Who do the Oilers bring in as associate or assistants if Tmac stays?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If they bring an associate coach, he better have some special teams pedigree

Todd Nelson had a good PP...doubt he comes
Bill Peters probably goes to Calgary but he'd be ideal too

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
imo, they're going to bring in someone who has a bit of cachet, who can take control of the team if things go poorly. I doubt they're handing the reins over to Woodcroft.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What am I missing with Bill Peters. 4 years as a head coach, best season he’s had was 87 points. Carolina missed the playoffs every year he was their coach. Their powerplay prepetually sucks and their PK tanked it this year too.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
What am I missing with Bill Peters. 4 years as a head coach, best season he’s had was 87 points. Carolina missed the playoffs every year he was their coach. Their powerplay prepetually sucks and their PK tanked it this year too.

Nothing about him screams brilliant, that's for sure.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

I feel the same. The whole city seems to have a hard-on for him.

Also Im hoping they keep holding off this announcement until they give Trotz the option to come over.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
...in all seriousness, I hope LA gets swept (sorry @Drivesaitl its for selfish reasons, I promise) just to see if Bill Ranford shakes loose...he'd be a solid goalie coach for Talbot and whoever the Oilers get as a 1b.

He's one of the very few ex-Oilers from the dynasty years I want in a coaching capacity with them.
Dustin Schwartz, Lyle Mast and Bill Ranford have been preaching and coaching the same goaltending philosophies going back several years. Schwartz is essentially teaching the exact same technique as Ranford so it would have little effect, Ranford does draw from more personal success ofcourse. And isn't a Ranford hire on par with another OBC hire?

Reactions: TB12

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Paul MacLean's Sen's had very fluctuating numbers in terms of special teams over his years in Ottawa, but he would be an interesting option if he has interest

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Dustin Schwartz, Lyle Mast and Bill Ranford have been preaching and coaching the same goaltending philosophies going back several years. Schwartz is essentially teaching the exact same technique as Ranford so it would have little effect, Ranford does draw from more personal success ofcourse. And isn't a Ranford hire on par with another OBC hire?

Of the ex oilers I'd take rollie the goalie to handle the heads in net. it's not the mechanics as much as it is the need for a head shrinker on this team. He had success as a coach soon after his playing days. Was a consummate professional his whole career and would be good for the team.

Not renewing him and signing nic heavyboozin instead has caused this team problems right to this day. They got rid of Rollie because he would have won too many games. Good goaltending is a no no when you build a super tank. Khabi's knack of not only being bad but also hurt too much saw our prospects between the pipes get thrown to the wolves.

Doobie would have developed properly here under rollies type of veteran leadership. Plus devin would have had to earn the starting job instead of drowning in it. Another historically bad move that helped wreck the culture here, forced us to watch bad hockey and soured a solid prospect.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Rocky Thompson and Kris Knoblauch. Send Woody packing to the AHL. Try to hire the goalie coach that turned Hellebuycks game around last summer as goalie coach.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
in all seriousness though, i really hope woodcroft is out of the organization when all is said and done. Don't see that happening though if Mclellan is retained.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Dustin Schwartz, Lyle Mast and Bill Ranford have been preaching and coaching the same goaltending philosophies going back several years. Schwartz is essentially teaching the exact same technique as Ranford so it would have little effect, Ranford does draw from more personal success of course. And isn't a Ranford hire on par with another OBC hire?

I disagree Ranford's teaching would have little effect and under Schwartz we have seen Talbot's glove hand become less effective. Just because they are teaching the same technique doesn't make Schwartz an effective "teacher". This is where Ranford is an effective teacher. He can draw from his professional NHL career experience whereas Schwartz draws from what...University hockey and a year of coaching Junior A goalies? How this somehow qualifies him to instruct NHL goaltenders is baffling.

No wonder Talbot's play has gone into the toilet. My last sentence in the post you quoted addressed Ranford being a part of the 80's dynasty and he's the only ex-Oiler I would like to see in a coaching capacity with the current club.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Bob Stauffer hinted hard yesterday that the guys they want are still coaching in the playoffs.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Bob Stauffer hinted hard yesterday that the guys they want are still coaching in the playoffs.

Who are the realistic options on the hot seat with that info... Boudreau? Carlyle? Trotz?

I dunno about those names. Simliar to how I don't like how the goal is just playoffs per the post season pressers. The goal with McDavid should be perennial contender.

Those names might get us to the show, not sure if they make us the star of the show.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Boudreau would be a no brainer in my mind. Guy shits out 100 point seasons like its nothing.

Edit: As head coach obviously.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Is that what he said? I was distracted and missed some of what he said, but I thought he hinted that the next assistant coach is in the AHL playoffs right now. Didn't quite catch it.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I disagree Ranford's teaching would have little effect and under Schwartz we have seen Talbot's glove hand become less effective. Just because they are teaching the same technique doesn't make Schwartz an effective "teacher". This is where Ranford is an effective teacher. He can draw from his professional NHL career experience whereas Schwartz draws from what...University hockey and a year of coaching Junior A goalies? How this somehow qualifies him to instruct NHL goaltenders is baffling.

No wonder Talbot's play has gone into the toilet. My last sentence in the post you quoted addressed Ranford being a part of the 80's dynasty and he's the only ex-Oiler I would like to see in a coaching capacity with the current club.

I'd take Huddy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who are the realistic options on the hot seat with that info... Boudreau? Carlyle? Trotz?

I dunno about those names. Simliar to how I don't like how the goal is just playoffs per the post season pressers. The goal with McDavid should be perennial contender.

Those names might get us to the show, not sure if they make us the star of the show.
Could be assistants as well

Personally I'd like to bring in at least someone who was a head coach at one time. Someone who maybe could give suggestions to help adapt to different teams.

I noticed Talbot started going towards Scrivens style with his glove. Not as bad, but was holding that glove weird at times again. Goalies are also messed up as they usually have their own coach. Does Talbot respect Schwartz? As you said who really is Schwartz? And who knows maybe Schwartz is fine, but if Talbot isn't buying in then it doesn't really matter.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
in all seriousness though, i really hope woodcroft is out of the organization when all is said and done. Don't see that happening though if Mclellan is retained.

Oilers fire Jay Woodcroft

Oilers hire Jean Woodcreux

t6131ew.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->