WHL preliminary Top 10 prospects for 2007 Entry Draft

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I dont understand how Blum, Hickey, and Sutter aren't in the top 10. Explanation?

I share your confusion. Not so much about Hickey, but definitely about Blum and Sutter, and Moller, Ross, Valach, Negrin, etc. as well. I don't think Spencer Machacek's mother would have him in the top 10 WHL guys right now.

:confused:

patsfan29

Jul 30, 2006
Regina
I share your confusion. Not so much about Hickey, but definitely about Blum and Sutter, and Moller, Ross, Valach, Negrin, etc. as well. I don't think Spencer Machacek's mother would have him in the top 10 WHL guys right now.

:confused:

Ross's game has slipped in the past few months and its shown in his rankings..his physical play has pretty much disappeared, hasn't hit much of anything since K.O.ing Negrin ....and the kid's due for a goal. IMO, his play has definately slacked, i wouldn't be suprised if he had to sit a couple games again, but at the moment the Pats are short on the blueline......he'll show a spark once in a couple of shifts... but i really hope he picks it up, the kid has got so much potential, definately one of the more entertaining guys to watch on the ice

and I believe Negrin only suited up again recently ..he was out for quite a while with post concussion symptoms, may have affected his rankings

Last edited:

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
Im no WHL expert, but from what I had read here and there I thought Darren Helm would be mentioned somewhere? Is that a reasonable expectation? I saw him play once this season in the Hat and he looked good. Hes almost a point per game, even with Brandon Sutter.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Im no WHL expert, but from what I had read here and there I thought Darren Helm would be mentioned somewhere? Is that a reasonable expectation? I saw him play once this season in the Hat and he looked good. Hes almost a point per game, even with Brandon Sutter.

Helm has already been drafted by the Red Wings

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Negrin has been hurt almost the entire year and has returned slowly.

Blum is having a very good year but he plays in probably the best d crop in the CHL he is very steady and above average offensivily, its just when you play with the likes of Franson, Mikkelson and Festerling sometimes people don't notice you as much

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Negrin has been hurt almost the entire year and has returned slowly.

Blum is having a very good year but he plays in probably the best d crop in the CHL he is very steady and above average offensivily, its just when you play with the likes of Franson, Mikkelson and Festerling sometimes people don't notice you as much

Blum is a stud - part of a team from So. Cal. that is developing a ton of talent, including the likes of Mitch Wahl, and numerous other WHLers - I think Blum is a great defenseman.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
The talent pool in the WHL is significantly deeper this season, which suggests the number of drafted players should increase dramatically.

Read full article...

Thanks for all your feedback! Glad we've got folks on the 'HF Boards' with some smarts. :)

I think one of the realities to bear in mind here is that there are about 25 guys who could be in a "Top 10". Initially, I wasn't going to include the "Other Notables..." portion. Glad I included all the guys I did, and perhaps missed a couple others?

A few thoughts...

Negrin...The injury was a factor, but look for him to have a great second half. Coincidentally, the concussion was courtesy of his Team Canada U18 teammate Nick Ross.
Hickey...Yes, he is very good. A little under-sized but a smart guy with high-end offensive skills. A great complement in Seattle playing alongside Scott Jackson. Wouldn't be out of place among the Top 10 listed players. (Check our features on both players...Hickey (November Archives) & Jackson is on the HF homepage right now.)
Sutter...A certainty to be drafted, but was pretty ordinary (actually, quite tentative) among the crop of players on Team WHL in the ADT.
Blum...Damn good. His best is yet to come. The 'poster' who mentioned his presence in Vancouver behind a group of high-end veterans is correct. It's tough for him to look as good as he is. But, as silly as this might sound, we'd really notice if he wasn't there. So would the Giants.
Macacek...Was good in the ADT and a higher prospect because he's got the automatic Mem. Cup in his future. He'll get a longer look because of it.
Clark...Another guy with great size who is benefitting from veterans like Burki, Derlago and Simek in Brandon. Probably could have been higher.

Keep the ideas coming gang. Enjoy the holiday season...:xcheers:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thanks for all your feedback! Glad we've got folks on the 'HF Boards' with some smarts. :)

I think one of the realities to bear in mind here is that there are about 25 guys who could be in a "Top 10". Initially, I wasn't going to include the "Other Notables..." portion. Glad I included all the guys I did, and perhaps missed a couple others?

A few thoughts...

Negrin...The injury was a factor, but look for him to have a great second half. Coincidentally, the concussion was courtesy of his Team Canada U18 teammate Nick Ross.
Hickey...Yes, he is very good. A little under-sized but a smart guy with high-end offensive skills. A great complement in Seattle playing alongside Scott Jackson. Wouldn't be out of place among the Top 10 listed players. (Check our features on both players...Hickey (November Archives) & Jackson is on the HF homepage right now.)
Sutter...A certainty to be drafted, but was pretty ordinary (actually, quite tentative) among the crop of players on Team WHL in the ADT.
Blum...Damn good. His best is yet to come. The 'poster' who mentioned his presence in Vancouver behind a group of high-end veterans is correct. It's tough for him to look as good as he is. But, as silly as this might sound, we'd really notice if he wasn't there. So would the Giants.
Macacek...Was good in the ADT and a higher prospect because he's got the automatic Mem. Cup in his future. He'll get a longer look because of it.
Clark...Another guy with great size who is benefitting from veterans like Burki, Derlago and Simek in Brandon. Probably could have been higher.

Keep the ideas coming gang. Enjoy the holiday season...:xcheers:

So let me get this straihgt Machacek is in the top 10 because he will be in the Mem cup and will get longer looks? Something doesnt add up there. Spencer's a good kid, but far from one of the top 10 the WHL has to offer in this draft. Hell, the kid was playing Alberta juniour hockey 2 years ago.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I liked the article and I'm glad to see Clark mentioned. However, he is not blessed with great size, 5'10" tops and 180lbs at best. He has decent hands and does skate well though and his most important attribute is his work ethic....

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
It is almost a sure thing that Sutter will improve and move up the rankings a bit as the season wears on, his icetime and special teams play will be as much as he can handle, he just has to make the most of it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->