Who deserves the credit for VGK success?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Before the season started, everyone on here trashed George McPhee for picking a horrible roster. He was considered a joke on here and nobody thought the team could even come close to the playoffs. Are his expansion picks completely redeemed at this point (and are people willing to admit they were wrong)? He was widely considered a bottom-3 GM to start this season but could easily win GM of the year.

Then there's Gerard Gallant, as a coach he's definitely gotten the most out of his players. He should win the Jack Adams this year for what he's done. Looking at the roster they have, does GG deserve more credit than McPhee?

The players also deserve credit for performing way above expectations, but would they have been able to do so without Gallant, or McPhee to an extent?

Lastly, does Gary Bettman get credit for changing the expansion rules to make it much more favorable than in past years?

Let me know who you think deserves the most credit for their success, sorry I'm kind of asking a lot of questions.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
McPhee and Gallant.
Who here would honestly think William Karlsson would be this good (30+ goals) and would have drafted him in the expansion draft?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I mean, credit is due all around because the players are producing. However, have to think not many coaches could have gotten the same success with that roster. The coaches have implemented a system that lets the players compete every night without any real starpower to speak of.

Reactions: Fixxer

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McPhee and Gallant.
Who here would honestly think William Karlsson would be this good (30+ goals) and would have drafted him in the expansion draft?
No one figured Karlsson would be that good, but many people figured he might be the pick from Columbus

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Before the season started, everyone on here trashed George McPhee for picking a horrible roster. He was considered a joke on here and nobody thought the team could even come close to the playoffs. Are his expansion picks completely redeemed at this point (and are people willing to admit they were wrong)? He was widely considered a bottom-3 GM to start this season but could easily win GM of the year.

I thought the Sbisa pick was a bad one, especially when they started the season with 9 dmen, but he figured it out.

It's incredible how well a team with Engelleand as a top 4 dman is doing.

NHL.com - Stats

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I thought the Sbisa pick was a bad one, especially when they started the season with 9 dmen, but he figured it out.

It's incredible how well a team with Engelleand as a top 4 dman is doing.

NHL.com - Stats
the question is, did GMGM really know that these players would be this good with some special insight, or did he just pick these guys with the thought that they might be good trade bait to load up on some picks? I think the latter.

However, both fairly and unfairly, GMs get the credit if they make the right calls. We can assume all we want, but in the end he has the results and he deserves the GM's share of the credit.

member 256847

The NHL system opened the door but I'm going to go with a quality coach and individual in Gerard Gallant first and also, the great sense of unity that might have come from building a team full of outcasts. Do not underestimate what desperation and pride can accomplish. Kudos to Gallant for tapping into that.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013

Then there's Gerard Gallant, as a coach he's definitely gotten the most out of his players. He should win the Jack Adams this year for what he's done. Looking at the roster they have, does GG deserve more credit than McPhee?

The players also deserve credit for performing way above expectations, but would they have been able to do so without Gallant, or McPhee to an extent?

Lastly, does Gary Bettman get credit for changing the expansion rules to make it much more favorable than in past years?

Let me know who you think deserves the most credit for their success, sorry I'm kind of asking a lot of questions.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
GG for sure. He's getting the most out of this limited roster.
That, and Florida. Thanks for gifting the majority of one of best lines in hockey.

Reactions: Peanut

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. Starts with Gary for making the process better, then you go to their pro scouts, then the GM for using their info and making the deals/picks he did. Finally the coach and players for making the dream come true and the fans for embracing the team and giving them someone to play for. Group effort.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Even with the same rules in the next expansion draft it is still more likely that Seattle will miss the playoffs over making them. I wouldn't even consider them to lead the Westerm Conference. For some reason this mix of #4 defencemen, third line centers and top six wingers are playing extremely well. I personally don't understand it but it's exciting to see.

GMGM gets no credit from me. All he did was pick the best player available, best TDL rental or collect draft picks to select who the other GM wanted him to take. He was building a team for 3-5 years from now, this is just a coincidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->