Who can explain one of the mysteries of CapFriendly to me?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lets talk roster classification. I'm sure one of you guys has the knowledge to explain the following mystery to me...

In CapFriendly, 23 year old Juuso Valimaki is listed in the Flames roster section. Why? Why isn't he listed in the Non-Roster section? He only played 9 games for the Flames where 7 were played in October, 1 in November, and 1 in April. The vast majority of games that he played where in Stockton. Does CapFriendly know that the NHL considers him to be an NHL player and in order to start the season playing for the Heat he has to clear NHL waivers? Or am I wrong?

Then we have 23 year old Adam Ruzicka. In CapFriendly he is listed as a Non-Roster player even though he played 28 games for the Flames of which 5 were in April, 4 were in March, 10 were in February, etc. etc.
Starting with his first game with the Flames on Dec 5 he was a semi regular player for them... yet CapFriendly, unlike Valimaki, has him listed as a Non-Roster player which I assume means he can start the season with the Heat without clearing waivers?

Can someone explain why one player is designated a Roster player and the other a Non-Roster player and what are the implications of such designation?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lets talk roster classification. I'm sure one of you guys has the knowledge to explain the following mystery to me...

In CapFriendly, 23 year old Juuso Valimaki is listed in the Flames roster section. Why? Why isn't he listed in the Non-Roster section? He only played 9 games for the Flames where 7 were played in October, 1 in November, and 1 in April. The vast majority of games that he played where in Stockton. Does CapFriendly know that the NHL considers him to be an NHL player and in order to start the season playing for the Heat he has to clear NHL waivers? Or am I wrong?

Then we have 23 year old Adam Ruzicka. In CapFriendly he is listed as a Non-Roster player even though he played 28 games for the Flames of which 5 were in April, 4 were in March, 10 were in February, etc. etc.
Starting with his first game with the Flames on Dec 5 he was a semi regular player for them... yet CapFriendly, unlike Valimaki, has him listed as a Non-Roster player which I assume means he can start the season with the Heat without clearing waivers?

Can someone explain why one player is designated a Roster player and the other a Non-Roster player and what are the implications of such designation?

If I were a betting man, it's because Juuso has a one-way contract with the Flames, even if he finished his year in Stockton.

And Ruzicka finished his year in Stockton, and was on an ELC.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If I were a betting man, it's because Juuso has a one-way contract with the Flames, even if he finished his year in Stockton.

And Ruzicka finished his year in Stockton, and was on an ELC.

It is a site that is a resource for player contracts, not rosters.

Where the player is listed in a potential roster means absolutely nothing, especially during off-season.

Very likely based on the AAV and type of contract (one way vs two way).
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is...

Will both players have to clear waivers to start the season playing for the Heat? Neither? One will and One won't?

I was hoping that if a player is listed as a Non-Roster player on CapFriendly, that means they don't have to clear waivers to start the season playing for the Heat.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is...

Will both players have to clear waivers to start the season playing for the Heat? Neither? One will and One won't?

I was hoping that if a player is listed as a Non-Roster player on CapFriendly, that means they don't have to clear waivers to start the season playing for the Heat.
Both need to clear waivers. Regardless of if they are non-roster or not.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer and Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Both need to clear waivers. Regardless of if they are non-roster or not.
Thanks.. that's basically one of the things that I wanted to know.

BTW, I see Puckpedia has both Valimaki and Ruzicka listed as roster players.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
There are often extra "roster" players on those sites in the off season.

I also wonder if Valimaki might be classified in that manner because even when buried, he still has an NHL cap hit? Or is it considered non-roster cap hit on that site during the season?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Capfriendly had Tkachuk as 1LW on the depth chart even up to the day his was traded. That's just part of its predicting tool

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If a player has this
w_e.svg
icon beside their name, they are typically waiver exempt.

So for the Flambes, Cole Schwindt would be exempt from waiver claim, Matthew Phillips is not.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If a player has this
w_e.svg
icon beside their name, they are typically waiver exempt.

So for the Flambes, Cole Schwindt would be exempt from waiver claim, Matthew Phillips is not.
So you are saying that the Flames could very well lose Matthew Phillips through waivers this year if they try to send him back to the Heat even though he has basically never played an NHL game... I guess that sucks for the NHL club but its good for the player who has been buried in the minors for his career as it gives him a chance to play in the NHL with any club that claims him.

I wonder if Phillips will finally get his chance with the Flames this year? Or will the Flames take a chance and try to sneak him through waivers?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So you are saying that the Flames could very well lose Matthew Phillips through waivers this year if they try to send him back to the Heat even though he has basically never played an NHL game... I guess that sucks for the NHL club but its good for the player who has been buried in the minors for his career as it gives him a chance to play in the NHL with any club that claims him.

I wonder if Phillips will finally get his chance with the Flames this year? Or will the Flames take a chance and try to sneak him through waivers?

Phillips has had to clear waivers for 2-3 years already.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

It's extremely unlikely. He's really tiny and with no NHL showings, a team would have to take a massive flyer penciling him in to a roster spot. He probably won't make it in the bottom 6 and a PPG in the AHL at 23 isn't really that unheard of. I think he deserves a look but chances are he ends up in Europe.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I think he has to get a significantly long look, because after his performance last season I don't think he's making it through waivers this time, even during the last pre-season cuts when the NHL waivers list is like 20-30 guys .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad