Who are the best defensive defensemen in the draft??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
:help:
First off,I am not aware or knowledgable of the draft.

Who in your opinion is the best hitter and/or defensive D-man this draft class??
Who has the biggest size of all the D-men this class??

I want to know this because I think the Sabres need a true Defensive D-man.

Thank you in advance.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
JOHNBOY said:
:help:
First off,I am not aware or knowledgable of the draft.

Who in your opinion is the best hitter and/or defensive D-man this draft class??
Who has the biggest size of all the D-men this class??

I want to know this because I think the Sabres need a true Defensive D-man.

Thank you in advance.

Boris Valabik is a 6-7, 212 pound Slovak d-man who plays for Kitchener and has been compared to fellow massive Slovak-who-played-major-junior d-man Zdeno Chara.. If Buffalo is looking for a defensive d-man then I think he's a guy they should look at.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Search for many threads on Boris valabik on this forum.

He is probably the best at what you are looking for and I have seen him go in mockdrafts *everywhere* in the first round from 7th overall and down (sometimes way down in the first round). Around 6 foot 7, sound positioning and mean.

People are really split on him. Do not stop reading at one thread. Look at many threads because some people are really not too hot on him while others really love him.

Everybody seems to agree that there is some upside to him but where people are split is how raw he is and how likely he is to become a solid NHLer.

He played in the OHL for Kitchener and had 15 points in something like 70 games if I remember well. He also had a motherload of PIMs to go with it. Some people liken him to Zdeno Chara. Keep in mind that's pretty much what people are saying of many Ds that are 6'6+

Valabik is from Slovakia like Chara which may again have influenced some folks.

CSS ranks him as the 6th best North American prospect in the draft (meaning 6th best who *played* in North America last year). Since you are not familiar with the draft from what you told me, CSS is a neutral entity whom the NHL assembles to scout for them and their results are then available to all teams (and the public) before the draft.

Hope this helped. Seach the forum for opinions on him. They will vary greatly.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
One last thing. I think Buffalo drafts 13th or something like that. I would say *on average* people expect valabik to be drafted around 14th-16th (again, just an average because he is all across the board from 7 to 27)

So there is a reasonable chance he could still be available for the Sabres when they are up.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
Vlad The Impaler said:
One last thing. I think Buffalo drafts 13th or something like that. I would say *on average* people expect valabik to be drafted around 14th-16th (again, just an average because he is all across the board from 7 to 27)

So there is a reasonable chance he could still be available for the Sabres when they are up.

He sounds great to me!

Is there anything that I should be worried about, if he is drafted by Buffalo?

Thanks.
:yo:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
JOHNBOY said:
He sounds great to me!

Is there anything that I should be worried about, if he is drafted by Buffalo?

Thanks.
:yo:

Well, the obvious worry with Valabik is that he is not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination. He's very raw and due to his size his hockey sense is not polished by any stretch of the imagination. He's not going to jump in and make an impact immediately by any stetch of the imagination. But his upside is really appealing.

gongshow

Jun 9, 2004
etown
Fistric big physical dman 6'3 235 makes punishing hits and can clean away the garbage in front of the net

RANGERDIEHARD

Jul 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Ladislav Smid, Boris Valabik and Mike Green are the three prospects that would fit the profile that you are looking for in the first round. Smid is probably the safest bet while Valabik has the biggest risk yet the greatest upside.

*** I have not seen any of these guys, this is from what I've read.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He's a Dan Focht clone.

He'll struggle to be an average NHL defenseman.

He has the strength, he has the skills, but the guy is as inconsistant as one can get. He's one of those guys 5 star prospects you'd get in Eastside Hockey Manager with a 95 potential and 40 consistancy.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Epsilon said:
Boris Valabik is a 6-7, 212 pound Slovak d-man who plays for Kitchener and has been compared to fellow massive Slovak-who-played-major-junior d-man Zdeno Chara.. If Buffalo is looking for a defensive d-man then I think he's a guy they should look at.

This thread seems to be focusing on Valabik. I will throw another name into the ring: Kirill Lyamin.

Lyamin is not as big (6-3/200), not as mean (nobody is), but is probably a lot more refined and a much safer pick as a solid NHL stay-at-homer. They are interesting contrasts. Valabik needs a lot of work on his skating, decision-making, and coordination in order to fulfill his potential. Lyamin is already much more highly-evolved in his game than Valabik. (According to reports, that is: I haven't seen Lyamin myself).

FWIW, some of the things they say about Lyamin don't sound vastly different than some of what you might have been hearing about Kalinin in 1998.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
This thread seems to be focusing on Valabik. I will throw another name into the ring: Kirill Lyamin.

Lyamin is not as big (6-3/200), not as mean (nobody is), but is probably a lot more refined and a much safer pick as a solid NHL stay-at-homer. They are interesting contrasts. Valabik needs a lot of work on his skating, decision-making, and coordination in order to fulfill his potential. Lyamin is already much more highly-evolved in his game than Valabik. (According to reports, that is: I haven't seen Lyamin myself).

FWIW, some of the things they say about Lyamin don't sound vastly different than some of what you might have been hearing about Kalinin in 1998.

Lyamin is the toughest sob in the draft. Some people compare him to a Darius Kasparaitis.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
markov` said:
Lyamin is the toughest sob in the draft. Some people compare him to a Darius Kasparaitis.

Aha, then! All the better as competition for Valabik! If Lyamin brings that, plus the other descriptions one hears, I'd take him before Valabik.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
Aha, then! All the better as competition for Valabik! If Lyamin brings that, plus the other descriptions one hears, I'd take him before Valabik.

Well, at some point, Valabik is better. I'm thinking higher upside. That's why teams will pick him before Lyamin. Another D who will be picked very high because of his upside is Andrej Meszaros.

RANGERDIEHARD

Jul 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
markov` said:

I heard the same thing about Lyamin - he plays very tough. I got another D-Man that fits this profile - Vorobiev. Team missing out on Valabik may opt to pick this kid up in the second round.

Parrish

Apr 2, 2004
Decatur; Indiana
markov` said:

Yes, I'm very hghh on this kid.I've seen alot of clips and such I have him as my favorite pick for the pens at 31st that is if hes still there hell prolly go in the first.He's actualy underrated looking at where hes projected.I think he'll go about 25th or so.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
In my opinion, Ladislav Smid is probably the safest bet for a defensive defenseman. He's not the physical defenseman that you're looking for, but Smid is very sound in his positioning and uses his stick well to break up plays. He's a very cerebral defenseman as well, which bodes well for him playing well into his late thirties with effectiveness. For a modern day comparison, i'd say he reminds me a lot of Glen Wesley around the time he was scoring quite a bit of points in this league with the Boston Bruins. His game evolved with him instead of against him, and that's the type of defenseman that I think Ladislav Smid could be. He's bigger in stature than Wesley, but he has that same lanky frame that Glen had coming into the league. Also, Smid is very quick on his feet and has a nice first step with acceleration.

The points aren't going to come to Smid in bunches due to the fact that his offensive game is very raw and his instincts aren't as sharp as they need to be yet, but he's going to make his niche as a very sound positional defenseman with a great shot and can be fairly productive on the powerplay. The one concern for me with Ladislav is the fact that he's so hesitant to shoot, and that problem is going to have to be remedied if he's going to play a significant amount of time on the point. Especially considering how effective his shot can be when he's using it right. I've heard talks that Smid has the best point shot of the defenseman in the draft with the possible exception of Barker.

The major area that I see that Smid needs work on is his shot selection. That can be coached though, so that's why I consider him to be a safe prospect. The area of his game that i'm most amazed with is his puck confidence *poise, if posters around here could handle that*. He works great through moderate to heavy traffic and always keeps his wits about him when making the outlet pass and is very deliberate with his passes, which is good for a young defenseman. Often times you see with skilled defenseman the tendancy to overplay the position and force the pace of the game and make ill-advised turnovers and passes that shouldn't have been made. Smid is a lot more poised than his age would suggest, and that is what makes him valuable to a lot of teams that covet safety in a young defenseman. These factors are what lead me to believe that Smid is the most NHL ready defenseman out of the major names that are being thrown around. He won't be prouductive in a sense that he'll score points, but he'll be a solid contributer on defense for his first couple of years until he can establish a comfort level in the NHL. Once that plateau is reached, he will be free to hone his offensive game into an elite level scorer. However, i'm not sure if he'll ever be a 50-60 point defenseman. 30-40 on an annual basis seems to be a more reasonable level of production considering his offensive upside and fantastic defensive zone play.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
parrish11d said:
Yes, I'm very hghh on this kid.I've seen alot of clips and such I have him as my favorite pick for the pens at 31st that is if hes still there hell prolly go in the first.He's actualy underrated looking at where hes projected.I think he'll go about 25th or so.

If hes available and the Caps don't pick him with either of their later 1st round picks, i'm laying siege to the MCI center and taking George McPhees head as a trophy. If you couldn't tell, he's one of my favorite Prospects. He should go top-20.

Lord

Blind Gardien said:

I have seen Lyamin for nearly 10 times and i must agree with you. Reports on him seems to be right. :teach:
Though i never seen Valabik. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad