Who do you take at 7th (now 8th) overall?

Who do you take at 7th overall?

• Total voters

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
........from what I have seen ... Kravtsov is picked in the 25-31 range

The guy is really good. If you think he is a great player, the rankings don’t matter. Obviously, Bowman will have to have a feel for the draft and trade down if he can, but Kravtsov looks great to me in what I have seen and read. I’d be surprised if someone didn’t disregard the rankings and take him high. Seems like a Russian factor or some extraneous thing.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The guy is really good. If you think he is a great player, the rankings don’t matter. Obviously, Bowman will have to have a feel for the draft and trade down if he can, but Kravtsov looks great to me in what I have seen and read. I’d be surprised if someone didn’t disregard the rankings and take him high. Seems like a Russian factor or some extraneous thing.
I’d rather Bowman use the later pick and trade up to get him than trade down out of the top 10.

Reactions: BK

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
tkatchuk makes me very nervous that high. i generally dont like taking players that have "the potential" but dont put up big numbers. 8 goals in 4 games gets me worried but i only have seen him play 2 times and he stood out. so i guess im saying he confuses me.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I’d rather Bowman use the later pick and trade up to get him than trade down out of the top 10.

Agreed, potential top D-man first pick plus potential top forward is ideal for us with the 2 picks. I just don’t know that or why Kravtsov would not be picked outside the top 15, so what would it take to move up 10-12 spots in your opinion?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I mean... if you think he's worth a top 10 pick, then that's up to you. I just don't see it from everything I've looked at. I mean, he's projected as barely a 1st rounder, and you want the Hawks to take him with a top 10 pick...

As far as experience being greater... minimal ice time on Traktor(even at 18) and 7 points in 35 games does not ooze confidence to make him a top 10 pick.
Apparently he has really darted up the draft rankings lately.
Moved from 10th on this list at the midterm, to 3rd.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Agreed, potential top D-man first pick plus potential top forward is ideal for us with the 2 picks. I just don’t know that or why Kravtsov would not be picked outside the top 15, so what would it take to move up 10-12 spots in your opinion?
I really have no idea which team and what they would covet, but ideally we get rid of AA’s contract with it. Or maybe one of the many middle dmen we have in the system plus a later pick in addition to the Preds pick.

This scenario could play out for any number of draft pick options. Always seems difficult to predict, and our lay predictions typically seem way off of what eventually occurs.

“Equal value” for a GM isn’t necessarily what I believe it should be. For example, I think if we scored a Ryan Hartman equivalent from that late first, that would be a winning pick.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I really have no idea which team and what they would covet, but ideally we get rid of AA’s contract with it. Or maybe one of the many middle dmen we have in the system plus a later pick in addition to the Preds pick.

This scenario could play out for any number of draft pick options. Always seems difficult to predict, and our lay predictions typically seem way off of what eventually occurs.

“Equal value” for a GM isn’t necessarily what I believe it should be. For example, I think if we scored a Ryan Hartman equivalent from that late first, that would be a winning pick.

And that’s why I want to do what you do and trade the second one up. We need better than that from both.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I've only seen highlights of Kravtsov but he looks to have super high end skill. That leaves the main question for me being about his hockey IQ. If he has good hockey IQ on top of his skill then yeah, he's a homerun.

He's also only really gotten attention recently for his playoff performance, which is why his rankings are all over the place now.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Tkachuk has a lower ceiling than some of the guys taken in the top fifteen but his floor is a solid bottom six guy and he's nhl ready.

I'd be thrilled with him at 7. Worst case scenario he's a 15/15 guy with size and snarl. If he pans out he's his dad.

Again, isnt anyone here concerned about his wheels? You should be. A probable 7th pick, some guys out there who look to be top 6 talent, and you want a bottom 6 guy with questionable wheels? Have you watched what is happening in the NHL?

Doesnt anyone look at the fact that Pho took Strome at #3 and hes largely been a minor leaguer because of his wheels while so many taken after him are thriving?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Poor skating is absolutely a red flag and I would not have Tkachuk in my top 10. At this point in a player's career, you can't fix someone's skating.

If you aren't a great skater, you have to be absolutely elite at pretty much everything else.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Poor skating is absolutely a red flag and I would not have Tkachuk in my top 10. At this point in a player's career, you can't fix someone's skating.

If you aren't a great skater, you have to be absolutely elite at pretty much everything else.

Starting to feel this way as well. I am high on Hughes but he is not available to vote for. Doesn't matter though as Uncle Jerry is going to hand us Rasmus Dahlin.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm not worried about Tkachuk's skating. He's not a burner, but he doesn't have to be. I don't think it's going to hinder him in the NHL at all. His decision-making, however... that will need some work. I think he is a top 10 talent in this draft, but I think he can be argued/debated out of the Top 5.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Well I will say skating can be worked on especially at this level. These NHL tams have excellent trainers and skating coaches they employ, the Canucks alone have turned both Virtanen and Boeser around from being below average skaters to good skaters..it is IMO one of the most teachable skills you can work with. Not every player will see success as it depends on the level and style of skating a player is at, but remember with Boeser why he went as low as he did - skating??? Now his skating is above average as he worked on it all summer....also remember Jason Robertson from last year's draft who is one of the best goal scorers for his age in the world but dropped to 39 to Dallas...well guess what? His skating has improved as well, and now Dallas likely landed a Gold mind in the kid...

As Blue Liner said, I really do not see any skating issues with Tkachuk at all. He does and will do just fine in that regards. He is a 6'3 power forward that isn't going to be blasting up and down the ice...not his game or his role. The kid is strong as an ox on his skates, so hard to knock off the puck...his stats are absolutely misleading just like Casey Mittelstadt who surprise surprise just put up a near ppg since he made the show...Tkachuk isn't Mittelstadt in pure skill, but he will produce here, don't make the mistake others did with Boeser, Robertson, etc..

I picked Bouchard at #7 because I feel for his position he is simply near elite in so many areas. Very hard to pass up on him. But if he is gone and Tkachuk is (unlikely) still there, you run up to the podium as quick as you can and announce his name.

Reactions: Enyaw

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Again, isnt anyone here concerned about his wheels? You should be. A probable 7th pick, some guys out there who look to be top 6 talent, and you want a bottom 6 guy with questionable wheels? Have you watched what is happening in the NHL?

Doesnt anyone look at the fact that Pho took Strome at #3 and hes largely been a minor leaguer because of his wheels while so many taken after him are thriving?

His skating isn't an issue. I don't want him because I think he's going to be a bottom six guy. I want him because he could turn into a 30/30 guy.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I honestly hope that some how we get Denisenko with Nashville's pick because of Russian factor or something. I think Kratsov is amazing too but I don't know if we need a forward at 7. I think he is definitely good enough to take at 7 or earlier

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
BPA. You don't draft for need in hockey.
I guess you’re right but I feel solid about him and a couple dman at the same time like Hughes and if both are available I think they both have immense talent and the same amount of risk ( height or Russian factor ) so I think it would be a choice of dman or forward there. I agree with BPA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad