Who has been the most disappointing 19 yr old other than Steen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANGERDIEHARD

Jul 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Zine said:
I've heard that youth coaches have put too much emphasis on systems play (the trap, left wing lock, etc.). This would generally restrict the creativity of a youth player - hence hindering personal development.

This is just what I've heard though. :dunno:

I heard the same thing - more work on team play and less development on individual skill.

chicpea*

Flonaldo said:
Actually I didn't. I know my English isn't perfect, but that sentence was pretty straight-forward. Epsilon has the translation :)
sorry, my mistake. ;) And your english is fine - it's my reading skills that are poor.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Jiri Hudler has been a real disappointment, IMO, as well. I'm not sure if he's 19 though.

X-SHARKIE

Thomas Vanek was a 5th overall pick? Watching this tournament you wouldn't have even known he was drafted. How can you not get up for playing for you countrey. Mabey he's getting by on being on a good NCAA team and can't handle him self vs some of the best kids his age across the world.

disles1

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
Fedz said:
Dont know if Robert Nilsson(Sweden) is 19 or not, but hes been disgusting IMO.

If I was NYI I'd be regretting taking him over Parise right now.

Was Nilsson really that bad? What's his game like? Is he very soft? Playmaker or goal scorer? Any info would be helpful--thanks

IslesFan17

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
disles1 said:
Was Nilsson really that bad? What's his game like? Is he very soft? Playmaker or goal scorer? Any info would be helpful--thanks

For someone who people have said played so bad, Nilsson leads his team in scoring. If that's the case, I wonder what kinda numbers he woulda put up if he played good... :eek:

nordique

Red Horner said:
The Leafs and their fans must very disappointed in their former 1st rd pick Alexander Steen, who as Captain of the Swedish team has done zip at this tournament.

Is there another former 1st rd pick who has been as disappointing as Steen if so please name them.

You'll have to excuse Red, he's a Leaf fan (so he says) that hates everything associated with blue and white.

TVanek26*

X-SHARKIE said:
Thomas Vanek was a 5th overall pick? Watching this tournament you wouldn't have even known he was drafted. How can you not get up for playing for you countrey. Mabey he's getting by on being on a good NCAA team and can't handle him self vs some of the best kids his age across the world.

Man,Vanek is doing horrible!With all of the stars on the Austrian Team, I'm surprised he isn't scoring 100 goals!I would like to see any one player play on the Austrian team, and see how good they play.If you give him good teammates, he'll do good...like in college.

Flonaldo

DanielBriere48 said:
Man,Vanek is doing horrible!With all of the stars on the Austrian Team, I'm surprised he isn't scoring 100 goals!I would like to see any one player play on the Austrian team, and see how good they play.If you give him good teammates, he'll do good...like in college.
Well, I guess it's just playing with excellent line mates that has made Rafael Rotter, Andreas Nödl, Wilfan, both goalies and a bunch of other players play like there was no tomorrow. So it's just bad team mates, that's the reason why Vanek is being outplayed, by a mile, by a 16 yo. 5-5 kid on his team.

How many of Austria's games have you seen in this tournament?

Seguin19

Aug 29, 2002
Visit site
Vojtech Polak is 18 but falls in the list of disappointment.

He's supposed to be a pretty decent sniper from what I have read, but can't score in his league or at WJC....

Sammy*

Flonaldo said:
Well, I guess it's just playing with excellent line mates that has made Rafael Rotter, Andreas Nödl, Wilfan, both goalies and a bunch of other players play like there was no tomorrow. So it's just bad team mates, that's the reason why Vanek is being outplayed, by a mile, by a 16 yo. 5-5 kid on his team.

How many of Austria's games have you seen in this tournament?
Yeah, those guys are unbelievable talents he gets to play with. Probably going to all go in the 1st round. Given those guys skills, it amazing that Vanek isnt leading the WJC in scoring. Guess its because hes a lazy bum.
BTW, who got Austrias goals today?

Flonaldo

Sammy said:
Yeah, those guys are unbelievable talents he gets to play with. Probably going to all go in the 1st round. Given those guys skills, it amazing that Vanek isnt leading the WJC in scoring. Guess its because hes a lazy bum.
It can't be so hard to believe that your 1st round pick has played exactly like a lazy bum for the six games I've seen from him at the WJC. I didn't expect him to score a bunch of points (because I didn't Austria to score at all until against Ukraine) or anything like that, but I did think he'd give his all considering he's their only star player and the team captain.

Lack of support or whatever is a perfectly good reason for his lack points. However, it has nothing to do with the fact that he hasn't given his all for one frickin shift. That can't be too much to ask, can it? Skate hard, back-check, a little bit of D, some effort. He has the skills, but they aren't of any use when taking two strides seems like it's the hardest thing on Earth.
Sammy said:
BTW, who got Austrias goals today?
That would probably be the same guy who cost his team their first-ever W at the WJC's...

Cross-checking a guy in the mouth because things aren't working for you and you didn't get past him with fancy stickwork in the final minutes, thus giving the opponent a 5-minute PP to end the game = not a good idea and a perfect example of Vanek's attitude throughout the tourney.

=> Ukraine scores the equalizer and was damn close to winning it.

Red Horner*

chicpea said:
back to the topic: O'Sullivan for the states has done nothing but gather penalty minutes. I'm not sure if he's 19 though...

While we're at it, I'd give the biggest disappointment award to the Russian coach.

He's 18, took a bad penalty today near the end of the 3rd period.

Red Horner*

Predatore said:
Steen has been the MVP of the Swedish team along with goalie Joakim Lundström. According to coach Bendelin he was the best Swede in 3 of the 4 games so far. I have a feeling you are only looking at his point totals, since you've most definitely haven't read game recaps etc.
Toronto has been more than impressed by Steen's play in the WC this season and said to Swedish newspaper Expressen that he is ready to play in the NHL next season.

Swedish first rounder Robert Nilsson (who has more points than Steen) has however been disappointing

Toronto management is good at planting things in the Toronto papers to excite the massess, what would they say our 1st rd pick looks like a Bust, they also told us how good Brad Boyes was and of course they praised another 1st rd phenom Luca Cereda.

Red Horner*

go pierre hedin said:
Red Horner's confused, the Jarkko Immonen in the tournament does not belong to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He was drafted by the Dallas Stars.

I said the Leafs Immonen not the Stars, unlike the Leafs site I know what I'm talking about, when they drafted him the Leaf site gave the write up on the Stars Immonen on their own site and not the guy they really had drafted. Pathetic

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Red Horner said:
I said the Leafs Immonen not the Stars, unlike the Leafs site I know what I'm talking about, when they drafted him the Leaf site gave the write up on the Stars Immonen on their own site and not the guy they really had drafted. Pathetic

In their defence, it's Jarkko Immonen (Leafs) and Jarkko A. Immonen (Stars) so I can see how that can get confusing.

gopher

Dec 5, 2002
Europe
www.legioxv.org
based on vaneks performance on this tournament, i have to agree!
no heard, no effort .. thats horrible, i´m verry disappointed!

Flonaldo said:
It can't be so hard to believe that your 1st round pick has played exactly like a lazy bum for the six games I've seen from him at the WJC. I didn't expect him to score a bunch of points (because I didn't Austria to score at all until against Ukraine) or anything like that, but I did think he'd give his all considering he's their only star player and the team captain.

Lack of support or whatever is a perfectly good reason for his lack points. However, it has nothing to do with the fact that he hasn't given his all for one frickin shift. That can't be too much to ask, can it? Skate hard, back-check, a little bit of D, some effort. He has the skills, but they aren't of any use when taking two strides seems like it's the hardest thing on Earth.That would probably be the same guy who cost his team their first-ever W at the WJC's...

Cross-checking a guy in the mouth because things aren't working for you and you didn't get past him with fancy stickwork in the final minutes, thus giving the opponent a 5-minute PP to end the game = not a good idea and a perfect example of Vanek's attitude throughout the tourney.

=> Ukraine scores the equalizer and was damn close to winning it.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Red Horner said:

That Jarkko Immonen who is playing WJC is not the same Jarkko Immonen which Toronto draftet. This Immonen is actually Jarkko A. Immonen and he is Dallas prospect. I think he is played very well this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad