Who Are The Worst Playoff Performers Of All Time?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
How bad was the Jets team defence that he was still able to post an .870SP while allowing 5+ goals per game.

They got shelled every game. Colorado averaged over 35 shots a game with Helle in net, and a lot of them were under sustained pressure. There was some crazy stat where they had strung up 4 shots against Helle within a handful of seconds multiple times in the same game. They looked like the Jets team that lost 6 straight right before they went on a win streak to end the season.

Helle had two goals in the first game he could have maybe saved, Nichushkin had a partial breakaway down the wing off a bad turnover while the Jets D were changing that beat him clean with a rocket, and Mack beat him five hole off a shot he'd probably like to save off a pretty harmless looking zone entry where Mack just pulled up and fired it through the dman.

In game two, Miles Wood scored off the faceoff and I don't think Helle saw it coming with two Jets players screening him. The Parise goal where he turned over the puck off of forecheck pressure was pretty bad. I think this game is the one people probably think of the most when criticizing his play in the series.

Game 3 Colorado essentially had 3 PP goals with one of them coming the second the 5on4 technically ended. Nothing but Jets defensive breakdowns and poor discipline in this game.

Game 4 the only goal not off a brutal Jets defensive breakdown in coverage or on the PP was Makar's end to end goal where he beats two or three Jets through the neutral zone and backs the dman into the zone with speed and cleanly beats Hellebuyck from the top of the circle high blocker. Could he have saved it? Maybe, but Makar is one of, if not the best offensive dman in the world. There's no shame in getting beat by him.

Game 5 Jets had an own goal courtesy of Pionk, another where Pionk lets his man walk out from under the goal line and pick up his own rebound, a tip-in, a beautiful passing play on the first goal, and a cross crease 2on1 goal. Can't really fault him directly for any of these goals.

Colorado just outplayed the Jets and there wasn't much he was able to do. People really ought to give them credit where it's due, but as the likely Vezina winner he's just the easiest scapegoat for lazy forum posters to target.

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
My eyes also just wince when I look at Todd Bertuzzi's playoff stats. It hurts. He was on several brilliant teams and did nothing.

Alexei Yashin has such a bad playoff reputation that his name is basically a verb

Anyone know why Woody Dumart's numbers were so bad on the Bruins back in the day? As for an old-timer he might fit the bill here.

Keith Tkachuk only because he barely made it out of the 1st round in his career and despite having plenty of opportunities and a bruising body to help him out he never made an impact over the course of 15 years in the playoffs. Not once.

We pick on Dionne, but if you look at Charlie Simmer and Dave Taylor's playoff stats you can tell Dionne was not getting any help from his linemates either

Why does no one ever mention Alex Mogilny?

Dave Andreychuk captains a Cup in 2014 but it made everyone forget that a guy who seemed built for the playoffs wear and tear was never much of an impact guy that time of year

Dan Cloutier cost his team two playoff years. How do you only make it to the 2nd round in 2003 but lead the playoffs in most goals allowed? That's how you know you had a bad postseason.
Tkachuk in
98-99: 7 games, 6 goals. I'd say that's pretty damn good.
01-02: 10 games--5g, 5a.

Tkachuk's been to the 2nd round 3 times. Also, 15 games in 2000-2001, went to 3rd round--hardly barely getting out of 1st round.

By no means is he a playoff beast, but you are also describing him inaccurately stating that he's never had impact in playoffs. Being 2nd on the team in goals and points while posting point per game is pretty good in the Dead Puck Era, and that team made it to the 2nd round. I'd say that takes care of the "never" statement.

Last edited:

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
sorry, you either lead the series in scoring or you don't. it's fine if there's a tie, particularly if you also win the series. besides, fewer games >>> most goals because it's a flat out higher rate of scoring.

Look Joe, more goals is good enough for the NHL and the art ross. It's good enough to prove you never lead a series in scoring.

• Haha
Reactions: pnep and karltonian

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
3-3 in 6 games. GAA of 3.35 and save percentage of 0.867.

Game log:

bpRHtgG.png
His only game 7 wins were against bumass Toronto

Tells me all I need to know!

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Tkachuk in
98-99: 7 games, 6 goals. I'd say that's pretty damn good.
01-02: 10 games--5g, 5a.

Tkachuk's been to the 2nd round 3 times. Also, 15 games in 2000-2001, went to 3rd round--hardly barely getting out of 1st round.

By no means is he a playoff beast, but you are also describing him inaccurately stating that he's never had impact in playoffs. Being 2nd on the team in goals and points while posting point per game is pretty good in the Dead Puck Era, and that team made it to the 2nd round. I'd say that takes care of the "never" statement.

I think you mean 1997 right? He had 6 goals in 7 games. I agree, not bad at all, except that he had 0 assists. So he had 6 points in 7 games. And this was only against Anaheim. Not Detroit or anything like that. Also, I am only seeing twice where he got out of the 1st round. Both with St. Louis in 2001 (third round) and 2002. He had 9 points in 15 games in 2001 and just 1 assist in 5 games in the third round vs. Colorado. I think if we point to 2002 as being his best year getting 10 points in 10 games then it is safe to say for a player of his quality he definitely choked in the playoffs. That shouldn't be your best postseason. Not for a 500 goal scorer. Because he had 28 goals (56 points) in 89 playoff games. That's not good. And he was involved in so many 6 and 7 game series where a good game makes a big difference in the series.

And his fingerprints are all over blown 3-1 series leads. Against the Nucks in 1992, St. Louis in 1999, Vancouver in 2003. There are some overtime games where he gets a goal at the right time and its over. For some reason he never did this. The Coyotes weren't going to win the Cup in the West, but zero first round wins? Yeah, no.

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
I think you mean 1997 right? He had 6 goals in 7 games. I agree, not bad at all, except that he had 0 assists. So he had 6 points in 7 games. And this was only against Anaheim. Not Detroit or anything like that. Also, I am only seeing twice where he got out of the 1st round. Both with St. Louis in 2001 (third round) and 2002. He had 9 points in 15 games in 2001 and just 1 assist in 5 games in the third round vs. Colorado. I think if we point to 2002 as being his best year getting 10 points in 10 games then it is safe to say for a player of his quality he definitely choked in the playoffs. That shouldn't be your best postseason. Not for a 500 goal scorer. Because he had 28 goals (56 points) in 89 playoff games. That's not good. And he was involved in so many 6 and 7 game series where a good game makes a big difference in the series.

And his fingerprints are all over blown 3-1 series leads. Against the Nucks in 1992, St. Louis in 1999, Vancouver in 2003. There are some overtime games where he gets a goal at the right time and its over. For some reason he never did this. The Coyotes weren't going to win the Cup in the West, but zero first round wins? Yeah, no.
Never made impact? Incorrect. 6 goals in 7 games.
Barely made out of 1st round? 3 times out of the 1st, once out of 2nd.
Facts.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Never made impact? Incorrect. 6 goals in 7 games.
Barely made out of 1st round? 3 times out of the 1st, once out of 2nd.
Facts.

I just don't think 6 points in a 7 game series in an impact. If you never got your team out of the first round despite being in the position to end a series in overtime at home in Game 6 then I am not sure there is impact. I don't know the 3rd year he got out of the 1st round you are talking about. I just see two. Where is this 3rd year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad