Who are the top '88's and '89's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVanek26*

Who are the top players born in 1988 and 1989?It may be pretty far off, but it's nice to get a head start (3 years ;)) on the stars of 2007 and beyond.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah, you're probably going to get the usual "I know a 3 year old who's going to be awesome!" stuff, but it's fair to ask. I personally have no idea as to anyone (although I have heard Angelo Esposito's name mentioned), but I don't think it's so bad that some names get thrown out there that we might want to keep an eye on sometime in the future.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Kessel and Vasy..... (the russian) are 88 born I think should be fairly high on most people's lists. Sheppard and I think there is a Staal that year...I dunno really.

AEKaki

Seachd said:
Yeah, you're probably going to get the usual "I know a 3 year old who's going to be awesome!" stuff, but it's fair to ask. I personally have no idea as to anyone (although I have heard Angelo Esposito's name mentioned), but I don't think it's so bad that some names get thrown out there that we might want to keep an eye on sometime in the future.

"My nephew who was born last september should be a good prospect"

:P

Honestly, I think it's too early to even throw names.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Zack Hamill (88) played regularly as a 15-year-old in Everett's run to the WHL finals, and should put up decent numbers next year. Ben Maxwell of the Kootenay Ice is another good 88.

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
2006 and 2007 prospects

In 2006 some names that have emerged are as follows:

Russia- Alexander Vasyunov, Sergei Belyakov, Igor Makarov
Czech Republic- Michael Frolik (played in the U-18s), David Ruzicka, Ondrej Fiala
Finland- Jesse Joensuu, Oskar Osala
OHL- Matt Corrente, John Hughes, Bobby HUghes, Brian Little, Steve Spade, Cal Clutterbuck
WHL- Zack Hamill, Ben Maxwell, Jonathan Toews
QMJHL- Mathieu Carle, Ben Breault, James Sheppard, Jonathan Bernier
USA- Peter Mueller, Chad Morin, Phil Kessel, Nick Foligno, Blake Geoffrion, Rhett Rakhshani
There were also 2 Slovakian palyers of note who played in the U-17s but I can't seem to find their names at this point.

In 2007:
Angelo Esposito, Michael Biega, Karl Alzner, and also Kerr and Gillies from the WHL Draft.

I hope this helps!

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
2006 draft.

Finland: Jesse Joensuu (-87), Jonas Enlund (-87), Oskar Osala (-87), Robert Nyholm (-88), Teemu Mustaniemi (-87), Teemu Ramsted (-87), Juha-Petteri Purolinna (-88), Tommi Huhtala (-87).

Last edited:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Bryan Little was born late 1987 so he will only become eligible for the 2006
draft.I would think so far he has to be the top Canadian prospect by a long
shot.

TVanek26*

Thanks!

Pretty fascinating that these 14 and 15 year olds are already being recognized to becoming future NHL'ers...

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
DanielBriere48 said:
Who are the top players born in 1988 and 1989?It may be pretty far off, but it's nice to get a head start (3 years ;)) on the stars of 2007 and beyond.

Jon Toews, who had a super season at Shattuck St. Mary, from Canada is a top '88 born player. Toews will play for Tri-City in the WHL.

Zack Hamill, another '88 born, will be watched very closely this coming season and is a dynamic young star from out west. Hamill will play for the Everett Silvertips in the WHL.

Some top '89's from out west will be;

Colton Gillies, already 6'3 at 14 yrs old, could be a force in the years to come. A true power forward, Gillies also has the ability to play the backend.

Ryan Kerr, a 6'1 D-man from Vancouver, is said to be in the mold of a young Eric Brewer.

Brett Leffler, a high scoring centerman from Saskatchewan, should be a future WHL scoring champ.

Tyson Sexsmith, played midget hockey in Alberta at 14 yrs old, should be the next Dan Blackburn. Hopefully the same mistakes aren't made with this kid.

leafaholix*

Brian Volpei, '88 (Shattuck St. Mary's): 61 games, 126 goals, 67 assists, 193 points.

Who's he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad