Who Are Jets Core Players Now and Going Forward?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It's got to be the:
- 19 year old with 41 goals in 71 games
-21 year old with 25 goals in 65 games
-22 year old with 27 goals in 71 games
-25 year old with 21 goals in 50 games

Pretty impressive. Those four account for 114 of the teams 236 goals.

Reactions: GNP

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It's got to be the:
- 19 year old with 41 goals in 71 games
-21 year old with 25 goals in 65 games
-22 year old with 27 goals in 71 games
-25 year old with 21 goals in 50 games

Pretty impressive. Those four account for 114 of the teams 236 goals.
Throw in Trouba and Morrissey, the top two D for 5 on 5 scoring and Hellebuyck. All young. All rock solid.

Boom!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't expect any of the following players to be anywhere but Winnipeg for the next 2-3 years.
Trouba
Scheif
Laine
Morrissey
Helle
KC
Ehlers
Wheeler
Buff
Little
Lowry
Roslo

fill in where you have to after these players.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I'll divide the team in 4 tiers: Long-term core, core for now, hold on if possible and spare parts.

Long-term core:

Scheifele
Laine
Ehlers
Morrisey
Trouba
Hellebuyck

Plus at least for now (until too much decline due to age and/or cap problems):
Byfuglien
Wheeler

Plus hold on to these unless cap problems force otherwise and we can't afford their next contracts:
Armia
Connor
Lowry
Little (he's in this list due to his goddamn NMC)

The others are replaceable. Even Matty P, though I like him a lot.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Schiefele - 1C
Laine - Elite goalscorer
Ehlers - Speed demon 1st line W
Lowry - Middle 6 shutdown C
Trouba - 1RD
Morrissey - 2LD
Hellebuyck - Starter

That should be our concrete core going forward. Connor could be part of it but we shouldn't be afraid of moving him if need be. Roslovic has more to prove before he is in the core but if he can develop into a 2C then he is absolutely part of it. Everyone else is expendable for the ultimate goal.

I'd hate to see him go, because damn - but we'd get a pretty good return for KC, and that's worth something.

That being said, I have a soft spot for the concept of keeping the band together. I really don't want to see him go. I think there's something romantic about building from the ground up and keeping your pieces as much as possible. Love the way we've built our team.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd hate to see him go, because damn - but we'd get a pretty good return for KC, and that's worth something.

That being said, I have a soft spot for the concept of keeping the band together. I really don't want to see him go. I think there's something romantic about building from the ground up and keeping your pieces as much as possible. Love the way we've built our team.

I'd love to keep them all as well but eventually the cap will come calling. Especially if we see some success within the next couple years.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I'd love to keep them all as well but eventually the cap will come calling. Especially if we see some success within the next couple years.

For sure, I'm just a dreamer who prays that these guys will take big discounts to stay together and dominate for a decade. It's totally unlikely, but it is what I want :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Schiefele - 1C
Laine - Elite goalscorer
Ehlers - Speed demon 1st line W
Lowry - Middle 6 shutdown C
Trouba - 1RD
Morrissey - 2LD
Hellebuyck - Starter

That should be our concrete core going forward. Connor could be part of it but we shouldn't be afraid of moving him if need be. Roslovic has more to prove before he is in the core but if he can develop into a 2C then he is absolutely part of it. Everyone else is expendable for the ultimate goal.
Like your list but I would include Connor and Roslovic right now as they represent the exact type of players that can support elite players like Laine and Scheifele to multiple cups. One more young d would turn the trick completely. Someone who has a boat load of offense...Niku maybe? We just may have it all in house already.

I know I'm pushing the boundaries of core but a young cohort like that will win cups as they pass through their primes.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Like your list but I would include Connor and Roslovic right now as they represent the exact type of players that can support elite players like Laine and Scheifele to multiple cups. One more young d would turn the trick completely. Someone who has a boat load of offense...Niku maybe? We just may have it all in house already.

I know I'm pushing the boundaries of core but a young cohort like that will win cups as they pass through their primes.

I agree but eventually I expect them to start really producing and at that point they aren't going to want to be paid like middle 6ers. They will want to be paid like good producers. Unless Chevy manages to completely own the cap but I'm not counting on it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree but eventually I expect them to start really producing and at that point they aren't going to want to be paid like middle 6ers. They will want to be paid like good producers. Unless Chevy manages to completely own the cap but I'm not counting on it.
I'm curious to see how Chevy manages the cap. He has been pretty masterful so far. If he can get Laine at a good number we have a shot. I also think we start bridging RFA's to push big decisions down the line, the exception being Laine. As next contracts are due you move out the older vets as their NMC end. It will be a balancing act but we haven't handcuffed ourselves...yet...as it is inevitable with this much young talent. But we should be able to prop open a contending window for a number of years.

Reactions: Keystone

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm curious to see how Chevy manages the cap. He has been pretty masterful so far. If he can get Laine at a good number we have a shot. I also think we start bridging RFA's to push big decisions down the line, the exception being Laine. As next contracts are due you move out the older vets as their NMC end. It will be a balancing act but we haven't handcuffed ourselves...yet...as it is inevitable with this much young talent. But we should be able to prop open a contending window for a number of years.

It will be interesting but the one wild card is the offersheet. The Jets will have a steady stream of high end RFA's the next few seasons and imo may be vulnerable due to the cap situation. They may want to bridge but other teams may have other ideas.

I would bet that Chevy will want to get a few RFA deals done this summer prior to the draft and FA. My bet his he tries to get Lowry and Morrissey signed by the draft. Leaving Helle and Trouba to go through the arbitration process. I would think he would be ok taking the compensation for an Armia offersheet.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It will be interesting but the one wild card is the offersheet. The Jets will have a steady stream of high end RFA's the next few seasons and imo may be vulnerable due to the cap situation. They may want to bridge but other teams may have other ideas.

I would bet that Chevy will want to get a few RFA deals done this summer prior to the draft and FA. My bet his he tries to get Lowry and Morrissey signed by the draft. Leaving Helle and Trouba to go through the arbitration process. I would think he would be ok taking the compensation for an Armia offersheet.
I don't think they are so tight yet that they couldn't fend off an offersheet. Can't see a team offersheeting Armia as GM's don't make enemies over small fish. Laine would be the one concern but I think they lock him up this summer so an offeresheet never becomes an option.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't think they are so tight yet that they couldn't fend off an offersheet. Can't see a team offersheeting Armia as GM's don't make enemies over small fish. Laine would be the one concern but I think they lock him up this summer so an offeresheet never becomes an option.
We have probably got off track with this thread as Armia is definitely not part of your core. He's just a nice additional piece. Losing or having him does not make or break us.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
You're the one making assumptions now. You may also be blinded by your eagerness to say that I, a Vulcan, used little logic.

I did not directly compare Connor to Hall; you, using poor judgement, assumed that. I simply made a reference to a GM being prone to moving young talent in both Boston and Edmonton and getting little in return.

You're right I did assume. Chiarelli really shit the bed on players like Wheels, Seguin, Hall, Eberle.

For the record, I'm of the opinion that our best bet to keep our talent if to bridge guys like JoMo/Connor/Roslo and ride out some of the vet contracts. It will cost us long term but then we get to select from the best.

I call Lowry a core piece mainly because I think we can get him long term at a reasonable price.
C
Chef
Lowry

Ehlers
Laine

JoMo
Trouba

That's my core for long term deals right now. In no way do I want to loose Connor or roslo but I'm prepared to considering the depth there.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Lowry is the Jets 4th line centre when the lineup is healthy. calling him a core player is kinda ridiculous IMO.

I mean... he's a good player, but also a prime candidate to get overpaid for what he brings and they are chugging along fine without him.

I'd much rather they retain Connor and / or Roslovic over the long term.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Lowry is the Jets 4th line centre when the lineup is healthy. calling him a core player is kinda ridiculous IMO.

I mean... he's a good player, but also a prime candidate to get overpaid for what he brings and they are chugging along fine without him.

I'd much rather they retain Connor and / or Roslovic over the long term.
Lowry is a defensive machine. You put him down and he shuts down any line so the other 3 lines get a defensive mismatch. This allows the Laines of the world operate.

I'd rather Roslo and Connor over Perrault and little but don't see where Lowry and his 3 mil is a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Lowry is a defensive machine. You put him down and he shuts down any line so the other 3 lines get a defensive mismatch. This allows the Laines of the world operate.
The Laine that is currently in this world is doing pretty well without the Lowry buffer.

The Jets have two lines with elite scoring talent, I'd like this to remain the case.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'd rather Roslo and Connor over Perrault and little but don't see where Lowry and his 3 mil is a problem.
I like Lowry, he isn't a problem. I'm just not calling him a core player. Players of his ilk are far easier to replace than scoring talents like Connor. Roslovic has nice offensive upside too - and the defensive acumen to play a similar shut down role.

Core players to me means:
Kane, Toews, Hossa, Seabrook, Kieth
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang

Not Kruger or Carl Hagelin.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The Laine that is currently in this world is doing pretty well without the Lowry buffer.

The Jets have two lines with elite scoring talent, I'd like this to remain the case.
So well that we have won one in the last 3 games?
Right now we have 3 great lines. If we lose Perrault we still have 3 great scoring lines.
Esl
Cl/r/w
R/l/A
T/c/Apple.
You save more money getting rid of Perrault for Connor and Wheeler than if you dump Lowry. Roslo has another year before you have to resign which gives you one year more of little before Roslo needs to resign at 2nd line money so you are fine if you need to bridge.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I like Lowry, he isn't a problem. I'm just not calling him a core player. Players of his ilk are far easier to replace than scoring talents like Connor. Roslovic has nice offensive upside too - and the defensive acumen to play a similar shut down role.

Core players to me means:
Kane, Toews, Hossa, Seabrook, Kieth
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang

Not Kruger or Carl Hagelin.
Anaheim would call kessler a core player and his numbers are very similar to Lowry.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Anaheim would call kessler a core player and his numbers are very similar to Lowry.
Similar....?

Kessler has two 70 point seasons under his belt, five over 50 and 8 over 43.

He has been a very good #2C for most of his career, Lowry is about to be the #4C on the Jets (though I think he's a capable #3).

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I
Similar....?

He has been a very good #2C for most of his career, Lowry is about to be the #4C on the Jets (though I think he's a capable #3.
thought Getzlaf was their second line centre and Perry was the 1st line. I think Lowry is a great 3c and that right now with stas we have the deepest centre group in the league.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I

thought Getzlaf was their second line centre and Perry was the 1st line. I think Lowry is a great 3c and that right now with stas we have the deepest centre group in the league.
Perry is a winger. He's spent years playing on a line with Getzlaf. Keeler was brought in to give them a second line.

I agree with you on the Jets C depth.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Similar....?

He has been a very good #2C for most of his career, Lowry is about to be the #4C on the Jets (though I think he's a capable #3.
I agree he is not core but of the depth players Armia copp I would place a higher premium on Lowry. So for 3.5 mil I'd keep him and move an older guy so I don't really see the issue. Is there such thing as secondary core? There should be as even among the Core someone pointed out that there is a difference in willing to move players. Like if someone offered a Norse winning d in their prime for ehlers I'd make that deal while thinking twice when it comes to chef.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->