Who do you think is the most underrated player in this next draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devon

Feb 25, 2004
I think that the most underrated player in this years draft is Scott Mcculloch. He is rated 40th overall by CSS for North American skaters. He is such a strong player and uses his strength to his advantage. He does not get noticed because he plays up in Grande Prairie Alberta for the Storm who is likely going to win the Royal Bank Cup this year and are 3-0 so far in the tournament. He will go to collage next year and may take time to develop but he just such a good scoring clutch player. He will be and excellent pick for any team. So who do you think is the most underrated player in this up and coming draft.

Devon

KH1

Devon said:
I think that the most underrated player in this years draft is Scott Mcculloch. He is rated 40th overall by CSS for North American skaters. He is such a strong player and uses his strength to his advantage. He does not get noticed because he plays up in Grande Prairie Alberta for the Storm who is likely going to win the Royal Bank Cup this year and are 3-0 so far in the tournament. He will go to collage next year and may take time to develop but he just such a good scoring clutch player. He will be and excellent pick for any team. So who do you think is the most underrated player in this up and coming draft.

Devon
Andy Rogers. He has decent size, can skate, shoot and defend. If a team like the Sabres can pass on defense in the first round and grab him with their second rounder, they would be making a great move.

X-SHARKIE

Lauri Tukonen is underhyped....the guy is the real deal, he'll surprise people. Same can be said for Andrew Ladd...even though there top 10 picks.

I also think Martin Karsums deserves more press.

Defensman Kirill Lyamin well be a stud, and forward Carl Soderberg well be a very solid hockey player, both should slip into the late third round.

Kyle Klubertanz does not get enough press....He could be this years Matt Carle.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Nathan Perkovich from Cedar Rapids (USHL) is not only under-hyped he's virtually unheard of. The 6'5" winger from Canton, Michigan will go in the late rounds probably 8 or 9 only because he didn't play a full season in the USHL. He started the season for Detroit Catholic Central High School but decided it was best for him to play in the USHL. He played in 35 games and had 1 goal and 8 assists. This kids upside is as big as Blake Wheelers, or he could be a bust. Should be fun to watch next year.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Stanislav Lascek of the Chicoutimi Saguenéens has some good offensive skills but he is not ranked because of poor skating and because he's not big. Anyway, he impressed me by working extremely hard and showing good offensive skills this year.

Cory Schneider is an awesome goalie who should go in the first round. He has some great skills, he is big and his positionning is close to perfect. He is a leader and an extremely mature player who makes the big saves when needed.

Travis Zajac who plays in the BCHL should be ranked around 20-35, he has some great offensive skills and he's a good skater. He's big, has a great work ethic and goes in the traffic.

Brian Ihnacak could be considered as a 2nd/3rd round pick with alot of potential. He was a rookie of the year in the ECAC, he has some great offensive skills and can score alot of goals with hard work. His father, slovak Peter Ihnacak, was the 25th overall pick in the 1982 draft by Toronto.

Other players who could be in that list are (Those who I have only heard of):
Karel Hromas
Emil Axelsson
Michael Tobler

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Pasi Salonen is very underrated!

This guy has 1-2 round potential, but he was 126 that Euro list. He wasn´t his own this year be cause he was injury most of the season. Thats why he was last whos drop out U20 WJC. He wasn´t able to play U18 champs because he is littlebit overaged and that is something like 14 days. But if Salonen is available 2rnd or later, i say take it! He is best Finnish 85 born player and defenetly better than meny who is higher that Euro list. He is pure goal scorer.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Radulov and Tukonen. Possibly two guys who SHOULD be picked in the top 5 but yet some have them slipping to 15 and even 20 :amazed: , i have no idea why but it seems like people are ignoring these two guys. Everyone talks of Malkin, Olesz, Ladd and Schremp and Barker and yet these 2 guys are probably much much more rounded skilled players and yet ignored.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
rnyquist said:
Radulov and Tukonen. Possibly two guys who SHOULD be picked in the top 5 but yet some have them slipping to 15 and even 20 :amazed: , i have no idea why but it seems like people are ignoring these two guys. Everyone talks of Malkin, Olesz, Ladd and Schremp and Barker and yet these 2 guys are probably much much more rounded skilled players and yet ignored.

I would agree with you that Radulov and Tukonen are good, but they are not much much much more rounds skilled player than Malkin. Malkin is extremely well rounded, almost on par with Ovechkin.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
If im picking third, i would still prob go olesz. 4th or 5th pick i would def consider Tukonen.

db23

Thelen at 11th among N.A. prospects. This guys was an All American at 17. I think Paul Kariya is the only other player that has managed that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Picard for being ranked third by CSB and being a nice hard working winger he doesnt always get his due credit.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Cory Schneider

I just have this feeling taht Cory has (or will have) the biggest upside of any Goalie in the draft. He put on quite an impressive show at the U-18's last August backstopping Team USA to the Gold Medal with a 12-1 record and posting a 1.86 GAA .929 Save%.... good size - 6'2 & 195

The knock against him is that he hasn't faced talented (or as talented) shooters as the other top rated goalies. Schneider plays high school Hockey for Phillips Andover Academy of the USHS, although remember a high school kid named Tom Barrasso who made the jump right out of a Massatuchets HS to play in the NHL?!?!?!

Next season Schneider as two choices of where to play 1. Boston College or 2. The Sidney Crosby-lead Rimouski Oceanic... where ever he deiceds to go he will finally have the oppurtunaty to play against kids at his level that will help develop the kid to where he should be.

Remember the name Cory Schneider, cuz hes gonna be a star!

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I've thrown out his name a few times this year, but I think Clayton Stoner is getting over looked a bit.

He's a big defenceman with a mean streak, placed 111th NA Skaters by CSS most recently, but he put up pretty decent stats and seems to have a pretty solid defensive game.

Divine Wind

db23 said:
Thelen at 11th among N.A. prospects. This guys was an All American at 17. I think Paul Kariya is the only other player that has managed that.

Works for me if he is still on the board when the oilers step up to the podium with the 14th overall selection. :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

KL and KP still want that future PP QB. Gilbert is still to new to our Org. and his #'s are not off the chart, far from a top 2 defenseman in my eyes. The Oilers lack what many teams have, a true #1, or what other teams have, which is blue-chip defense prospect(s). Thelen, along with Bergeron, could put up some rather high point production from the blueline.

Brewer is more of a good all around player IMO, where in that he is big, has good mobility, decent outlet pass, can throw the body when on his game, but is borderline top 2 in terms of point production, much like Staios, but better stamina. Players following this mould are Lynch, and Woywitka(also acquired this season). Greene follows more of a Jason Smith style game. The Verdict is still out on Semenov

Though our prospect defense depth has grown this year, i would still like to see the Oilers shock this draft and take a 'Stud' D-man in the 1st round(having an over-abundance of good, young, NHL quality defensemen is never a bad thing i think). Someone who is close to NHL ready, so he fits in with KLowe's "post2004" master plan. Thelen is not this, though, I would not pass on him if Schwarz/Montoya are already off the board, along with the high offense forwards(radulov,tukonen, Picard, Schremp), for he might be the BPA at 14th overall. With his final ranking out as 11th NA i believe(someone correct me if i am wrong), he may still possibly be there as well.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think Ladd's someone who should get more credit, but doesn't due to the two Russians at the top of the draft. Though he's probably not as good as those 2 now, I think he's got a decent chance at being a really good player in the NHL.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Radulov is listed as having scored 31 pts for Dynamo in 42 games. He only
played 1 game, correct?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Mountie said:
I've thrown out his name a few times this year, but I think Clayton Stoner is getting over looked a bit.

He's a big defenceman with a mean streak, placed 111th NA Skaters by CSS most recently, but he put up pretty decent stats and seems to have a pretty solid defensive game.

Stoner was passed over in last year's draft. He was invited to San Jose's camp for a look and apparently did reasonably well.

So the reason he is at 111th is because this is his second time through.

lucas

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
Jordan Smith, ranked around 50th I think from the Soo Greyhounds will be a steal. He is a good skater, tough as nails, and even showed a surprising offensive touch this year. Definetely underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad