Who do the Oilers bring in as associate or assistants if Tmac stays?

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Here I thought Roloson was still with Anaheim but he's not. He's a coaching consultant with the WHL's Victoria Royals.

Maybe he can be coaxed to come back to Edmonton as the goalie coach.

If I remember corectly, Stauffer talked about Roloson possibly being ready to jump back to a goalie coach position for this next year. That was months ago though. Take it for what its worth.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If I remember corectly, Stauffer talked about Roloson possibly being ready to jump back to a goalie coach position for this next year. That was months ago though. Take it for what its worth.

That would be great if he came back, hopefully this was one of Stauffer's mystery clue pizzas he likes to serve to his audience.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yah I get what you are saying and Bill Ranford has more professional experience for sure. Schwartz did take a huge jump from coaching young guys to the pros but did train with some of the best in Mast and Ranford. Not sure playing experience matters as much as trust/respect between the goalie and the coach, and what he is teaching/practicing. With Talbot's declining play and results this year it is fair to speculate about Schwartz being the most effective goalie coach. By the same token though should he not get credit for Talbot's success the year prior? IMO Talbot bounces back this year, I guess we'll find out.

Talbot went on his streak of great play after he talked to his old coach from New York. Schwartz had nothing to do with it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How about Mike Kitchen in an associate role?

He ran the defense and the PK in Chicago for their last two Cups.

Reactions: ujju2

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Bring back Todd N and Rocky T and add Glen G. Done.

Leavins is talking about these guys in his article today. I don’t think he’s really all that connected but he was “wondering” if Johnson and Herbers are out (Herbers to the OK’s), Woodcroft to Bakersfield as HC and the Oilers are waiting for some guys to finish their seasons so they can announce all the coaching at once. Sure sounds like McLellan is staying.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I know people want Woodcroft far, far away from the Oilers (I do, too). But him getting the HC job in Bakersfield would also be a massive mistake. Absolutely zero HC experience. We complain about the Oilers record of developing athletes and the HC on the farm plays a huge role in that. So putting Woodcroft in that position makes zero sense.
So probably exactly what they will do.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I know people want Woodcroft far, far away from the Oilers (I do, too). But him getting the HC job in Bakersfield would also be a massive mistake. Absolutely zero HC experience. We complain about the Oilers record of developing athletes and the HC on the farm plays a huge role in that. So putting Woodcroft in that position makes zero sense.
So probably exactly what they will do.
McLellan and Woodcroft would likely have good communication, but that’s about the only positive I could think of about Woodcroft being a good AHL coach. As far as I can tell no one on McLellan’s current staff is good with young players, which is why I liked Nelson/Krueger/Thompson so much.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Allaire? I never heard that
I heard the same thing as BigFuzzyDice, the case I recall was his first season with us and he hadn't yet cemented the starting role for himself, apparently had a little pow-wow with Allaire and he played substantially better from that point on. I didn't hear anything about reaching out to Allaire since then, but it seems like Allaire had the magic touch for getting him back on track when things went a bit sideways.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Just out of curiosity has this ever worked?
I know teams change their assistants over time due to opportunities etc.

But has a team ever forced the coach to can his assistants in the off season. Then go on and have a good following season?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just out of curiosity has this ever worked?
I know teams change their assistants over time due to opportunities etc.

But has a team ever forced the coach to can his assistants in the off season. Then go on and have a good following season?
I’m not sure how common it is for this kind of stuff to become public. Only situation I can recall is Quenville having one of his assistants being fired out from under him. I don’t know if it hurt but it sure didn’t help.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Stauffer only recommends the Mediterranean chicken. While getting between him and a pizza might resemble a scene from mad max beyond thunderdome he only serves **** sammy's on his show...
it's a bit weird that he only plugs for the Mediterranean Chicken. You'd think he'd change his mind once in a while. The whole thing reeks of corruption to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad