Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Which scenario would you prefer:

A)

9. Noah Dobson
26. Serron Noel or Denisenko

B)

9. Oliver Wahlstrom
26. Bode Wilde or Nils Lundkvist (just because I love his name)
Wahlstrom and Wilde, but I'll admit I'm biased. I don't like Noel's game at all - I don't think he can create anything for himself in a reminiscent way similar to Gropp. Denisenko is incredibly skilled though and I don't think he'll be there that late.

I think getting that impact forward up front will do more for us in the long-term and better D can be found later in the draft.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Serron Noel's game reminds me a bit of Wayne Simmonds. Ryan Gropp not so much. I think Noel's and Gropp's skating are a bit clunky and there's a similarity there but Noel gets to the net to score his goals and Gropp is more a player with a quick release who tends to shoot from further out and not go nearly as hard to the net. Noel has long arms and a knack for getting his stick free in tight areas to bang home pucks--that's primarily what reminds me of Simmonds. He's a rougher player than Gropp though not that close to Simmonds in that regard. Noel is not really a fighter. So I'll bring up Alex Killorn or Patric Hornqvist now--Noel has shown a willingness to taking a beating around the crease area to score goals. He has longer arms than those two though and he uses that reach to his advantage. He gets a lot of dirty goals. His skating and play away from the puck needs some smoothing out.

I'd prefer Noel in the 2nd round to be honest. Of the choice given above I don't think there's any chance that Bode Wilde is still on the board at 26 and I don't think Denisenko will be there either--but especially not Wilde who I expect will be taken by the mid teens.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It just seems like theres a lot of good players that you will get a good kid with any pick 1-10. Which is why I would like Gorton to find a way to get another pick in the Top 10. Try and come away with a forward and a defenseman there.

Zadina/Tkachuk

Hughes/Dobson

CaptBagel

May 2, 2018
Move up for a LD?
For a possible 40 goal scorer like Zad sure but not for a LD when we got Skjei and 3 solid LD almost ready to join the club
Now if he falls to 9 and Dob is gone then fine but don't trade up for him

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Yeah, I agree, unfortunately. That's why I said if he's there.

I hope they move up to get him, if necessary. Some think he'll be better than Dahlin.

That's a...stretch...

I have done a lot of reading on Hughes the past couple of weeks. His speed and offensive instincts are incredible and are on par with the best in this draft. In fact, he may be tops in both categories. I just can't seem to find a way to get past two things...and I'm sure most already know what they are: size and defense.

I don't think the two are correlated as much as they used to be. Defenders have gotten much better with their sticks, and speed has proven to be the biggest asset for any player in the new NHL, in every single zone. He's got that in bunches. With the right coaching and a bit of trial and error, he could certainly figure out the defensive side of the game at the NHL level.

But, man, I'd be weary about rolling a defenseman out there for 25+ minutes a night, against top players, that's showing up at 5'10, 180 lbs in full gear. Yes he's young, and yes he can definitely can (and probably will) add some weight. But you just don't come across any #1 defensemen that are sub 6'0, 195 lbs. People will point to Karlsson as a prime example, but even he's listed as 6'0, 191 lbs on NHL.com, and is one of the most talented players in the world...not exactly a fair comp for an 18 year old.

If Gorton thinks that one of Lindgren/Hajek/Day can develop into a top-pair shut down defenseman, then by all means Quinn should be heavily considered. But I would be weary about selecting him with the hope that he fills that role. If they're looking for a true, traditional top-pair defenseman (which I don't think they have right now), then I think Dobson is the best choice.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Hughes is really talented and he’s very good defensively already and doesn’t need to figure the D side, like other young players he needs to learn and experience the pro game and how the top offensive players play to grow at that position. He also has a headstart vs guys who just have been playing juniors. He’s so good at preventing and breaking up odd man breaks with his stick and skating speed. He’s so good a getting the puck and transitioning. The size concern comes into play if he’s stuck in his own end and could get overpowered by the bigger payers, either punished in the corneres or boxed out of the crease. This is something he probably won’t ever totally overcome but a good system and d partners can help with. He might never be a true top pairing all situations player but he has those game changing traits easily more enticing to safer bigger players. We should avoid drafting to fill the so called 1st pairing D at the expense of talent. I can’t imagine at #9 Hughes not being bpa.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hughes is really talented and he’s very good defensively already and doesn’t need to figure the D side, like other young players he needs to learn and experience the pro game and how the top offensive players play to grow at that position. He also has a headstart vs guys who just have been playing juniors. He’s so good at preventing and breaking up odd man breaks with his stick and skating speed. He’s so good a getting the puck and transitioning. The size concern comes into play if he’s stuck in his own end and could get overpowered by the bigger payers, either punished in the corneres or boxed out of the crease. This is something he probably won’t ever totally overcome but a good system and d partners can help with. He might never be a true top pairing all situations player but he has those game changing traits easily more enticing to safer bigger players. We should avoid drafting to fill the so called 1st pairing D at the expense of talent. I can’t imagine at #9 Hughes not being bpa.
This is the thing I keep coming back to: if Hughes ISN’T there... okay then, well who fell? Is it Wahlstrom? Boqvist? Tkachuk? Did it all go according to the consensus April rankings and Dobson and Kotkaniemi are both still there? I’m good with all of it. Just don’t burn assets to move up from 9, unless you can get a Svechnikov or Zadina. (Moving up from 26 or 31 to get a pick in the teens, or even another in the top 10, on the other hand, by all means.)

Love this draft.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Tier 1
Dahlin
Svech

Tier 2
Zadina
Wahlstrom
Hughes
Tkachuk

Tier 3
Bouchard
Dobson
Boqvist
Kotkaniemi

That is my personal Top 11 rankings

The tiers represent how much I'd like each player on the Rangers.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
If Hughes, Boqvist and Wahlström are gone then i take Dominik Bokk, i think he'd be the best player on the board and he fits exactly what we need in our pipeline aswell.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

Cant' disagree with any of this. My post was made with the presumption that we'd be paying a hefty price to move up to get him. If he's there at 9, then we must take him.

And also, my post wasn't meant to criticize his game as much as it was to highlight the differences between choosing a player like him or, say, Dobson. If you're selecting Hughes with the hopes that he turns into a premier #1 defenseman, you're probably going to be disappointed. But that's not to say he won't be a fantastic player in his own way.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
When the Rangers made the trade last year It was for Cale Maker
They would need to move to 4-5 to get Hughes.
Whos name has been rolling in Rangerworld for months

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Hughes, Boqvist and Wahlström are gone then i take Dominik Bokk, i think he'd be the best player on the board and he fits exactly what we need in our pipeline aswell.

Bokk is a big reach at #9, no? I mean, it's possible he's still around at #26 or slightly higher if we need to move up a few spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad