Speculation: Who do the Habs Pick, at the 2018 Draft??

Who do you Take #4 Overall?

• Total voters

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
What's with the hate for Tkachuk? I kind of like him, I think he already has an NHL game.

I like Wahlstrom a lot, but the fact that he's slated to go to Harvard just leaves a sour taste. Reminds me of Louis Leblanc.
Apparently it's very likely that he doesn't go to Harvard.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What's with the hate for Tkachuk? I kind of like him, I think he already has an NHL game.

I like Wahlstrom a lot, but the fact that he's slated to go to Harvard just leaves a sour taste. Reminds me of Louis Leblanc.

Tkachuks a good player. I agree with you that he has an NHL game, but following him in the NCAA where he has to take on more of a take charge role, he comes away as underwhelming. It doesn't help that he's never had the stats to back up where he's projected (top 5). I have him more in the 6-12 range.

About Wahlstrom, he's not going to Harvard. His options right now are Boston College, Michigan or somewhere else (Europe for example).

But, even if he did go to Harvard, I don't see that as a bad thing at all. It didn't prevent Ryan Donato or Alex Kerfoot from developping as well as they have. It's a better program than our AHL team, by far.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This could be a very interesting option for the Habs.
How many top tier picks have been traded in the salary cap era?
I know that last year the Canucks were going to trade 5th overall for 6th overall and a 2nd(unsure which one since Vegas had pick 34 and 62), but once Vegas knew who Vancouver would take, they backed out last second. Also, in 2015, I believe the Bruins were very close to getting a top 5 pick. So it's not entirely out of the question, and I would definitely entertain the idea, but if a team is offering a 2nd to move up, I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: Runner77

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
There's the Leafs who traded a 2nd and 3rd to move up from 7 to 5 in 08'. There's only two teams who really fit what we want (another 1st) and aren't too far down from us, in NYR and Chicago. Detroit wouldn't give up 27th to move up one spot. And NYI's second 1st is too high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He's not going there anymore.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014

In 2012, Snow offered all of his picks that year including #4 overall (insane) to CBJ for #2 overall. CBJ declined (even more insane) and took Murray at 2 and Snow picked Griffin Reinhart at 4.

I wonder if Snow had become wittier. I would definitely propose #4 + Wsh's 2nd for NYI's #10 and #12 overall. This would perhaps allow us to take a Ty Smith at 10 and Kot at 12.

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
Regarding Tkachuk, he would probably be a nice fit on a team that already has a young talented core as a complement power forward with grit. It certainly is the kind of piece you want in a team, be when a team needs talent as badly as the habs, I would be beyond mad if we pick him... And I'm sure it wouldn't be Timmins choice, let the scouts work!

AshyHabs

Biceps>Brains
Dec 27, 2015
Montreal
In this sense, it does really matter who we pick. There are players who, due to circumstance, will avoid our player development system. Anyone who's involved in the Swedish system probably won't play for our AHL affiliate (there's literally no purpose beyond a short stay to get used to the smaller ice surface). Likewise for NCAA players.

You're right I'll give you that, assuming we handle the player properly. I'm just so concerned how they will handle anyone we pick. Imagine getting Dahlin (despite him being NHL ready IMO) and you have MB and Julien saying, "ya let him do a stint in the AHL". I'm just not confident management can manage anything at all anymore.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
There's the Leafs who traded a 2nd and 3rd to move up from 7 to 5 in 08'. There's only two teams who really fit what we want (another 1st) and aren't too far down from us, in NYR and Chicago. Detroit wouldn't give up 27th to move up one spot. And NYI's second 1st is too high.

Then there is Max Patioready. We need to get out of this draft at least with Kotkaniemi or we are not trying. If we win the lottery and get a top 3, that's great, but we still need to take a shot on Kotkaniemi using Max's value (or Baron+, or Petry+)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You're right I'll give you that, assuming we handle the player properly. I'm just so concerned how they will handle anyone we pick. Imagine getting Dahlin (despite him being NHL ready IMO) and you have MB and Julien saying, "ya let him do a stint in the AHL". I'm just not confident management can manage anything at all anymore.

I feel the same way, if we draft him, the only way to treat him is to get him to play with Weber or Petry (pick one, make it stable) all year whatever the mistakes and this is where it will go wrong with this organization.

Dahlin - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

might be the most logical way to go.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
All kidding aside, we don't get #1 overall....sad but most likely happen....

then who do we select at 4....Brady??

Does Brady give what this team needs, or would he be a distraction with his aggressive style?

after that a bunch of D men......

this would be awesome, but can't see him falling to 4

Zadina is a 200-foot beast that knows how to finish, plus sees plenty of ice time on both the power play and on the penalty kill. This will lead to inflated totals on special teams in addition to being among his team leaders in every traditional statistical category. - Steve Kournianos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad