WHL Playoffs Offer Plenty of Parity

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Time permitting, I'll weigh in with my playoff predictions next week before the puck drops on the first round, but who do you guys (and gals) see coming out on top this year?

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
The west looks to be a war while the east is much more of a scramble.

I'd be curious to compile the actual stats, but my gut tells me that Regina, Medicine Hat, and Lethbridge have stacked up more points against weaker teams than the powerhouse west.

Calgary/Saskatoon, Brandon, Red Deer, and even Swift Current aren't that great and don't look like contenders. Basically the top-4 teams should have relatively easy first-round series, compared to the west.

Compare the central to either of the west divisions - it's not a huge advantage for Medicine Hat or Lethbridge to finish first as they'll play Red Deer/Calgary/Saskatoon in the first round. The only real advantage there is home-ice for the later rounds. Whereas in the west, the difference between playing Kamloops and Victoria/Tri-City is much more pronounced.

Right now, I like Seattle out of the west and Medicine Hat out of the east.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
The West is anybodys to take. P.G., Kamloops and Kelowna are all teams that could make an impact, and Victoria has Griffen Outhouse in net who I could see stealing a series or two. Then there are Everett and Seattle in the U.S. division, who are both playing some of the best hockey we've seen all year.

The West is a war.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
As a Giants fan right now, "parity" looks like nothing more than "there are a lot of teams out there that can blow your doors off without really trying." :laugh:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Hey, your Giants did beat Victoria last night. Glass half full! That team could be decent if Benson is back and healthy next season. Bowen Byram was sure impressive here in Kelowna despite another lopsided loss on the weekend. He's going to be a stud.

I agree that the West is a war. I think that Moose Jaw-Swift Current series could be a war too. I think it goes a minimum of six games. Whoever gets Brandon, be it Medicine Hat or Regina, will have a fairly tough out too. I don't think Brandon gets swept. Red Deer and Calgary maybe.

Everett played its game to perfection tonight in Kelowna and special teams proved to be the difference. Fun times ahead!

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Anyone can come out of the West. Should be entertaining.

East boils down to 2-3 teams barring a major upset.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Time permitting, I'll weigh in with my playoff predictions next week before the puck drops on the first round, but who do you guys (and gals) see coming out on top this year?

Predictions

Round 1

Eastern Conference

Lethbridge over Rebels in 6
Regina over Calgary in 4
Moose Jaw over Swift Current in 7
Medicine Hat over Brandon in 5

Western Conference

Everett over Victoria in 5
Prince George over Tri-City in 5
Kamloops over Kelowna in 7
Seattle over Portland in 7