Who do you take at 9th Overall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Drafting for position is dumb, especially in a sport like hockey where the players could take a year or two to develop
Drafting for NHL position is dumb. Drafting for organizational depth at a position is a necessity.

Our defense pipeline is really bad.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Drafting for NHL position is dumb. Drafting for organizational depth at a position is a necessity.

Our defense pipeline is really bad.
This is a team that just added Hajek, Rykov, and Lindgren at the tdl. The defense pipe is not amazing but it's serviceable. You know an area in our pool that is bad, like atrociously bad? The wing. Our best wing prospect is Prob Ty Ronning, that is simply not good enough. So drafting for organizational need is basically everywhere, but center. I really like both Dobson and Bouchard but if Wahlstrom falls to eight we better scoop him up. Him and Chytil on a line together could be money for years.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Poll is closed unfortunately but id have selected Bouchard. From what I've read he's been absolutely dominating this season in the OHL and we'd be lucky to have him fall to us at 8

Why was the poll closed so fast? Bouchard could have easily won this still. Another vote here for him.

3AM - 11:43AM lol. Should be redone.

Couldn't vote, but I would vote Kotkaniemi. Seems like the next Kopitar. I would also see either Bouchard or Dobson, too.

Missed the poll but would want Bouchard.
Re-opening the poll just for our HFNYR analysis.

---

@HailMcJesus here are the results at the time of your initial closing:
  1. Noah Dobson

29 vote(s)
    51.8%

2. Evan Bouchard

23 vote(s)
    41.1%

3. Ty Smith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

4. Isac Lundestrom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

5. Joe Veleno

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

6. Rasmus Kupari

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

7. Joel Farabee

3 vote(s)
    5.4%

8. Jesperi Kotkaniemi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

9. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
---

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I read a lot about Bouchard having to "work on his shot" even though he's got 25 goals this year.

People are obsessed with defensemen with gigantic slappers. I think that's going to make him go later than he should. I'm not saying 8th, but I'm saying 8th.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I read a lot about Bouchard having to "work on his shot" even though he's got 25 goals this year.

People are obsessed with defensemen with gigantic slappers. I think that's going to make him go later than he should. I'm not saying 8th, but I'm saying 8th.

His shot is actually pretty good.

It’s his movement that’s the issue.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
From what I've seen Bouchard shoots the puck really well and he likes to shoot and he's right handed.

I'd lean towards him over Dobson but it's pretty damn close. Dobson would be a great addition as well. Basically my top ten goes something like this:

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Boqvist
4. Zadina
5. Tkachuk
6. Bouchard
7. Wahlstrom
8. Hughes
9. Dobson
10. Farabee

Dahlin is in a class of his own. Then Svechnikov. 3 and 4 are interchangeable. 5-9 are interchangeable. Then Farabee.

Honorable mention--Smith, Wilde, Kotkaniemi, Veleno, Bokk, Kravtsov. Those 6 would fill out the top half of my first round.

If the Rangers can land two of these guys we'll be doing really good.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Bouchard or Wilde if they draft 8th. They will go with a saftey, righty d man. My guess is they then try and trade up in the draft from their other 2 first rounders by using Namestnikov, Spooner or Buchnevich to trade up and go for two, dynamic forward talents.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Dobson seems to have it all, one of those prospects who is easy to envision as a legitimate 1D at both ends of the ice.

Bouchard would be a very good pick as well, but I tend to agree with @Go Away Staal that Dobson is more fluid on his skates.

Both are really good shooters from the point. I will admit I am biased towards great shooters.

Reactions: Phoicon

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the thing with bouchard is his production, responsibility and hockey smarts.

hes a point producer both at 5v5 and on the pp. he's smart and knows where to go with the puck when he's on top of the pp. he gets to spots and he finishes. he thinks like a forward when he's in the O zone and can finish. thats huge. this defense has been atrocious finishing. and to have a guy who can put pucks on net from uptop makes me giddy. i have nightmares still about #27 shooting it into guys shins.

hes was used in every and all situations with london. he's a minutes eater and the captain of that team. you dont get to be the C of the london nights unless you are a top notch contributor.

as far as his intuitive play and smarts, its high end. period. almost every scouting reports mentions his ability to play a mature, composed and fluid 2 way game. add to that his offensive production and you have the type of player you build a defense around.

Reactions: Phoicon

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Bouchard or Wilde if they draft 8th. They will go with a saftey, righty d man. My guess is they then try and trade up in the draft from their other 2 first rounders by using Namestnikov, Spooner or Buchnevich to trade up and go for two, dynamic forward talents.

You're the only one that wants to trade Buchnevich.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I haven't read any reports on Bouchard that say he's anything but a very good skater.

He's not. He has average at best 4 way mobility with okay straight line speed.

I'd question what anyone who says he is a very good skater is watching, he doesn't move all that well and I keep saying it, but he looks stiff to me and thats my sticking point with him - You can't ignore the production, the vision and the smarts but how many guys in the league are premiere point producers from the back end (and that will be his calling card) who move like this guy?

I can't think of a single one.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
He's not. He has average at best 4 way mobility with okay straight line speed.

I'd question what anyone who says he is a very good skater is watching, he doesn't move all that well and I keep saying it, but he looks stiff to me and thats my sticking point with him - You can't ignore the production, the vision and the smarts but how many guys in the league are premiere point producers from the back end (and that will be his calling card) who move like this guy?

I can't think of a single one.

with all due respect, this is just not correct. at all.

while ill agree he isnt a dancer, to say his skating is a problem or hindrance is just incorrect.

this kid has excellent skating skills. top notch. is he a game breaker speed wise, nope. he's not going to dazzle you with his feet but that isnt the same thing as saying his skating is a weakness. its not.

2018 Prospect Profiles: Evan Bouchard

read. this.

i continue to say this kid is the perfect pick for this organization when we step up. perfect.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
with all due respect, this is just not correct. at all.

while ill agree he isnt a dancer, to say his skating is a problem or hindrance is just incorrect.

this kid has excellent skating skills. top notch. is he a game breaker speed wise, nope. he's not going to dazzle you with his feet but that isnt the same thing as saying his skating is a weakness. its not.

2018 Prospect Profiles: Evan Bouchard

read. this.

i continue to say this kid is the perfect pick for this organization when we step up. perfect.

I can't agree with any of that.

His skating skills are not excellent. Dobson, Hughes, Dahlin, Boqvist - Those guys have excellent skating skills, Bouchard is clearly a level (or 2) below those guys in that regard.

Like I said, it may not hold him back and perhaps his smarts are enough to get by in the NHL, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that risk, despite the fact that he checks nearly every other box.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I can't agree with any of that.

His skating skills are not excellent. Dobson, Hughes, Dahlin, Boqvist - Those guys have excellent skating skills, Bouchard is clearly a level (or 2) below those guys in that regard.

Like I said, it may not hold him back and perhaps his smarts are enough to get by in the NHL, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that risk, despite the fact that he checks nearly every other box.

were hockey just a foot race from point A to point B, then yes i like your take and concern more.

it isnt.

hockey is fluid and requires thought, execution and production.

his game projects well to the next level as a smart, point producing defensively aware 2 way top pair Dman.

he doesnt need to be a gazelle.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I haven't read any reports on Bouchard that say he's anything but a very good skater.
If your reading reports where Bouchard is a good skater but needs to work on his shot I advise looking for someone else’s reports. Its the exact opposite with him. His shot from everything I’ve seen is really good, but he defenitly needs to improve with skating although I do think his skating issues are overrated

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
were hockey just a foot race from point A to point B, then yes i like your take and concern more.

it isnt.

hockey is fluid and requires thought, execution and production.

his game projects well to the next level as a smart, point producing defensively aware 2 way top pair Dman.

he doesnt need to be a gazelle.

Thats the thing, I actually think he's fine point A to B.

It's the other directions that concern me. He isn't very fluid.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Thats the thing, I actually think he's fine point A to B.

It's the other directions that concern me. He isn't very fluid.

then thats just you. all I've seen and read about him says basically the same thing, slow first step. not a fast skater from point A to B from a stop. needs to be quicker getting up to speed.

personally when i watch him i see a guy who skates kinda upright and has some stiffness initially. what i do like is he's faster with the puck which matters to me more. when he's got the pill, he glides and makes smooth strides.

however, once at speed, he's agile, mobile, fluid and has very good edge work. his hip transition, ability to rotate and skate backwards and his gap control and angles are all excellent.

Reactions: Bozle

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
then thats just you. all I've seen and read about him says basically the same thing, slow first step. not a fast skater from point A to B from a stop. needs to be quicker getting up to speed.

however, once at speed, he's agile, mobile, fluid and has very good edge work. his hip transition, ability to rotate and skate backwards and his gap control and angles are all excellent.

I suggest you stop reading reports and watch a video or 2 - I'm not trying to be snarky here either.

Then watch one of any of the other draft eligible D slated to go in the same range - Those are what excellent skaters look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad