Who’ll be the best? Take your chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
As far as Malkin is concerned, I have liked what I have seen of him pretty much every time I have seen him but I guess it wasn't as much as some of the comments I read here...
..I gotta tell you, I can't wait to see more Malkin and I hope he is as good as people make it sound here but I haven't seen it. By "it" I mean I haven't seen the special dominance people refer to sometimes, and some comments and names like "Mario" pop up that I have to disagree with.
i think when people compare malkin to mario they are just comparing skating styles; malkin moves around the ice very similarly to a young mario. i haven't seen anyone say malkin will be as good as mario.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
A little ??'d at the defensive Ovechkin comments seeing as that he's outscored Kovy and Malkin almost regularly.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
EroCaps said:
A little ??'d at the defensive Ovechkin comments seeing as that he's outscored Kovy and Malkin almost regularly.

Yeah, particularly the "less offensive version of Malkin" comment.

That's backwards, yo!

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
EroCaps said:

When else has Ovechkin outscored Kovalchuk other than this last WC's?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Lehtonen32 said:
When else has Ovechkin outscored Kovalchuk other than this last WC's?

He scored at the same clip during the RSL season, though he was injured. When else has he really had the opportunity? That comment was weighted more towards Malkin.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
EroCaps said:
He scored at the same clip during the RSL season, though he was injured. When else has he really had the opportunity? That comment was weighted more towards Malkin.

That makes sense then. :)

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
Kovalchuk is being underrated, like he usually is in these type of threads.

This is a post from the Thrashers board a year ago:

ALL TIME NHL GOAL LEADERS (Up to 21 year old)

Player Name --- GOALS
----------------------------------
1 - Gretzky Wayne -- 198
2 - Carson Jimmy -- 141
3 - Hawerchuk Dale -- 122
4 - Turgeon Sylvain -- 116
5 - Kovalchuk Ilya -- 106 (39)
6 - Bellows Brian -- 102

7 - Jagr Jaromir -- 93
7 - Simpson Craig -- 93
9 - Carpenter Bobby -- 92
10 - Lemieux Mario -- 91
11 - Turgeon Pierre -- 88
12 - Messier Mark -- 85
12 - Lindros Eric -- 85
14 - Linden Trevor -- 84
14 - Larouche Pierre -- 84
16 - Yzerman Steve -- 83
17 - Nolan Owen -- 81
18 -Francis Ron -- 79
19 - Gaborik Marian -- 78
20 - Roenick Jeremy -- 76
21 - Brown Rob -- 73
22 - Clark Wendel -- 71
23 - Hull Bobby -- 70

If to use "Adjusted Goals" (see "Total Hockey")

Player Name -- GAMES -- Adj. Goals
----------------------------------------------
1 - Gretzky Wayne -- 239 -- 159
2 - Kovalchuk Ilya -- 225 (79) -- 123 (~44)
3 - Carson Jimmy -- 240 -- 121
4 - Jackson Busher -- 122 -- 100

5 - Hawerchuk Dale -- 239 -- 99
6 - Turgeon Sylvain -- 216 -- 94
7 - Gaborik Marian -- 230 -- 90
8 - Hull Bobby -- 210 -- 85
9 - Bellows Brian -- 234 -- 83
9 - Jagr Jaromir -- 231 -- 83
11 - Simpson Craig -- 228 -- 79
12 - Lindros Eric -- 126 -- 75
12 - Turgeon Pierre -- 236 -- 75
12 - Carpenter Bobby -- 240 -- 75
15 - Lemieux Mario -- 152 -- 74
15 - Linden Trevor -- 233 -- 74
17 - Larouche Pierre -- 155 -- 73
18 - Friesen Jeff -- 209 -- 71
18 - Nolan Owen -- 207 -- 71

Using adjusted goals, which adjusts goals scored to the average goals scored in the league (which adjusts performance nicely for different eras, etc), Kovalchuk has had the 2nd best scoring start to a career in NHL history. Only Gretzky did better.

I really doubt Ovechkin, Malkin or Nash will match that start. Crosby could. Here is how I rank the 6:

1. Crosby
2. Lehtonen (he is going to redefine the goalie position)
3. Kovalchuk
4. Ovechkin
5. Nash
6. Malkin

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
FacelessButcher said:
1. Nash- Potential to be the best PF ever. Still needs to work on his defensive game, should come with age.
2. Ovechkin- Better version of Jarome Iginla with a bigger mean streak.
3. Lehtonen- As good as Luongo if not better.
4. Crosby- Defintely don't think he's the next one more of the Yzerman/Sakic level
5. Kovalchuk- Most offensively talented player on the list but bad defensive game and unlike Nash I don't believe he has the will or desire to improve it. Needs to be paired with a good coach to get the most out of him, doesn't appear as much of a team player.
6. Malkin- Russian equivalent of Spezza doesn't belong with the rest, don't believe he has HOF potential.
FB, I don't know about that Ovechkin comment, meaner than Jarome? Iginla seems like a nice guy, but on the ice he's downright nasty, I'm not sure Ovechkin would drop the gloves in every round of the playoffs personally.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Taxman said:
If to use "Adjusted Goals" (see "Total Hockey")

Player Name -- GAMES -- Adj. Goals
----------------------------------------------
1 - Gretzky Wayne -- 239 -- 159
2 - Kovalchuk Ilya -- 225 (79) -- 123 (~44)
3 - Carson Jimmy -- 240 -- 121
4 - Jackson Busher -- 122 -- 100

Man, Busher Jackson is really underrated all time IMO.

Here's how I'd rank them....

1. Crosby - Just a ridiculous player, not much more can be said, I like the Dionne comparisons, maybe a more offensive Keon?
2. Lehtonen - I am really impressed by Kari, I can't really compare him to anyone, his style is just exsquisite IMO, maybe Bernie Parent? Tough to say, if he gets that good I'd be very happy.
3. Nash - Superb goal scorer, he should have some good duels with Kovalchuk for years to come, they actually remind me a lot of each other when you watch them skate, Kovy just likes to have the puck more, whereas Nash would rather Bossy it up and just appear and score.
4. Ovechkin - I have a tough time ranking Alex behind Nash, but thats probably just my bias toward unproven prospects coming through, AO should be a dominant wing for years to come, maybe Geoffrion like? I've only seen random old footage of Bernie, but they seem similar, and I could see AO behind underrated like Boom Boom.
5. Kovalchuk - Tough to rank him behind AO, but I think AO will be just a touch better in the end, Kovy is a brilliant player though, I don't know about the Richard comparisons, he's not on that level of desire yet IMO.
6. Malkin - I haven't seen much of, but I think there are guys I would put above him here, perhaps its Canadian bias though, reminds me of Andre Lacroix for some reason.

Last edited:

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Taxman said:
Kovalchuk is being underrated, like he usually is in these type of threads.

I wouldn't say he normally gets underrated in these threads.. Up until the WC he'd pretty consistently win in any polls etc. against the likes of Ovechkin and Nash. You could look back less than a month ago and have to go through 3-4 pages of lists in a thread before you'd find one where Kovalchuk was below Nash (and even then it would only be a CBJ fan).

But now... :amazed:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
I thought it was time to show the results of this old thread.
Here is the way I have assigned points for each ranking submitted:
1st-6pts
2nd-5pts
3rd-4pts
4th-3pts
5th-2pts
6th-1pt

Unfortunately some posters provided lists with less than 6 names:
Color@do @v@l@nche, Kaizer, Wilka91, moster_bertuzzi, x-bob.
Even in the cases with 5 players, i could not know if that meant the odd man out was to be placed at #6 or if he just went forgotten, so I decided to not count those rankings.

As for the rankings containing ties (despite I forbade them in the thread starter) and adding more players to the mix i did it this way:

Example #1:
1a) Crosby, Nash ---> 4pts
1b) Kovalchuk, Ovechkin ---> 3pts
1c) Malkin ---> 2pts
6) Lehtonen ---> 1pt

Example #2:
Crosby ---> 5pts

Nash, Kovalchuk ---> 4pts
Lehtonen ---> 3pts

Kessel
Ovechkin ---> 2pts
Malkin ---> 1pt

I have checked the results until 2 consecutive countings brought the same total, so hopefully they are correct.

-Here is the consequent HFboards ranking so far: -

Sidney CROSBY = 152pts
Rick NASH and Ilya KOVALCHUK = 128pts
Alexander OVECHKIN = 121pts
Kari LEHTONEN = 96pts
Evgenyi MALKIN = 81pts

For everyone interested in adding new rankings, please check you didn’t submit yours already!
On the contrary, Color@do @v@l@nche,Kaizer,Wilka91,moster_bertuzzi and x-bob could post their complete lists (all the six players ranked) to make their rankings count.
I will update the classification in the eventuality more new lists will appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->