Who has been the most disappointing 19 yr old other than Steen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Horner*

The Leafs and their fans must very disappointed in their former 1st rd pick Alexander Steen, who as Captain of the Swedish team has done zip at this tournament.

Is there another former 1st rd pick who has been as disappointing as Steen if so please name them.

Flonaldo

Well, I saw three of Sweden's games and thought that Steen played excellent. Coach Bendelin praised Steen's play after two of those matches. He was a true captain and tried his hardest every time he was on the ice. I think he's a pretty complete package: skating, strength, decent size, vision, stickhandling.

However, to answer the topic's question, Sabres pick Vanek was the exact opposite and probably worse than the crappiest player on the Ukraine team.

Red Horner*

Flonaldo said:
Well, I saw three of Sweden's games and thought that Steen played excellent. Coach Bendelin praised Steen's play after two of those matches. He was a true captain and tried his hardest every time he was on the ice. I think he's a pretty complete package: skating, strength, decent size, vision, stickhandling.

However, to answer the topic's question, Sabres pick Vanek was the exact opposite and probably worse than the crappiest player on the Ukraine team.

Why has Sweden's national teams fallen on such hard times, they do not seem to be producing the talent level that other European programs are.

Red Horner*

Flonaldo said:

Have you seen Leaf pick Immonen play and what is your opinion of him.

chicpea*

back to the topic: O'Sullivan for the states has done nothing but gather penalty minutes. I'm not sure if he's 19 though...

While we're at it, I'd give the biggest disappointment award to the Russian coach.

Dr_Chimera*

chicpea said:
back to the topic: O'Sullivan for the states has done nothing but gather penalty minutes. I'm not sure if he's 19 though...

While we're at it, I'd give the biggest disappointment award to the Russian coach.

Let's wait and see what the Russian team does from now on first...

People were prepared to lynch Plyuschev in 2002 and we all know what happened.

Ishmatov is an evil genius - he can get Russia to the top of the podium, but the team's numerous holes are hurting it. But they're fixable.

O'Sullivan, despite all of his numbers, does not impress me at all this year. He floats too much for my liking. I do like him though - but he needs to smarten up a bit on the ice.

chicpea*

Dr_Chimera said:
Let's wait and see what the Russian team does from now on first...

People were prepared to lynch Plyuschev in 2002 and we all know what happened.

Ishmatov is an evil genius - he can get Russia to the top of the podium, but the team's numerous holes are hurting it. But they're fixable.

O'Sullivan, despite all of his numbers, does not impress me at all this year. He floats too much for my liking. I do like him though - but he needs to smarten up a bit on the ice.

Oh, I totally agree with you and expect to see the Russians in the finals vs Canada. I just think that 3-1 over Austria is a bit odd.
I know the Russians always do this at the WJCs (start slow, creep back in during the medal round) but this year's play has been bizarre even by past standards.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Red Horner said:
Why has Sweden's national teams fallen on such hard times, they do not seem to be producing the talent level that other European programs are.

I have no idea. I think swedish kids are not driven as hard and practice less than Czech & Russian kids. Also, I think there have been pretty good years although it didn't show in the WJC. The 1999-2000 WJC team had players like the Sedins, Zetterberg, Weinhandl, Kronwall, Backman, Berglund, Jimmie Ölvestad, Tony Martensson and Rickard Wallin. Pretty decent players if you look at where they are now. That team finished 6th i think.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Red Horner said:
Is there another former 1st rd pick who has been as disappointing as Steen if so please name them.

Steen has been the MVP of the Swedish team along with goalie Joakim Lundström. According to coach Bendelin he was the best Swede in 3 of the 4 games so far. I have a feeling you are only looking at his point totals, since you've most definitely haven't read game recaps etc.
Toronto has been more than impressed by Steen's play in the WC this season and said to Swedish newspaper Expressen that he is ready to play in the NHL next season.

Swedish first rounder Robert Nilsson (who has more points than Steen) has however been disappointing

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Red Horner said:

I've heard that youth coaches have put too much emphasis on systems play (the trap, left wing lock, etc.). This would generally restrict the creativity of a youth player - hence hindering personal development.

This is just what I've heard though. :dunno:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
chicpea said:

Well, it's not as if O'Sullivan hasn't had a alot of chances. He's had a ton of SOG. Maybe his goal against Russia will get him going. IMO, he seems to be a player who responds well to challenges, but could care less about more mundane (read Austria or weaker OHL competition) matchups. Frankly, his current level of competition probably bores him, and since he's already been drafted, he's just trying to get to the next level.

chicpea*

Rabid Ranger said:
Well, it's not as if O'Sullivan hasn't had a alot of chances. He's had a ton of SOG. Maybe his goal against Russia will get him going. IMO, he seems to be a player who responds well to challenges, but could care less about more mundane (read Austria or weaker OHL competition) matchups. Frankly, his current level of competition probably bores him, and since he's already been drafted, he's just trying to get to the next level.

You may have a point there for sure, Ranger. I still think he's been a bit quiet though.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Red Horner said:
The Swedish programs teach systems like the torpedo and the trap and they dont teach individual skill. That's why Sweden isn't doing very good.

Sammy*

Flonaldo said:
Well, thats kinda tough cause Vaneks team is so bad he has no one to play with.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Red Horner said:

On the other hand this team was not expected to do well and in fact played some teams a lot tougher than expected. They just couldn't get the wins. They may be one of the best teams ever to finish out of the top 6. It will be hard for them to motivate themselves the rest of the tournament considering how they played (reasonably well) and the result so far.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Flonaldo said:

Yeah, you probably didnt even hear his name mentioned all game. I guess this is because he doesnt play for Ukraine.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Alex Kovalev said:
Yeah, you probably didnt even hear his name mentioned all game. I guess this is because he doesnt play for Ukraine.

Who said he did?

chicpea*

Crosbyfan said:
Who said he did?

umm, Flonaldo. Above. everyone let it slide because we all knew he/she meant Austria. No harm no foul.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
chicpea said:
umm, Flonaldo. Above. everyone let it slide because we all knew he/she meant Austria. No harm no foul.

Actually, what he meant was that Vanek had played worse than all the players on the Ukraine team. Some people read to much into it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Epsilon said:
Actually, what he meant was that Vanek had played worse than all the players on the Ukraine team. Some people read to much into it.

Thats the way I understood it as well.. That Austria's best player is not even as good as Ukraines worst..

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Dont know if Robert Nilsson(Sweden) is 19 or not, but hes been disgusting IMO.

If I was NYI I'd be regretting taking him over Parise right now.

Flonaldo

chicpea said:
Actually I didn't. I know my English isn't perfect, but that sentence was pretty straight-forward. Epsilon has the translation :)

Not playing with anyone of note is the excuse (and reason) for Vanek having only one point - Austria's only goal. However, that doesn't excuse him from just floating for all of the four games I saw from him.

Crappy attitude and not playing hard for a second translate into him being the worst player on a very weak team Austria and a horrible pick for captain of the team. The Ukrainians are, of course, even worse than the Austrians, and I'm sure none of their players played worse than Vanek - despite all of their 1-14 losses.

Flonaldo

Red Horner said:
They did have talent in this tournament, not just enough. Sweden was just a small step behind the rest and that's why they aren't in the playoffs. They battled the US and gave them a run for their money. A tight loss to Russia and then they just got trapped by Slovakia. It was very very close.

They had too many third-liners and not enough first-liners - or that's how it looked like.

leafaholix*

Red Horner's confused, the Jarkko Immonen in the tournament does not belong to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He was drafted by the Dallas Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->