Speculation: Who has been our best D vs. Boston?

Who has been our best D vs. Boston ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Rielly by a far margin. Gards has been good some games but a trainwreck in others whereas Rielly has been good all but maybe one game. Everyone else has been too inconsistent.
Rielly was really really bad the first 2 games to be fair... was responsible for so many two on ones and Pasta burned him a few times too.

I think Gardiner has been better on average but Rielly has had a few more dominant games

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Wow.....just clicked on the link and pretty shocked at the results.

Emotion, fandom, immediate recency bias and hot takes rule the roost around here I guess.

Either you guys are all correct or analytics have to start all over from scratch. Rielly has had some good moments but his mix of awful key analytics and super high luck numbers point to a pretty rough series. The forwards wont always be shooting at 18% to feed him a few points and Anderson wont always bail him out with an insane save. Its not sustainable.
And who would you have above him Gardiner? not saying i disagree just curious

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Leafs started the series very timid, took them until game 3 to decide to toe the line like Boston with physical play. Have to say Rielly has really impressed me with how much his game has morphed into a physical 2-way defender. Not physical like Polak, but physical enough to piss off the opposition and get them off their games a bit.

Love Polak... he’s really stepped up against Backes and surprisingly Backes has backes’d off every time Polak tried to square off with him. Polak was a pitbull on him when he hit Andersen. Ridiculous that the refs gave Polak a penalty... refs should know that anytime a play like that happens to a star player the code is to answer the bell.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If you really watch the game closely, Boston's forwards cringe at the sight of Polak. He's been a physical force and has been punishing them every shift. He hasnt been a liability at all.

Last night there was a barrage of give aways in our zone by our D over a 5-7 minute span. Culprits you ask? Dermott twice, Reilly twice, Gardiner once, Zaitsev once and Hainsey once. Polak has been a stable force out there and give aways have been minimal.

Does flicking the puck into the neutral zone for their D to start another zone entry not count as a give away?

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Rielly was really really bad the first 2 games to be fair... was responsible for so many two on ones and Pasta burned him a few times too.

I think Gardiner has been better on average but Rielly has had a few more dominant games

Rielly has had a rough series. Its not all rough though. Jake has been more consistent shutting them down. Its been pretty bad for us in general, hoping we all have a great game tonight.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I picked Rielly. Minus a piss poor Games 1 and 2, he's been really solid the rest of the games.

everyone had a piss poor game 1 & 2, so if people are gonna judge those 2 games every player is taking hits.

Gardiner/Rielly , however you want to prioritize them have been our best D this series

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
For me, it's been Gardiner. As a pairing, he and Zaitsev have been steady and has generally dominated the scoring chance spread. I feel like Gardiner is more of a catalyst this series though, his stretch passes has been the starting point of a lot of our even strength offense.

The first bunch of games from Rielly were ugly, but he's come on since. Still, if you look at the statistics, his pairing has been absolutely killed in terms of scoring chances. That lines up with what I've seen for the most part too. Hainsey has been a mixed bag on that line, some solid play but also quite a few bad giveaways. That becomes a problem when your reliability is your calling card, and you don't have much else to offer.

Polak has been steady. He performs well in his limited role. Dermott has been a bit overwhelmed though.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'll tell you one thing Polak hasn't been the worst, that's for sure. I give the slight edge to Gardiner for best.

Reactions: iSophagus

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Ziggs has it right. I can tell you first hand that Rielly may have been the worst player on the ice at TD in games 1 and 2. Then he was the best player on ice in games 3 and 4. Games 5 and 6 he was good.

Dermott was best Leaf by far in games 1 and 2 as a rookie. Then he looked average in games 3 and 4.

Gards played really well in game 6. But game 5 he was a tire fire.

Hainsey Polak and Zaitsev at their best are average.

I think what it tells me is young Leaf defence is highly inconsistent in their play. When they are skating well and moving puck they can be good but they can also play games where they are the worst defence in the nhl. Anyways this is the one area where team can really improve itself over summer with some good moves.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Hmm, I would have to argue against this, his lack of foot speed at times and bad clearances were really evident in the first two games. His reaction time has also diminished as the season has worn on.

Yes, but those games were a disaster for everyone. Hainsey's PK work has unquestionable has been instrumental the rest of the way.

It's not like any answer here can really be definitive.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
If you are rating based on overall effectiveness...Rielly
Rating based on effectiveness vs. actual/perceived ability....Polak has overachieved by a mile.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
For me, it's been Gardiner. As a pairing, he and Zaitsev have been steady and has generally dominated the scoring chance spread. I feel like Gardiner is more of a catalyst this series though, his stretch passes has been the starting point of a lot of our even strength offense.

The first bunch of games from Rielly were ugly, but he's come on since. Still, if you look at the statistics, his pairing has been absolutely killed in terms of scoring chances. That lines up with what I've seen for the most part too. Hainsey has been a mixed bag on that line, some solid play but also quite a few bad giveaways. That becomes a problem when your reliability is your calling card, and you don't have much else to offer.

Polak has been steady. He performs well in his limited role. Dermott has been a bit overwhelmed though.

I almost picked Gards as he went into beast mode in game 3 and stayed there since.

Rielly is a very odd choice but I think its the fact more people have a lot invested in him and not much in guys like Gards/Zaitsev/Polak. Posters absolutely hate to admit they are wrong but the stats really dont lie. Another thing that might be blinding most observers here would be misplaced blame in the losses. Analytically, Gards best game of the series was game 4 and he was simply incredible creating scoring chances and defending but what did the casual observer see? That one bad pinch he made which makes the highlight reel. (I actually blame my pick Zaitsev on that play for botching the 2 on 1, the first 5v5 goal that was actually his fault)

Game 1 is another funny one. The Leafs D had a real bad game and got hemmed in their zone except for Zaitsev who was probably our best player that game but that was completely ignored that night and because Zaitsev had a bad first period the 2nd game, thats what stuck in peoples minds and re-enforced their bias. Im amazed at how well Polak has played in the series as he has just been buried in the defensive zone by Babs and been steady and strong down low.

Yesterdays game was interesting as well. The Bruins really took it to us and the Rielly/Hainsey combo was a tire fire the first half of the game. The were getting pushed around and hemmed in at will during that period of time. To their credit, they they played better in the second half but hearing anyone say Rielly was our best dman yesterday is crazy. If anything, his rough play early on got him less ice time down the stretch in the third. He ended up 5th in 5v5 ice time at the end of the game with brutal analytics and you see posters claiming he had a good game. No, he didnt. Admittadly, his 13% corsi at end game was better than his 7% corsi, 0% scf first period....and he had these awful numbers with a PDO of 1.262.....

....but yea, sorry for the rant, Gards is a fine choice.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Rielly. He's playing like a true #2 d-man. He's been more physical than I've ever seen him play and actually showing some emotion on the ice. That's good to see.
Gardiner has played poorly defensively per usual. I can't wait until he is gonzo. He's one of the worst defenders I've ever seen in a Leafs uniform and I'm not exaggerating.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
And who would you have above him Gardiner? not saying i disagree just curious

I think expectations may play a part but just judging on what he has brought to the table, Zaitsev and Gards are certainly above him as they have been one of the best pairing in the playoffs on any team and then its between Rielly, Hainsey and a very surprising Polak. Dermott hasnt been awful but has struggled at certain times despite playing a sheltered role in more minutes. I was actually expecting a lot more but we have to remember a late addition rookie in the playoffs for the first time against an elite team like Boston was probably destined to make mistakes. He's going to be a mainstay on the blueline for some time though. If forced to rank them with expectations and all, I would say:

1. Zaitsev - Blowing away all pre-series expectations with massive numbers against very strong QoC playing a very physical game and cleaned up his transition game quite a bit. Great PK numbers as well.
2. Gardiner - Flicked a switch in game 3 and beast mode Gards from the previous playoffs returned. High end minute munching 2 way beast that hasnt been rewarded enough as our top line players cant hit the net for him.
3. Polak - Perfect bottom pairing RD for us has been icing the puck less and has been solid overall.
4. Hainsey - Should have been rested a lot more in preparation for the Bruins big line and has gotten hemmed in by them half the time on the ice. PK start was a bit of a disaster as well but hes really come around in that area which is the reason hes even this high.
5. Rielly - Our best dman from the regular season but has been pretty disappointing as he sports the worst analytics on the team. Some of this may be due to Hainsey being his partner but even when Hainsey was regressing during the regular season, Reilly still held strong and was playing well. Bostons first line has been flying all series and Rielly and Hainsey have not been handling the job all that well. There are signs the last couple of games that this could change but Id much prefer to see him not being number 1 in the playoffs in allowing scoring chances against. Hes better than that and people should stop patting him on the back for it.
6. Dermott - Not quite ready for prime time yet as hes been uneven in sheltered minutes but he's very close.

The demise of the RD for the Leafs has been slightly exaggerated looking at this series.

jsule028

Mar 7, 2018
I think expectations may play a part but just judging on what he has brought to the table, Zaitsev and Gards are certainly above him as they have been one of the best pairing in the playoffs on any team and then its between Rielly, Hainsey and a very surprising Polak. Dermott hasnt been awful but has struggled at certain times despite playing a sheltered role in more minutes. I was actually expecting a lot more but we have to remember a late addition rookie in the playoffs for the first time against an elite team like Boston was probably destined to make mistakes. He's going to be a mainstay on the blueline for some time though. If forced to rank them with expectations and all, I would say:

1. Zaitsev - Blowing away all pre-series expectations with massive numbers against very strong QoC playing a very physical game and cleaned up his transition game quite a bit. Great PK numbers as well.
2. Gardiner - Flicked a switch in game 3 and beast mode Gards from the previous playoffs returned. High end minute munching 2 way beast that hasnt been rewarded enough as our top line players cant hit the net for him.
3. Polak - Perfect bottom pairing RD for us has been icing the puck less and has been solid overall.
4. Hainsey - Should have been rested a lot more in preparation for the Bruins big line and has gotten hemmed in by them half the time on the ice. PK start was a bit of a disaster as well but hes really come around in that area which is the reason hes even this high.
5. Rielly - Our best dman from the regular season but has been pretty disappointing as he sports the worst analytics on the team. Some of this may be due to Hainsey being his partner but even when Hainsey was regressing during the regular season, Reilly still held strong and was playing well. Bostons first line has been flying all series and Rielly and Hainsey have not been handling the job all that well. There are signs the last couple of games that this could change but Id much prefer to see him not being number 1 in the playoffs in allowing scoring chances against. Hes better than that and people should stop patting him on the back for it.
6. Dermott - Not quite ready for prime time yet as hes been uneven in sheltered minutes but he's very close.

The demise of the RD for the Leafs has been slightly exaggerated looking at this series.

Well, I think Dermott is due for a big game tonight. I predict he gets his stuff together and he will be a difference-maker tonight. Mark my words. He will shock and surprise everyone who lamented his performance throughout the series.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Well, I think Dermott is due for a big game tonight. I predict he gets his stuff together and he will be a difference-maker tonight. Mark my words. He will shock and surprise everyone who lamented his performance throughout the series.

He actually has some pretty good analytics and you can more or less see why he is making some classic rookie mistakes out there as he has to deal with NHL playoff hockey for the first time. Id like nothing better than to see him adapt quickly to the new environment and hes already proven he learns quickly.

It would also be nice if one of the forwards could score when he is on the ice as team shooting percentage currently sits at 0% despite 37 scoring chances with him out there. A couple of points could go straight to his legs.

jsule028

Mar 7, 2018
He actually has some pretty good analytics and you can more or less see why he is making some classic rookie mistakes out there as he has to deal with NHL playoff hockey for the first time. Id like nothing better than to see him adapt quickly to the new environment and hes already proven he learns quickly.

It would also be nice if one of the forwards could score when he is on the ice as team shooting percentage currently sits at 0% despite 37 scoring chances with him out there. A couple of points could go straight to his legs.

I would be the first one to admit to everyone at HFBoards that Dermott's performance has been, at times, worrying because he turns over the puck in the defensive zone and gets exposed by the bigger, stronger Bruins forwards. Thus, Dermott gets benched and he deserves it becuase Babs cannot trust him to be defensively responsible in his own end.

I don't worry about the analytics, tbh. I have a feeling that he will perform very well tonight and give us something to look forward to in round 2 against the Lightning.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
The fact Jake Gardiner has 29 votes shows just how clueless some of our fanbase is. He is such a pansy. So soft, and his turnovers are going to bury us if he doesn't get his act together in the final 40 tonight. Brutal.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Rielly and then Zaitsev. Polak and Hainsey deserve a lot of credit as well. Gardiner has been himself, which is good but not good for a playoff series. Needs to be more consistent if we are getting past Tampa.

Dermott has been by far the worst, and hasn't played much either as a result. He obviously has an excuse, but it would be a lot better if we had 6 functioning defensemen, especially since we don't have a Nashville level top 4.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hainsey was consistent. Rielly had a good game. Dermott was fine and played better than his last one.

Gardiner will be known as...just really poor.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Really proud of Rielly a he stepped it up in game 7 and had his best game of the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->