Who Are Jets Core Players Now and Going Forward?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wheeler
Scheifele
Lowry
Laine
Ehlers
Morrisey
Trouba
Hellebuyck

Lowry is the most replaceable but I still think he's a rather good player and very useful for his role. Hard to find guys better than him at a decent price.

Little should be traded as soon as possible while he still has some value. I see some massive regression and soon it's going to be very tough to get rid of his contract in no time.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I view “core” as 7 forwards, 3 D and 1 goalie. You fill in around these guys. If you are lucky enough to have ELC’s in your core you can supplement with pricier pieces around the core.

Jets core IMO is:

Schiefele, Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler, Connor, Little, Lowry

Trouba, Morrissey, Byfuglien

Hellebucyk

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Here's my Winnipeg Jets "core" HF version.

mfFkJeU.png

Reactions: Aggie204

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Jeez my definition of core is way different from everyone else's. IMO a core can only be one player from each position.

CORE:

Ehlers-Scheif-Laine

Morrissey-Trouba

Helle

VETERAN PRESENCE:

Matty P-Little-Wheeler

Enstrom-Buff

Mason
You have also created your own category called veteran presence. How does that relate? Are those players still touchables? Are they part of your core, which makes your core a lot bigger than other peoples.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
You have also created your own category called veteran presence. How does that relate? Are those players still touchables? Are they part of your core, which makes your core a lot bigger than other peoples.

There is exactly one untouchable on the Jets. And his name is Mark Scheifele. Its a function of his contract, not his overall level of play.

Veteran Presence is players who are valuable now, but may or may not be resigned, and are under team control for a lesser amount of time.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
There is exactly one untouchable on the Jets. And his name is Mark Scheifele. Its a function of his contract, not his overall level of play.

Veteran Presence is players who are valuable now, but may or may not be resigned, and are under team control for a lesser amount of time.
Interesting I wonder what you would need back for Ehlers or Laine. Connor Mcdavid? Which I don't know how any team can afford him and put together a team no matter how good that one man is.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Observetions, comrade.

It appears some Jets fans are "spoiled" by the amount of scoring talent the Jets have. When Edmonton lets Peter Chiarelli go, maybe he can come to Winnipeg and move out scoring talent like he did in Edmonton so that Lowry can "win the Jets games 1-0."

Actually I'll take this one head on because I'm interested in your take.

You seem to be willing to compare Taylor Hall to Kyle Connor. A 1ao pick who played and produced in the NHL at 18.

You don't take into account quality of teammate nor do you take into account costs or cost control. What's the value of future contracts?

You also are resulting. The fact you are looking at the outcome of the Edmonton trades as opposed to the process. If Hall was traded for an actual 1/2 defenseman instead of Larsson would the trade still be bad? Did Edmonton have room for those contracts? Was it the trades or signing players like Lucic, Kasian the real trouble?

Maybe Edmontons real failure rests on having a crap year from Talbot?

Very little logic used in your post. Just looks like your trying to equate two different situations and didn't bother to actually respond to any of the substance of the arguments.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Observetions, comrade.

It appears some Jets fans are "spoiled" by the amount of scoring talent the Jets have. When Edmonton lets Peter Chiarelli go, maybe he can come to Winnipeg and move out scoring talent like he did in Edmonton so that Lowry can "win the Jets games 1-0."

You seem to be willing to compare Taylor Hall to Kyle Connor. A 1ao pick who played and produced in the NHL at 18.

You don't take into account quality of teammate nor do you take into account costs or cost control. What's the value of future contracts?

You also are resulting. The fact you are looking at the outcome of the Edmonton trades as opposed to the process. If Hall was traded for an actual 1/2 defenseman instead of Larsson would the trade still be bad? Did Edmonton have room for those contracts? Was it the trades or signing players like Lucic, Kasian the real trouble?

Very little logic used in your post. Just looks like your trying to equate to different situations and didn't bother to actually respond to any of the substance of the arguments.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

Very little logic used in your post. Just looks like your trying to equate two different situations and didn't bother to actually respond to any of the substance of the arguments.

You're the one making assumptions now. You may also be blinded by your eagerness to say that I, a Vulcan, used little logic.

I did not directly compare Connor to Hall; you, using poor judgement, assumed that. I simply made a reference to a GM being prone to moving young talent in both Boston and Edmonton and getting little in return.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
To answer the question, right now I think our core (no particular order) is:

Wheeler
Byfuglien
Scheifele
Laine
Morrissey
Hellebuyck

I think this will change in the future (no particular order) to:

Scheifele
Trouba
Morrissey
Laine
Ehlers
Hellebuyck

I think that "the core" carries with it just as much financial consideration within its definition as it does talent - after all without a salary cap there would be no need to think about a team's core, really. I think that the deals we have gotten on the Scheifele and Ehlers contracts might afford us the ability to add a body to the core, and I think between the two of those, Chevy made enough room for Lowry to be considered part of the core. The upcoming Laine contract may eat that up, but I am holding on to hope that Chevy pulls of a miracle there and somehow sells Patrik on keeping the band together.

Reactions: libertarian

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Jeez my definition of core is way different from everyone else's. IMO a core can only be one player from each position.

CORE:

Ehlers-Scheif-Laine

Morrissey-Trouba

Helle

VETERAN PRESENCE:

Matty P-Little-Wheeler

Enstrom-Buff

Mason
Very similar to what I had posted
Good job sir :5:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

CORE:

Ehlers-Scheif-Laine

Morrissey-Trouba

Helle

VETERAN PRESENCE:

Matty P-Little-Wheeler

Enstrom-Buff

Mason

That is a very rigid view of the word 'core'. I don't think it necessarily has to even be one from each position. I don't think it has to mean the same as 'untouchable' either. I think it is more about the type of player that you build around, regardless of position or age.

I also think that the 'core' can change fairly often, fairly quickly. Wheeler is a core player right now. He may not be a year from now. The same goes for Trouba but for different reasons.

I would just add Wheeler and Buff to your core list. Frenchie, Little and Enstrom are important parts of the team. some people might call them core pieces. I don't think I would. Mason is just in the way right now. I hope he can bounce back.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It depends what you mean by core. To me it means players that will be with the Jets the next 5+ years so:
Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Morissey, Helle for sure.

And possibly Trouba, Lowry and Connor depending on what kind of contracts they sign. If Lowry signs a reasonable 2-3 million a year contract then he becomes somebody that you don't trade, but if he wants more then the Jets probably can't afford him

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Core is more about players you retain at all costs.
So for us it’s:

Scheifele
Laine
Hendricks

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Schiefele - 1C
Laine - Elite goalscorer
Ehlers - Speed demon 1st line W
Lowry - Middle 6 shutdown C
Trouba - 1RD
Morrissey - 2LD
Hellebuyck - Starter

That should be our concrete core going forward. Connor could be part of it but we shouldn't be afraid of moving him if need be. Roslovic has more to prove before he is in the core but if he can develop into a 2C then he is absolutely part of it. Everyone else is expendable for the ultimate goal.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
With the Jets now a cap team they will need to follow the Hawks model of having a core group of players with other complimentary players rotating in and out. How many players? I believe Hawks had 7 plus the goalie but that may have been prior to Toews and Kane's big paydays. Who will this core group be?

My preferred list would be:

Wheeler
Scheifele
Lowry
Laine
Ehlers
Morrisey
Trouba
Byfuglien
Hellebuyck

and Connor if possible.

Little is off my list as he seems to be replaceable.

I think that's the consensous but you're also at 50-55m for 9 players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad