Speculation: Who do the Habs Pick, at the 2018 Draft??

Who do you Take #4 Overall?

• Total voters

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Give me Brady Tkachuk. Okay, numbers aren't impressive. But, we can deny he has skills and size and grit. He gets into the other players face a lot and can finish around the net in a very skillful manner. Not really gargabe goals. His IQ and awareness on ice at both ends is amazing. We're not talking about a Lawson Crouse here. Matthew is more dynamic but Brady plays more like his Dad IMO.

Reactions: dralaf and Hannibal

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So you're high on a player with no shot and that will never develop one (cause it doesn't happen if you don't own one as a prospect), is who you want at the point?

?? Not sure if you're making fun of someone who said this.

1- im high on both of them. I chose Boq in the poll, mind you.

2- when Pac was a Wolverine, his shot wasn't all that great. He was far more a playmaker tjan a shooter.

3- I'll always prefer a playmaker on the point. Less predictable.

I will have a hard time to chose between the 2 until we get the combine results.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
?? Not sure if you're making fun of someone who said this.

1- im high on both of them. I chose Boq in the poll, mind you.

2- when Pac was a Wolverine, his shot wasn't all that great. He was far more a playmaker tjan a shooter.

3- I'll always prefer a playmaker on the point. Less predictable.

Why would I make fun of someone? It's not my MO. I will respond in kind but never will I attack someone.

Actually, I assumed you were part of our earlier discussions in this thread where a poster wrote this:

If we're looking for an impact D, I think hard shot is a must. Looking at top 20 scoring dmen this year, all of them have a great shot maybe except Gardiner and Suter. Hughes is miles ahead Mete and Beaulieu AINEC but shot is something pretty hard to develop. You either have it or not.

Taking the above comment, plus this:

Boqvist would be a candidate for the first overall pick had he not had the misfortune of being born the same year as Rasmus Dahlin. In the long run, however, he should churn out a very productive NHL career. Boqvist is a phenomenal puck rusher with a blistering shot who has proven to be too good for Sweden’s junior circuit. He may need to bulk up before heading over to North America, but Boqvist is one player dynamic enough to share breakout duties with Connor McDavid. (from The Draft Analyst)

It just looks to me that Boqvist has the better profile.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I pick Boqvist as #4.

I've watched plenty of these prospects (some more than others, obviously) and here's my final top 15 list (pretty sure teams will pick differently)

1. Dahlin
2.Svechnikov
3. Zadina/Boqvist
4. Boqvist/Zadina
5-Hughes
6- Wahlstrom
7-Kotkaniemi
8- Tkachuk
9- Bouchard
10-Thomas
11-Dobson
12- Farabee
13- Veleno
14-Merkley
15-Groulx

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I pick Boqvist as #4.

I've watched plenty of these prospects (some more than others, obviously) and here's my final top 15 list (pretty sure teams will pick differently)

1. Dahlin
2.Svechnikov
3. Zadina/Boqvist
4. Boqvist/Zadina
5-Hughes
6- Wahlstrom
7-Kotkaniemi
8- Tkachuk
9- Bouchard
10-Thomas
11-Dobson
12- Farabee
13- Veleno
14-Merkley
15-Groulx

Thanks for sharing your list.

Since you've had the advantage of watching them, what tilts the balance for Boqvist over Hughes for you? Also, you have Boqvist quite highly rated, since you have him as an alternate at the no. 3 spot.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
If at the draft you have a choice between a Markov type player and a PK type player, the clear choice should be to take the Markov type player because a Markov type player is much better at improving the teams win/loss % then a PK type player.

The habseyeontheprize analyzed Markov's numbers and I think other then Hampton from the Chicago Bears nobody in any pro sports had a bigger effect on a teams won/loss % when they compared the teams won/loss record with a player in the lineup vs. the team without him in the lineup.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Boqvist is a better dangler and better shooter, while Hughes is better at controling the play and a better playmaker, but besides that they're very similar.
i agree with you and that's why i prefer Boqvist ; not sure that Huges will be able to score in the NHL because he's not a good shooter . He could be a better " Mete " but will never put a lot of goals .

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Why would I make fun of someone? It's not my MO. I will respond in kind but never will I attack someone.

Actually, I assumed you were part of our earlier discussions in this thread where a poster wrote this:

Taking the above comment, plus this:

Boqvist would be a candidate for the first overall pick had he not had the misfortune of being born the same year as Rasmus Dahlin. In the long run, however, he should churn out a very productive NHL career. Boqvist is a phenomenal puck rusher with a blistering shot who has proven to be too good for Sweden’s junior circuit. He may need to bulk up before heading over to North America, but Boqvist is one player dynamic enough to share breakout duties with Connor McDavid. (from The Draft Analyst)

It just looks to me that Boqvist has the better profile.

Yeah Ive already read that report.

Thing is, Boqvist is playing in the Swedish junior, not the SHL, whereas Hughes is playing and dominating against tougher and older competition in the NCAA.

I suggest you look at them play. Hughes is more a Markov cerebral type, while Boqvist is more a Subban.

Cant go wrong with either of them imo.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bob McKenzie has Tkachuk going in the top 4 He's right more than he's wrong when it comes to the entry draft.

Good to know. Can't wait to see where Tkachuk ends up in BMac's final rankings.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yeah Ive already read that report.

Thing is, Boqvist is playing in the Swedish junior, not the SHL, whereas Hughes is playing and dominating against tougher and older competition in the NCAA.

I suggest you look at them play. Hughes is more a Markov cerebral type, while Boqvist is more a Subban.

Cant go wrong with either of them imo.

Boqvist played in the SHL this year, too.

Hughes is much more Subban than he is Markov. Much, much more. Boqvist, less so, but still a player who's skill stands out, but If I absolutely had to choose one who was more of a Markov "type" between the two, it would be him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Boqvist played in the SHL this year, too.

Hughes is much more Subban than he is Markov. Much, much more. Boqvist, less so, but still a player who's skill stands out, but If I absolutely had to choose one who was more of a Markov "type" between the two, it would be him.

"Him" meaning Boqvist as the "Markov type"?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Zero interest in Tkachuk. If you're picking around top 5, you cant settle for a player who likely falls into the 45-55 point range. We don't need more "grit" or complementary players. We need to aim for top end game breaking skill.

I love Gallagher, and those types of players are important, but would I take Gallagher top 5 in a strong draft when there are simply better players available?... probably not. Not saying Gallagher is a comparable for Tkachuk, because he's not. Just don't see the appeal of taking a 50 point complementary winger around top 5.

I personally believe that if Brady didn't have the last name that he does, then he would be more appropriately ranked around #10.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
"Him" meaning Boqvist as the "Markov type"?

Yeah.

But we're pretty limited when it comes to Boqvist. Unless you managed to get a swedish steaming service, youre pretty much limited to last years U18, the Hlinka and the 5 nations. I thought he played a bit differently in all of those tourneys, especially the recent 5 nations, but he wasnt relying on skills at the same level Hughes is. Dramatic made a great comparison when he said Hughes is basically Barzal on defense. I tend to agree with it and thats a player more on Subbans "type" than Markovs.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Give me Brady Tkachuk. Okay, numbers aren't impressive. But, we can deny he has skills and size and grit. He gets into the other players face a lot and can finish around the net in a very skillful manner. Not really gargabe goals. His IQ and awareness on ice at both ends is amazing. We're not talking about a Lawson Crouse here. Matthew is more dynamic but Brady plays more like his Dad IMO.
I thought I heard that Brady was a better meaner version of matt

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought I heard that Brady was a better meaner version of matt

I didn't see much of Matthew, since they went different routes it's harder to compare. If you look at the USNDTP numbers,

Matt - 24-13-20-33 75 pims +20
Brady - 24-12-11-23 73 pims +3

Now Matt had Auston Matthews, Jack Roslovic, McAvoy as teammates, where Brady's team was led in scoring by Quinn Huges/Josh Norris. although both teams had just about the same record, Matt's team 19-5-0-2, Brady's team 19-6-0-1

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I didn't see much of Matthew, since they went different routes it's harder to compare. If you look at the USNDTP numbers,

Matt - 24-13-20-33 75 pims +20
Brady - 24-12-11-23 73 pims +3

Now Matt had Auston Matthews, Jack Roslovic, McAvoy as teammates, where Brady's team was led in scoring by Quinn Huges/Josh Norris. although both teams had just about the same record, Matt's team 19-5-0-2, Brady's team 19-6-0-1

That's just vs USHL competition though. Matthew had 95 points total that year.

Mathew11

Aug 17, 2008
Montreal
With Weber and Petry locked in as our #1 and #2 RD shouldn't we draft a LD or a forward then a RD like Boqvist and Dobson?

Hughes is small but just amazing
If we stay at 4 i se bergevin taking Tkachuk :/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->