Who´s better and more hyped? the franchise player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Behind Enemy Lines said:
We all have the benefit of hindsight with Eric Lindros. However Lindros at 18 was an absolute elite player who could do it all - score, hit, fight. His size and strength were beyond anyone in junior and near the top for NHL players.

I first saw Lindros live at the World Juniors in Saskatoon and limited viewing when he dominated physically in Canada Cup play as a 19 year old. He knocked two players out of that tournament with lethal body checks. He showed the skill and ability to play with the world's best .. at 19. Hall of fame potential derailed by injury and likely personality.

I really like Crosby even more since watching him being mauled at the Canadian Junior Summer Camp. He stood up to Phaneuf and several big d-men who tried to dole out a little extra to the 'next one.' Crosby has that special Gretzky-Lemieux vision and passing skills, and an extra gear with his skating ability. He has excelled in all leagues and is a special player but I am still a wee bit curious to see how Sydney adapts to facing off against big league defenders like Stevens, Pronger, and the like.

Given my druthers if I were to choose between these two players as 18 year olds, I would have to go with Lindros.

Well said.

Crosby has tons of potential and may turn into a superstar, but at the same age and stage I liked Eric even more.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
kingpest19 said:
for arguments sake lets go off their 2nd seasons in juniors. at the end of lindros 2nd year of junior he had 71 g 78 149pts in 57 games. Crosby hasnt finished his 2nd year of juniors but to match that hed have to score 81 pts in 25 games. thats almost a 4 pt a game pace. As good as Crosby is i dont see him going on a rampage point wise like that even in the Q. So to say that lindros skill wise wasnt on the same level is ignorant. Crosby is a great young player but hard as it may seem to believe chances are he wont live up to the hype and pressure surrounding him

1. At Sid's present age Eric had played 25 games in juniors and had 17 goals and 19 assists in 25 games in a much higher scoring league than the present Q.

2. On many of those goals and assists he used his considerably above average height and weight and power as well as his considerably above average skills and hockey smarts.

To say Crosby isn't ahead of Lindros skill wise isn't necessarily ignorant, but...

I have no problem with someone picking Eric's total package at Sid's age over Sid. Take your pick. But Sid's skills are as obviously above Eric's at the same age as Eric's size is over Sid's.... and Eric was a monster.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think you can break this down to sheer points.

Crosby wins that contest every time.

But complete package, Lindros could do it all. Injuries and probably a bit of a head case derailed what could've been one of the better players to play in the last 10-20 years easily. Was he as talented as Mario and the Great One? Probably not on a pure skill, scoring basis, but the sheer physicality he showed easily outmatched the other two. Had he stayed healthy he was a game changer.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
People really have forgot what kind of player Lindros was pre-injuries. He was heads and shoulders above everybody else in the NHL, he could do it all. Score, make plays, skate, stickhandle, pulverize people with thundering checks, fight with the best of them, defend, hell even his leadershipskills are underrated.

IMHO without his injuries he would have been the a top3 hockey player all time.

Those and his stupid father-agent really give him a bad name and make people underrate him as a hockey player.

So to answer the question, it's Lindros and with a healthy margin.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
World Championships

Couldn't Crosby play in the World Championships in the next few years like Ovechkin did last year?

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Pepper said:
People really have forgot what kind of player Lindros was pre-injuries. He was heads and shoulders above everybody else in the NHL, he could do it all. Score, make plays, skate, stickhandle, pulverize people with thundering checks, fight with the best of them, defend, hell even his leadershipskills are underrated.

IMHO without his injuries he would have been the a top3 hockey player all time.

Those and his stupid father-agent really give him a bad name and make people underrate him as a hockey player.

So to answer the question, it's Lindros and with a healthy margin.

Not sure about his leadership skils, but the rest of this sums it up for me nicely.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Chimaera said:
I don't think you can break this down to sheer points.

Crosby wins that contest every time.

But complete package, Lindros could do it all. Injuries and probably a bit of a head case derailed what could've been one of the better players to play in the last 10-20 years easily. Was he as talented as Mario and the Great One? Probably not on a pure skill, scoring basis, but the sheer physicality he showed easily outmatched the other two. Had he stayed healthy he was a game changer.

How so? Lindros, at least before his injuries was always one of the top scoring players in whatever league he played in. Crosby does NOT win that "contest" every time.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Rabid Ranger said:
How so? Lindros, at least before his injuries was always one of the top scoring players in whatever league he played in. Crosby does NOT win that "contest" every time.

No, in Juniors is what I was referring to.

At least as far as points goes. Lindros had one real good year with 149. But Crosby should eclipse that one or at least come close. With 135 last year, he's going to have higher point totals in Juniors.

The year before that Lindros played just 29 games.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Chimaera said:

At least as far as points goes. Lindros had one real good year with 149. But Crosby should eclipse that one or at least come close. With 135 last year, he's going to have higher point totals in Juniors.

Crosby won't be getting 149 points this year so guess again.

And Crosby will find out that 5'10 players will have much, much harder time in the NHL when your average d-man is 6'3 and looking to crush you the moment you look at your feet.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
kingpest19 said:
for arguments sake lets go off their 2nd seasons in juniors. at the end of lindros 2nd year of junior he had 71 g 78 149pts in 57 games. Crosby hasnt finished his 2nd year of juniors but to match that hed have to score 81 pts in 25 games. thats almost a 4 pt a game pace. As good as Crosby is i dont see him going on a rampage point wise like that even in the Q. So to say that lindros skill wise wasnt on the same level is ignorant. Crosby is a great young player but hard as it may seem to believe chances are he wont live up to the hype and pressure surrounding him

That was 10 years ago, todays hockey is totally different as defence is more stressed. What was the goals per game average 10 years ago to now .... i'm guessing 1-1.5 goals more per game back then.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Two words people, Simon Gamache. 184 points in the Q.

You can't really compare Lindros' OHL points to Crosby's QJMHL points.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Chimaera said:

ok, then crosby vs. brad richards, richards "wins every time".

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=35725
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=73288

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
JohnGalt said:
It sounds like Crosby thinks the game well.

That's an understatement. He plays at a totally different mental speed than the rest of his teammates. His vision and hockey sense are freaky. He also can skate and dangle a bit.

Before Lindross' injuries I thought he would be the guy to make hockey popular in the States. He was big, he was strong, he was good-looking (and I say that in the most heterosexual way possible), he played for a big city American team, he could score and he could fight. I really thought he was going to be an immense star who would cross over to pop culture. It sucks that he got all those concussions.

Hopefully the same doesn't happen to Crosby. I'd hate to see his career derailed by some idiot who goes for his knee.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Pepper said:
Crosby won't be getting 149 points this year so guess again.

And Crosby will find out that 5'10 players will have much, much harder time in the NHL when your average d-man is 6'3 and looking to crush you the moment you look at your feet.

This is my biggest hesitation when it comes to putting alotta faith in Crosby fufilling anything close to what his skills should turn him into. I just don't see him staying healthy at that size in the NHL. He's gonna have a HUGE bullseye on his back from all this "next one" BS and he's gonna go to a very thinly talented team thats not gonna have the players to draw defenders off him like St Louis does in Tampa. Maybe I'm just too skeptical a person, but I really think this kid is gonna have some problems at the NHL level.....of course if the idiot refs wold crack down on obstruction like they promise to every year it would certainly help his cause.

BTW, I'd take Lindros (in case my previous statement didn't make that clear enough)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->