Who Do You Want Your Team to Draft?

X0ssbar

Cbus:
1st pick (7th overall) = Alzner/Couture/Gagne/Esposito (yeah, I'm coming around on Espo - think he's been over analyzed this year)

2nd pick = Sweatt, Tyrell

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Strange as it seems,as a Blackhawks fan,making the wrong choice with the #1 could be a curse --the hockey gods devising a perverse torment/dilemma for the Hawks:

Normally--even if there was complete consensus as to the BPA --you pick the BPA based on the assessment of his pro value a few years out--sometimes the kid can stick right away as a rookie right out of the draft--but normally it takes a year or two more after a draft...HOWEVER,the Blackhawks will not have the patience to wait for this TOP pick--he must come in and play right away and provide immediate offense that they crave..So Turris will not be the pick--they cannot wait on him.
They won't take Cherepanov--even though he played against men and so would seem "NHL ready"...nor is Van Riemsdyk ready...The question is: Is Kane or Voracek ready to impact immediately? You have the size issue with Kane,and Kane is more advanced at 10 months older and has better stats --so probably Voracek is not ready...

THUS Kane with his skill set (OFFENSIVELY) -is the most NHL ready of all the potential candidates and so he must be the pick...

HOWEVER-the Hawks will have to RISK big on the size issue (Kane was not hit a lot
in London this year for some strange reason,whereas team-mate Gagner seemed to get lots more hits--why OHL teams did not "target" Kane for more hitting I do not know);when Plymouth banged him somewhat more than he was used to in their playoff series,you sawthe results--he ended up -4 and London was contained and dominated --in the NHL I guarantee Kane willbe come a hiting "target" to neutralize him as much as possible--new NHL or not -- so the questions are:

1. How will he respond to the hitting?
2. Can he take it without getting injuries/concussions?
3. Can the Hawks "protect" him?

THe second question is:

IS KANE READY DEFENSIVELY FOR THE NHL?

IT is argued that he was not asked to emphasize that aspect with London--they wanted his energies directed to the attack,so MAYBE he can learn defense (on the job with Chicago) --but MAYBE he always will be a putrid checker whenthat is required,and if that is the case he will be a big 5x5 defensivel liability...

Chicago would be foolish if they were blinded by Kane's offensive skills to the extent that they have no big concerns on the size/hitting and defensive flaw issues...
They may ignore those concerns and gamble that they don't turn out badly so as to create a bust from a bright hope -but honestly is is still a GAMBLE that the flaws do not come back to bite them.

So this #1 pick could go either way: MAYBE the hockey gods have provided Chicago with a scoring machine who will be perennially up in the scoring leaders' table of the league--or maybe he willbe just another 1-way little guy,constantly down with injuries from hits,and eventually retired early.Boom or bust?
I wish OHL teams had hit Kane a lot more this year so I could tell wheher he could project he same success into the pros--but they did not hit mim much--so I just don't know how ths will turn out.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
HOWEVER,the Blackhawks will not have the patience to wait for this TOP pick--he must come in and play right away and provide immediate offense that they crave..

You can't be serious. Even if the #1 produces this year he might bleed goals. And this year's draft is not as strong as previous years. Personally, I don't see any of the top-10 players being NHL regulars (without bleeding goals) in at least 2 years.

It's better for the Hawks to trade their #1 for a point producing forward.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'm a Bruins fan and I want Esposito because even though he'll probably bust, at least he has star potential. The rest of them are projects or grinders.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
#12 overall: Lars Eller, Ryan McDonagh or Angelo Esposito

#22 overall: Bill Sweatt, David Perron or Thomas Hickey

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
For montreal's 12th pick i'd like to see them take Hamill, Esposito or Ellerby.

For the 23rd pick the danish player Lars Eller i think his name is would be a nice pick up or Michael Backlund from Sweden

I'd love to see them trade up and get Cheraponov because i believe he's the best player in the draft but we'll have to wait and see

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
HOWEVER-the Hawks will have to RISK big on the size issue (Kane was not hit a lot in London this year for some strange reason

Want to know why? It's because trying to hit Kane is like trying to catch a fish with your bare hands. I've never seen a guy more skilled at dancing around guys trying to chop his head off.

He wasn't hit a lot in London because the other teams tried to hit him and couldn't do it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You can't be serious. Even if the #1 produces this year he might bleed goals. And this year's draft is not as strong as previous years. Personally, I don't see any of the top-10 players being NHL regulars (without bleeding goals) in at least 2 years.

It's better for the Hawks to trade their #1 for a point producing forward.

are you joking?? what the heck are you talking about bleeding goals for? I dont care if this kid "bleeds" 20 goals next year for the Hawks, Kane is going to score hundreds more in his favor. So sick about hearing about how super offensively talented players cant play D...This kid hasnt had to play d yet, and you can ALWAYS teach D, you cant teach what he has. Some players pick it up faster then others, but learning the defensive side of the puck is something that can be worked on...Kane, like others is getting the typical cant play defense bum rap before he even steps a foot on professional ice. (never heard too many people complain about Mario's defense..hmm thats because he was too busy putting the puck in the net)

I am sure Edmonton and Pitt respectively were sooo concerned with Mario and Wayne bleeding goals for their organizations right?? hahaha please. Kane or anyone else in this draft may not turn out to be the next one, but dont sit there and be completely ignorant and try and pretend that you have any clue as to how any of these kids will turn out. There will be a few stars coming out of this draft, a few franchise type players...this isnt 03, but lets let these kid play a season or 2 after draft day before we start making ridiculous claims.

Kane can and will help immediately next year in the NHL...the size thing doesnt really matter as much as it used to now, just ask Gionta, Blake, St Louis, Briere, Parise, etc... if you got the skills, they will find a spot for you in todays NHL.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
are you joking?? what the heck are you talking about bleeding goals for?

are you joking?? OMG!!! i haven't even mentioned kane and you are talking about him!!!!

this isnt 03, but lets let these kid play a season or 2 after draft day before we start making ridiculous claims.

I wish you'd read my post before responding to it.

I agree with you - these kids need time to develop. The previous poster wanted to pick a #1 to come in and produce. That's a foolish way to draft a #1(who should be a kid with the best upside).

Turris + Kane are my #1 and #2 - but they are not ready for the NHL next year. If they were to play in the NHL - the first 20-40 games they would bleed goals because they need to learn NHL defense and gain some weight.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
are you joking?? OMG!!! i haven't even mentioned kane and you are talking about him!!!!

I wish you'd read my post before responding to it.

I agree with you - these kids need time to develop. The previous poster wanted to pick a #1 to come in and produce. That's a foolish way to draft a #1(who should be a kid with the best upside).

Turris + Kane are my #1 and #2 - but they are not ready for the NHL next year. If they were to play in the NHL - the first 20-40 games they would bleed goals because they need to learn NHL defense and gain some weight.

Everything that you said implies Pat Kane. You cant lump sum the top 10 players in the draft and then say it doesnt involve Kane. You said noone will make an impact until atleast 2 years without bleeding goals..whatever that means (noone would imply Pat Kane). With what you put on your previous post, you must think that every player that comes straight out of the draft must bleed goals..but yet some make it straight out and do just fine defensively. A young player most definitely can make mistakes, but your term of bleeding goals is a little far fetched since you didnt follow it up with a single player who has "bled goals" their first pro year.

There are always going to be players that will go far above and beyond expectations like Stastny for this year, and there will be guys from this draft that will follow suit. Kane gets a bad rap since he is small, gets tons of pp time, and plays for an offensive minded team... Well I pray the Hawks draft him because 30 goals and 70 points next season is not out of the question. Way too many smaller players with half of Kanes offensive ability are thriving in the NHL...He will be a franchise player, top 5 in the league in a few years IMO. Name me 1 person who thought Marty St. Louis would be a top 5 player in the league during his college years..Nobody saw that coming at all. Kane has better offensive talent, creativity, and ability then Marty does, IMO.

Turris has played against very weak competition, dont know why he is rated as high as he is, but I can see him falling in the draft order between 8-10. I hope he turns out to be a great kid also, but if the Hawks take Kane @ 1, I cant see Philly passing up JVR and even Voracek for Turris, but ya never know right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->