WHL vs. Russian Select

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Just got back from the game, 4-1 WHL. Pretty much what I expected based on watching them play the Q, the Russians were badly outmatched but the goalie kept them in it. A few observations:

Brent Seabrook - starting to remind me a lot of Scott Hannan when he was a junior - not spectacular, he just does a lot of things very well and very few things badly.

Shawn Belle - this guy was a first-round pick? He looked badly out of place tonight; most of the best Russian chances came with him and Mike Egener on the ice. Redeemed himself a little later in the game by stopping a partial breakaway, but overall I wasn't impressed.

Josh Gorges - I think this guy is going to be on those "undrafted guys who made the NHL" lists in a few years. Very steady, made a couple of mental errors but nothing serious, and contributed offensively.

Dion Phaneuf - had an Ed Jovanovski game: lots of high-risk/high-reward passes, some of which didn't work too well. I've seen him play better.

Jeremy Williams - a lot of fun to watch in the offensive zone. He's having a great year, too; the Leafs might have themselves a 7th-round steal here.

Nigel Dawes - third time I've seen him this year, and it's been the same story each time: he doesn't do anything obviously spectacular, but offensive chances just seem to happen when his line is out there.

Cam Ward - didn't get much of a workout, but I've seen him a few times now and still haven't seen much evidence to justify his elite status. So I'm starting to wonder.

Konstantin Barullin - Wow. Kept the Russians in the game for two periods. His concentration is amazing - he was handling screened shots and deflections as well as most NHL goalies do. Pretty good with the glove, too. Had some problems controlling rebounds, didn't handle the puck that well, and seemed to give up a little in the third - Gorges' goal was a soft one. But if the Blues can get him to polish those parts of his game, he might be a good one.

One final thing: at what point are the Russians going to clue in that they need to bring some physical guys on a tour like this? They got pushed all over the place tonight and didn't do a thing about it. There must be a few 17-year-old Andrei Nazarovs over there, why not bring one or two along and fight back a little?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lard_Lad said:
Just got back from the game, 4-1 WHL. Pretty much what I expected based on watching them play the Q, the Russians were badly outmatched but the goalie kept them in it. A few observations:

Jeremy Williams - a lot of fun to watch in the offensive zone. He's having a great year, too; the Leafs might have themselves a 7th-round steal here.

I have to agree there ... I hope WJC representitives are watching and he gets an invite to the selection camp.. Heck they could put that line of Willaims...Getzlaf and Redenbach right on Team Canada as far as I am concerned...

Last edited:

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Lard_Lad said:
Just got back from the game, 4-1 WHL. Pretty much what I expected based on watching them play the Q, the Russians were badly outmatched but the goalie kept them in it....
Konstantin Barullin - Wow. Kept the Russians in the game for two periods...
One final thing: at what point are the Russians going to clue in that they need to bring some physical guys on a tour like this? They got pushed all over the place tonight and didn't do a thing about it....

Excellent game report!

Did you happen to notice how #29, Vladisav Evseev played? He's a Bruins prospect.

By the way, here's a news clip on the game:
http://www.canoe.ca/CPSportsTicker/CANOE-wire.HKY-Rus-WHL.html

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Lard_Lad said:

Brent Seabrook - starting to remind me a lot of Scott Hannan when he was a junior - not spectacular, he just does a lot of things very well and very few things badly.

Shawn Belle - this guy was a first-round pick? He looked badly out of place tonight; most of the best Russian chances came with him and Mike Egener on the ice. Redeemed himself a little later in the game by stopping a partial breakaway, but overall I wasn't impressed.

Josh Gorges - I think this guy is going to be on those "undrafted guys who made the NHL" lists in a few years. Very steady, made a couple of mental errors but nothing serious, and contributed offensively.

Dion Phaneuf - had an Ed Jovanovski game: lots of high-risk/high-reward passes, some of which didn't work too well. I've seen him play better.

Nigel Dawes - third time I've seen him this year, and it's been the same story each time: he doesn't do anything obviously spectacular, but offensive chances just seem to happen when his line is out there.

Cam Ward - didn't get much of a workout, but I've seen him a few times now and still haven't seen much evidence to justify his elite status. So I'm starting to wonder.

Konstantin Barullin - Wow. Kept the Russians in the game for two periods. His concentration is amazing - he was handling screened shots and deflections as well as most NHL goalies do. Pretty good with the glove, too. Had some problems controlling rebounds, didn't handle the puck that well, and seemed to give up a little in the third - Gorges' goal was a soft one. But if the Blues can get him to polish those parts of his game, he might be a good one.

One final thing: at what point are the Russians going to clue in that they need to bring some physical guys on a tour like this? They got pushed all over the place tonight and didn't do a thing about it. There must be a few 17-year-old Andrei Nazarovs over there, why not bring one or two along and fight back a little?

I thought SEABROOK played really well........got puck out of his zone quickly either by great rushes or crisp head-man passes...threw several good hits...he also had several hard on target blasts from the point,and kept control in the offensive zone with moves into position with it then again good passes to meam-mates for attacking chances on goal...he looks a lot faster this year--either he dropped pounds or toned fat off...
he was focused and positionally played well ...in all I like him better than Phaneuf or Coburn --they don't have his skill offensively --and he has the tools to be just as good as them if not better defensively IF he stays focused and learns to make the right positioning decisions --that
has been the issue with him in the past 2 years the few times I have seen himplay --but last night he was focused,made good decisions,was good positionally ......only 1 time was he left behind on a pinch--actually it really was not his fault nor a real pinch --he was playing the right point on a PP and there was a sloppy intercepted pass over to him by the LD-man at the other point ..so he had to hustle back to help break-up the transition break back up the ice...in any case SCOTT HANNAN does not have SEABROOK's offensive talent --so I think it is a bad analogy...SEABROOK does lots of things well --it is only a matter of his head staying in the game and making the right decisions --he has all the other tools you seek in a potential #1 pairing D-man .........his lousy +/- on Lethbridge this season probably only means that 1 guy just can't do it all himself...when SEABROOK has played on Canada's U-17,U-18 teams and grouped with an all-star WHL squad as in the is RE-Max Challenge series,his talent has been up to its potential .......the other
issue with him last year was a concern of not being in the best shape--clearly off last night ,he must have taken care of that this year--because he was flying out there --great mobility on those rushes...
He still has much to learn and improve--but you can see the talent is there...

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
misterjaggers said:
Did you happen to notice how #29, Vladisav Evseev played? He's a Bruins prospect.

Didn't notice him, or any other Russian forwards, much. Their approach to breakouts wasn't very creative, mainly long-bomb passes from inside their own blue line to a guy floating near the far one (no 2-line passing rule.) It didn't work very often - their only goal was one of the exceptions - so the forwards didn't have much of a chance to show off.

misterjaggers said:
in any case SCOTT HANNAN does not have SEABROOK's offensive talent --so I think it is a bad analogy

I should've clarified what I meant by the Hannan comparison - he was one of the best junior defencemen I've ever seen, and I expected more offense from him as a pro (he had nearly a point-a-game in his last WHL season.) I definitely expect Seabrook to put up better numbers in the NHL. Of course, the Hawks somehow screwed up Steve McCarthy, so who knows...

Last edited:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Lard_Lad said:

Too bad you werent impressed cuz i was. This guy has better skating than J bowmeester and im not exagerating, the guy is flying on the ice ala Paul Coffey. Hes gonna make the team and will do damages on the bigger ice surface. As for his defensive play it wasnt that bad he'll get better with time.

Dr_Chimera*

Lard_Lad said:

Yeah - they are playing in the superleague and there's no way the teams will release them.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:
...in all I like him better than Phaneuf or Coburn --they don't have his skill offensively --and he has the tools to be just as good as them if not better defensively IF he stays focused and learns to make the right positioning decisions --that
has been the issue with him in the past 2 years the few times I have seen himplay --
I'm not being argumentive....I just honestly don't watch alot of WHL hockey, but is this true?
Phaneuf seems to be having such a strong year, offensively and defensively, does Seabrook have the better upside?

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Mike Green Looked Great

I thought Mike Green looked fantastic out there last night. He not only knows when to pinch in and when to stay back but he never really finds himself out of position and layed a couple of huge hits out there. The funny thing is that nobody ever talks about him but he has been through the whole program of excellance and continues to develope into a great all around defenseman. This year in junior with a very bad team, Green has 6-14-20 in 22 games and is a +2 on a team that has given up 35 more goals than they've scored this year! Mike Green just turned 18 making him a 2004 draft eligable player instead of a 03 player. In my opinion and in many others opinions. he is right up there with Belle and Coburn. He has played with these players at the Under 17, Under18 and 8 nations already and should be given a invite to the Under20(world juniors)!

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
looooob said:
I'm not being argumentive....I just honestly don't watch alot of WHL hockey, but is this true?
Phaneuf seems to be having such a strong year, offensively and defensively, does Seabrook have the better upside?

Gotta question who this is coming from. Obviously as a Hawks prospect fan he's going to be somewhat biased. I haven't heard anybody else outside of this poster suggest that Seabrooke is ahead of Phaneuf.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Gotta question who this is coming from. Obviously as a Hawks prospect fan he's going to be somewhat biased. I haven't heard anybody else outside of this poster suggest that Seabrooke is ahead of Phaneuf.
agreed, but then again we're both Flames fans! :)
I'm just looking for someone to back us up! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad