Who do the Oilers bring in as associate or assistants if Tmac stays?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Boudreau would be a no brainer in my mind. Guy ****s out 100 point seasons like its nothing.

Edit: As head coach obviously.

That's who I'd want. He knows offensive and winning (at least in the regular season) hockey.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
Another wild card could be Paul MacLean? I believe we interviewed him back in 2015 to be an assistant but he opted for Anaheim when it looked like Boudreau was on a short leash. Also won a cup with TMac in Detroit.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Another wild card could be Paul MacLean? I believe we interviewed him back in 2015 to be an assistant but he opted for Anaheim when it looked like Boudreau was on a short leash.
Is he working anywhere right now? The Ducks didn't renew his contract after last season.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'd take Huddy.

Yep me too, but would he return here? He's got a pretty good thing going in the 'Peg right now.

Could be assistants as well

Personally I'd like to bring in at least someone who was a head coach at one time. Someone who maybe could give suggestions to help adapt to different teams.

I noticed Talbot started going towards Scrivens style with his glove. Not as bad, but was holding that glove weird at times again. Goalies are also messed up as they usually have their own coach. Does Talbot respect Schwartz? As you said who really is Schwartz? And who knows maybe Schwartz is fine, but if Talbot isn't buying in then it doesn't really matter.

Solid points...too me, having a teacher/instructor/leader who has experience is much more likely to have respect than someone who doesn't. Another sign Schwartz may be out of his league is with Brossoit up behind Talbot for part of last season and most of this season, he showed no improvement under his tutelage, but that's just my take.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Can't wait for this assessment to be over. I need a reason to get excited for next season. Please get a new coach.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Another wild card could be Paul MacLean? I believe we interviewed him back in 2015 to be an assistant but he opted for Anaheim when it looked like Boudreau was on a short leash. Also won a cup with TMac in Detroit.
Or at the very least the look a like

Reactions: TheRebuild

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yep me too, but would he return here? He's got a pretty good thing going in the 'Peg right now.

Solid points...too me, having a teacher/instructor/leader who has experience is much more likely to have respect than someone who doesn't. Another sign Schwartz may be out of his league is with Brossoit up behind Talbot for part of last season and most of this season, he showed no improvement under his tutelage, but that's just my take.
I'm not one to say you have to be a hall of fame goalie to be a goalie coach, but if the starter doesn't see eye to eye with the guy don't you have no choice and have to move him. I'm not sure if this is the case, but it could very well be.

And like you say it's not like Brossoit showed improvement either.

Schwartz maybe has value, tough to say. Might be in the wrong position. One thing is for sure he and Talbot have to be on the same page. If they aren't we have a problem.

Reactions: McFuhryous

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
the oilers should put their tails between their legs and ask todd nelson to come back.
Who's tail would it really be? I don't think PC would really care. If Nelson is the guy then he really has no reason to avoid him.

MacT is the guy that screwed him over anyway.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I’d want Sheldon Keefe. Everywhere he goes, teams play better after he gets there. He seems like a good candidate to be the next Gallant. We need to get a guy who sees where the game is going, someone willing to adapt. The older coaches seem to believe in their system/methods too strongly because they’ve done it “that way” for so long.

That said, I’d be okay with Boudreau. At least the guy has a pulse. We need an ass kicker.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I’d want Sheldon Keefe. Everywhere he goes, teams play better after he gets there. He seems like a good candidate to be the next Gallant. We need to get a guy who sees where the game is going, someone willing to adapt. The older coaches seem to believe in their system/methods too strongly because they’ve done it “that way” for so long.

That said, I’d be okay with Boudreau. At least the guy has a pulse. We need an ass kicker.

this is exactly what has to happen. A coach that can find the strengths in his team and adapt and build a system that works to the strengths of the players he has.

That is why I suggested Todd Nelson, he came in and found which players were stronger in certain areas and put them in a position to succeed. And I hope we get a coach that takes more of the Vegas approach and puts lines together and lets them go and work through their issues. It takes time to learn the intricacies of your linemates. changing lines every 1.75 games doesn't help unless you have a team full of players with the vision of nuge/mcdavid.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I disagree Ranford's teaching would have little effect and under Schwartz we have seen Talbot's glove hand become less effective. Just because they are teaching the same technique doesn't make Schwartz an effective "teacher". This is where Ranford is an effective teacher. He can draw from his professional NHL career experience whereas Schwartz draws from what...University hockey and a year of coaching Junior A goalies? How this somehow qualifies him to instruct NHL goaltenders is baffling.

No wonder Talbot's play has gone into the toilet. My last sentence in the post you quoted addressed Ranford being a part of the 80's dynasty and he's the only ex-Oiler I would like to see in a coaching capacity with the current club.
Yah I get what you are saying and Bill Ranford has more professional experience for sure. Schwartz did take a huge jump from coaching young guys to the pros but did train with some of the best in Mast and Ranford. Not sure playing experience matters as much as trust/respect between the goalie and the coach, and what he is teaching/practicing. With Talbot's declining play and results this year it is fair to speculate about Schwartz being the most effective goalie coach. By the same token though should he not get credit for Talbot's success the year prior? IMO Talbot bounces back this year, I guess we'll find out.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Yah I get what you are saying and Bill Ranford has more professional experience for sure. Schwartz did take a huge jump from coaching young guys to the pros but did train with some of the best in Mast and Ranford. Not sure playing experience matters as much as trust/respect between the goalie and the coach, and what he is teaching/practicing. With Talbot's declining play and results this year it is fair to speculate about Schwartz being the most effective goalie coach. By the same token though should he not get credit for Talbot's success the year prior? IMO Talbot bounces back this year, I guess we'll find out.

actually when talbot was having difficulty in the previous seasons he reached out to his former goalie coach for assistance. The schwartz was not strong in him.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Bob Stauffer hinted hard yesterday that the guys they want are still coaching in the playoffs.

If I'm remembering right, I think Trent Yawney (currently assistant in Anaheim) was one of Todd's assistant coaches from 2008--2011 (i.e. the period Todd had the most success in San Jose). Yawney runs the PK in Anaheim, and it's been top 5 pretty much every season he's been there. If I had to bet, I'm guessing he's their guy (or at least one of them).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

That's a good point with his play last year, but if bigfuzzydice's statement is true, that doesn't bode well for Schwartz's future or his coaching abilities. Aside from Roloson, which is 12 years ago now, the Oilers have not had a solid goaltender since then and I'm including Talbot. One good season out of three doesn't cut it for me. I like Talbot, I really do but his goaltending was really shaky this season. A good coach should be able to find the wrinkles and iron them out when he's struggling. Now it's not all on the goalie coach. The player shoulders a lion's share of the blame too. Whatever was ailing Talbot, be it mental, physical or a combination of both, I hope he sorts it out prior to the first week of October. I also hope Chiarelli can land a solid and dependable 1B because if Talbot struggles out of the gate again...look out. Maybe Mrazek? Philly is getting lit up against Pittsburgh and he's not even dressed...Neuvirth is the backup. I'm pretty sure Mrazek has to be qualified around $4 million but if he's not and goes UFA, maybe he signs for $2.5-3 million. Wishful thinking, I know.

I'm just frustrated with the recent goalie coaching because the previous guy (Chabot) put so many holes in Dubnyk's game that Trotz refused to start him after seeing him two or three times and Mitch Korn couldn't fix him. That says something, considering Dubnyk turned it around (no I'm not pining for him-I was never a Dubnyk fan but am glad he saved his own career). The Oilers need to get an experienced NHL goalie coach with a resume of successful goalies in order to have successful goaltending themselves.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When it comes to goalies not necessarily. Sure Schwartz was there, but was Talbot listening to him last year. Pretty sure Cam has his own guy as do a lot of NHL goalies.

It's really tricky to figure out who has done what to a goalie's game, as even if you have the best goalie coach in the world the goalie himself may still listen to his guy.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Here I thought Roloson was still with Anaheim but he's not. He's a coaching consultant with the WHL's Victoria Royals.

Maybe he can be coaxed to come back to Edmonton as the goalie coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad