. Koivu. Elias. Bryzgalov. Havlat. Hamrlik. Kaberle.

ETC

btw yeah, Flame_Star_Devil is right about Yashin, he played a "power" game at times and surprised me, nice to see.

Also, i liked Kovalenko's play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Canada: Boumeester and Richards
Czechs: Vokoun. He proved he's a solid NHL goalie
Slovakia: Stana
Germany: The amount of German raised players. Good for those guys.
Finland: I didn't realize that team as a whole was so physical
USA: Esche, Tkachuk, Modano
Russia: Ovechkin, Kovalev.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Sweden and Germany I didn't see enough of to judge.
You didn't see the Finn-Swede game? Then you missed a great one. Modin and Vanaanen surprised me the most; Alfie and Koivu played well; the Finns dominated 5-on-5 but the Swedish powerplay was deadly. Overtime was a nailbiter. 4-4 final. A classic.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
VanIslander said:
You didn't see the Finn-Swede game? Then you missed a great one. Modin and Vanaanen surprised me the most; Alfie and Koivu played well; the Finns dominated 5-on-5 but the Swedish powerplay was deadly. Overtime was a nailbiter. 4-4 final. A classic.

Yeah, I missed that one. :madfire:
I knew Modin had played well, and Vaananen had impressed me when I saw him play earlier. Modin is the only name I've heard associated with Sweden that received any praise at all.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Canada: Brodeur, Brewer, Lecavalier
USA: Leetch, Chelios
Czech: Vokoun
Slovakia: Obsut
Finland: Salo (if Finland wins, he should be tournament MVP)
Germany: Nobody, really
Russia: Afinogenov, Ovechkin

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Canada: Doan and Brewer
USA: Martin and Guerin (to an extent)
Slovakia: Gaborik and Stana
Russia: Afinogenov
Finland: Hagman and Jokinen
Czech: Vyborny
Germany:Lewandowsky (sp?), Kreutzer and Sturm (looked good returning from injury)
Sweden: Alfredsson and Holmstrom

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'd say Afinogenov had impressed me, and he has, with his stickhandling abilities. Problem is he has no shooting or passing abilities so it all goes to waste.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Flame_Star_Devil said:
I'd say Afinogenov had impressed me, and he has, with his stickhandling abilities. Problem is he has no shooting or passing abilities so it all goes to waste.
Afinogenov was a stickhandling sensation back in the world juniors before he was drafted. The concern back then was with his finishing ability; that has been borne out.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
VanIslander said:
Afinogenov was a stickhandling sensation back in the world juniors before he was drafted. The concern back then was with his finishing ability; that has been borne out.

I heard this in chat a couple days ago...

"I love how Afinogenov can deke the hell out of the defender and end up in a position where he can neither shoot nor pass."

joeminus

Mar 3, 2002
Tampa, FL
Visit site
Doan's profile has skyrocketed during this tourney. He's been exceptional and shown that he's a much more well-rounded player than a lot of fans (outside Phoenix) would have given him credit for.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
joeminus said:
Doan's profile has skyrocketed during this tourney. He's been exceptional and shown that he's a much more well-rounded player than a lot of fans (outside Phoenix) would have given him credit for.
Agreed Doan is a valuable man.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
joeminus said:
I remember when he was drafted, TSN profiled his cowboy upbringing and how he can jump off of a horse at full gallop, back up on it, then off the other side, a rodeo skill that requires remarkable strength, balance and agility... which he has brought into the NHL. I'm no Coyotes fan, but he has impressed me from time to time: It's good to see he's getting some kuddos finally.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
United States: Esche, Tkachuk, Martin
Canada: Brodeur, Lecavalier, Draper
Slovakia: Chara?
Germany: Kolzig
Finland: Koivu, Selanne, Salo
Russia: Ovechkin, Zubrus, Kovalev
Czech: Elias

Im suprised people picked Vokoun. He didn't play very well at all.

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
I must say t.ruutu has impressed me in these games.
:handclap:

Kipper, Koivu are talented for sure but Ruutu´s play has improved constantly and I´m guessing he is going to be a huge "star" in the near future :lol:

Last edited:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
USA Robert Esche was spectactular the whole tournament. I didn't see the last game, but he proved he could sustain his play during the 03-04 playoffs. He should be USA's starter for quite a while. Scott Gomez I also thought proved he belonged on the team.

CANADA Lemieux, I honestly didn't think he'd be as effective as he was during the tournament. He was more physical than I expected him to be and every now and then he'd make a pass that would make me scratch my head. I thought he would be tenative after last season but that apparently isn't the case.

SLOVAKIA No one. They were terrible

Germany Marco Sturm played very well. He was never even 100% the whole tournament, he deserves applause.

FINLAND Its hard to pick a player within a team that works so well, but Kiprusoff is definately one that hard to overlook. I didn't think he'd be a fluke and he proved the rest of the world he isn't with his play in the World Cup.

RUSSIA Kovalev, I think we all saw his deke against USA. Jeez, a player shouldn't be able to move his hands that quick. It almost makes up for his sub-par regular season.

CZECHS Patrik Elias and Martin Havlat I think carried the team for most of the tournament. Havlat is one incredibly shifty player, and Elias showed he can come through in the clutch like he has for the Devils plenty of times before.

SWEDEN Holmstrom, he was a force on the power play, scored their only goal in that 6-1 drubbing.

ifesfor*

Canada:Lecavalier and Brodeur(damn he is a wall!! )
USA:Esche and Hull(got the award of the most stupid comment ever! ;) )
Slovakia: Probably Satan! :joker: naa i think Chara was the best
Russia: Kovalev
Finland: Koivu
Czech: Id say Elias
Germany: The beer distributor
Sweden: Alfredsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad