Who do the Oilers bring in as associate or assistants if Tmac stays?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Heard the rumor that Gretzky, MacT, Messier and Coffey will be his assistants. Todd will also be required to wear duct tape over his mouth at all times and sunglasses.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
...in all seriousness, I hope LA gets swept (sorry @Drivesaitl its for selfish reasons, I promise) just to see if Bill Ranford shakes loose...he'd be a solid goalie coach for Talbot and whoever the Oilers get as a 1b.

He's one of the very few ex-Oilers from the dynasty years I want in a coaching capacity with them.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
I see Woodcroft has been with Tmac since 05-06. So just maybe Tmac will choose to go somewhere else and take Woodcroft with him rather than remaining on without him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Tony Granato
At least we know Granato doesn’t have any issues with taking over if his head coach gets fired. Not sure if this is a good thing though. I can’t think of a player I hated more than him when he played. Nobody dove to draw penalties in hockey like he did and then turtled whenever there was trouble. For those to young to have seen him play, think Getlaf, Kessler and Mathew Tkachuk all rolled into one. I thought he was such a coward as a player. Then his character took another beating when he was perceived to have stabbed his boss in the back to get his first head coaching job in Colorado. I’m not sure what he’s been doing lately but I heard his name mentioned with the Oilers over the weekend so it looks like a possibility. It would take a lot of effort for me to welcome him to the Oilers. I don’t know if I have it in me. I hope they look elsewhere.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I see Woodcroft has been with Tmac since 05-06. So just maybe Tmac will choose to go somewhere else and take Woodcroft with him rather than remaining on without him.

Todd when presented with the idea of not coaching with Woodcroft.

Minus being pretty and having a great voice of course.

KidAnger

Sep 12, 2015
Edmonton
I have no guesses on additions to the coaching staff but I have a freighter this will happen:

- Todd: Back
- Woodcroft: HC in Bakersfield
- Johnson: Gone
- Herbers: HC @ U of A

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Hoping for Bill Peters, bring him in as an Associate Coach. Let him know at the end of every season he is free to take Head Coaching job somewhere else. Bring in Oates and PP, faceoff and skills development Assistant Coach.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I have no guesses on additions to the coaching staff but I have a freighter this will happen:

- Todd: Back
- Woodcroft: HC in Bakersfield
- Johnson: Gone
- Herbers: HC @ U of A

If that happens, as has been speculated the last week...is that a promotion? Is it a demotion?

Or do we just call it a "motion".

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If that happens, as has been speculated the last week...is that a promotion? Is it a demotion?

I asked this question yesterday but I’m more curious to know just what he’s shown the organization that would make him a good choice for that job. What’s he shown that would suggest he has his contract renewed for any position? People scratch their heads trying to figure out why we can’t develop prospects. Coaching hires like he would be help explain it.

This just looks like something that would be done to get Mclellan to agree to move away from him as an assistant. Unless it’s just about the six million dollars still owed to Mclellan I don’t see what he’s done well enough to stay here himself, let alone dictate if a failed assistant gets to keep a job.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hoping for Bill Peters, bring him in as an Associate Coach. Let him know at the end of every season he is free to take Head Coaching job somewhere else. Bring in Oates and PP, faceoff and skills development Assistant Coach.
Now granted this article is 2 years old, but Oates doesn't seem to have much interest in coaching anymore. Seems like he's content to work with individual players across the league.

30 Thoughts: Adam Oates responds to his critics - Sportsnet.ca

The article also points to the fact that Oates might not be appreciated much around the league. Or at least wasn't 2 years ago. I also remember reading some stuff about how he was super controlling in terms of trying to force players he was coaching to change their sticks and stuff.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I asked this question yesterday but I’m more curious to know just what he’s shown the organization that would make him a good choice for that job. What’s he shown that would suggest he has his contract renewed for any position? People scratch their heads trying to figure out why we can’t develop prospects. Coaching hires like he would be help explain it.

This just looks like something that would be done to get Mclellan to agree to move away from him as an assistant. Unless it’s just about the six million dollars still owed to Mclellan I don’t see what he’s done well enough to stay here himself, let alone dictate if a failed assistant gets to keep a job.

I think someone posted a tweet or something along those lines a few days ago that Woodcroft didn't communicate enough with the players. If true they're putting him in charge of Head Communicator aka head coach of the developing prospects??

That shit don't fly with me. Purge both teams.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

KidAnger

Sep 12, 2015
Edmonton

I think it is what it is I suppose.

He doesn’t have any experience running a bench as a head coach - for him this is a way to get that. For the oilers, I suppose heyvget change at that level with continuity to coaching at NHL level systems wise.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
A name to watch as soon as Philly is out of playoffs is Kris Knoblauch. Mcdavids junior coach from Erie. Widely regarded as a special team expert and has worked well with young players. He won’t be an assistant and will bring in his own guys.

Would not be shocked to see him replace Todd Mclellan before the lottery on the 28th.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think it is what it is I suppose.

He doesn’t have any experience running a bench as a head coach - for him this is a way to get that. For the oilers, I suppose heyvget change at that level with continuity to coaching at NHL level systems wise.

The thing that bugs me is Woodcroft, from what I know and can find, has never held a HC title at any level. Even Mclellan got his first HC gig in the SJHL and moved through the ranks. For Woodcroft to be gifted a HC gig at one level below the NHL in his first HC role just reeks.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->