Who has an arena and no NHL team??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
After seeing the new MTS center last night, I still don't think WPG could generate the 65 or so mill per required to survive in a league with average salaries of 35-40 mill assuming that's where the cap/tax ends up. I do think the seating area is good enough to generate at least 50 mill as it is though & if we were able to get a local TV/radio contract for a few mill more, I'm starting to think we might not be far off..... we made it though 15 years with a poorly thought out arena. This one is head and shoulders above it.... I know there was a thread on this before about WPG getting an NHL franchise back, and in that one I said it wouldn't happen. But after seeing this rink, I think someone has a dream. There's currently around 50 luxury boxes and although I couldn't figure out where, apparently room to build several more if the need were to arise. I've also heard they could expand the two bowls to accomodate another 2,500 people, although again, I couldn't figure out how.... to me, it looked alot like the Xcel energy center in Minnesota ... but, unfortunately currently with around 25 less luxury boxes and 3,000 less seats.....

What I'm wondering, is if the NHL were to decide to relocate a few franchises rather then fold them (and I think we all agree there are a handful on the bubble) what North American cities have recently constructed an arena suitable for pro-hockey that don't have a team. I'm guessing there's probably a few NBA cities. But are their arenas hockey friendly ... and do they likely have a fan base that would make hockey work better there then where it already is??

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Indianapolis, Portland, Seattle, Sacramento and Kansas City all have NHL-ready arenas, of the aforementioned cities I would think only Indy and Portland would have a fan base large enough to support an NHL team, possibly Seattle as well. Sacramento is a good possibility because right now the Kings are the only pro sport in town and the NHL would not have to compete with the NFL or MLB.

Who knows.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Oklahoma City has a brand new state of the art "NHL" arena, incredible support for their minor league team over a lengthy period, and stated intentions to land an NHL team.

jacketracket*

A cynic might suggest that Columbus has an NHL-ready arena, but no NHL team. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->