WHL Playoff Predictions: First Round Favours Higher Seeds

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Goaltending yes, experience in coaching yes, but I'll disagree about the forward group. Since Jan. 10, Kelowna's forwards have been as good as anybody in the league. Kelowna's top two lines are stacked and superior to Kamloops' top-six group. Kamloops might have a slight edge in the bottom-six but that is closer than Kelowna's advantage in the top-six IMO.

Merkley-Thurkauf-Reid Gardiner
Twarynski-Dube-Lind
Soustal-Southam-Nolan Foote
Erik Gardiner-Topping-Cowell/Mattson/Bruggen-Cate

vs.

Balcers, Sideroff, Shirley, Pilon, Bauer, Holowko, Chyzowski, Smith, Benjafield, Loewen and two others.

I prefer Kelowna's group for high-end skill and I would argue it's just as deep as Kamloops too.

That said, it's going to be a great series, two pretty evenly matched teams on paper aside from the goaltending. Like I said, Kelowna's offence versus Kamloops' goaltending. Time will tell.

Last edited:

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Regina over Calgary in 5
Moose Jaw over Swift Current in 6
Medicine Hat over Brandon in 5
Lethbridge over Red Deer in 7
Prince George over Portland in 7
Kamloops over Kelowna in 7
Everett over Victoria in 4
Seattle over Tri-City in 4

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Goaltending yes, experience in coaching yes, but I'll disagree about the forward group. Since Jan. 10, Kelowna's forwards have been as good as anybody in the league. Kelowna's top two lines are stacked and superior to Kamloops' top-six group. Kamloops might have a slight edge in the bottom-six but that is closer than Kelowna's advantage in the top-six IMO.

Merkley-Thurkauf-Reid Gardiner
Twarynski-Dube-Lind
Soustal-Southam-Nolan Foote
Erik Gardiner-Topping-Cowell/Mattson/Bruggen-Cate

vs.

Balcers, Sideroff, Shirley, Pilon, Bauer, Holowko, Chyzowski, Smith, Benjafeld, Loewen and two others.

I prefer Kelowna's group for high-end skill and I would argue it's just as deep as Kamloops too.

That said, it's going to be a great series, two pretty evenly matched teams on paper aside from the goaltending. Like I said, Kelowna's offence versus Kamloops' goaltending. Time will tell.

Kamloops top 6 outscored the Rockets top 6 424 to 379. They also outscored the Rockets 35-27 in the season series. So explain that one.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Kamloops top 6 outscored the Rockets top 6 424 to 379. They also outscored the Rockets 35-27 in the season series. So explain that one.

While I can't speak for him, Kelowna's offence was never quite healthy until late in the year (Which also coincides with their great run of play).

The big thing Kelowna does better than any other team is there odd man rushes, they can seemingly turn every 3 on 2 into a grade A scoring chance.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna

Rockets top 6 had 325 GP. Blazers top 6 of Sideroff, Balcers, Bauer, Pilon, Shirley, and Benjafield had 410 GP. Even if you sub in Loewen or Holowko they both had 66 GP, or Smith had 61 GP, so not a lot of difference, maybe 10 games max.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
West

Prince George over Portland in 6 games. Probably not the best match up for the Cougars to draw in first round with the 2-2 seasonal series. Nonetheless, the Cougars are the better team and seem to be back to normal after that midseason slump with Guhle back in the lineup.

Kelowna over Kamloops in 7 games. One of two "coin flip" series in the first round. Kelowna's offence vs. Kamloops' defence. Kelowna also has one of the leagues best powerplays going up against one of the best penalty kills in Kamloops so that is another key matchup in this series.

Everett over Victoria in 5 games. Injured pieces on Victoria's blueline are going to give life to Everett's one question mark for me which is their offence. Too suffocating on D for the Royals to overcome.

Seattle over Tri-City in 5 games. Tri-City has been pretty streaky down the stretch. Without Rasmussen though I don't think they have what it takes to take more than 1 game vs. Seattle, which is already going to be tough enough for them.

East

Regina over Calgary in 4 games. Regina is too good offensively, and Calgary's defence and goaltending isn't exactly great. Pretty big mismatch, but so was Brandon vs. Edmonton last year and Edmonton pulled off a couple wins so we will see what happens in this series.

Moose Jaw over Swift Current in 6 games. Another "coin flip" series for me. I gave it to MJ in 6 simply because I think that Moose Jaw is a bit more diverse offensively and that Sawchenko has a slight edge over Papirny in net. In reality, this series could go any which way.

Medicine Hat over Brandon in 5 games. I thought getting rid of Papirny for the Child/Thompson combo wasn't the greatest move for Brandon's playoff hopes this season. Now going up against the 2nd most goals in the WHL this season, I don't think it bodes well for Brandon. I'll give them a game based on experience, but wouldn't be surprised if they took a pair.

Lethbridge over Red Deer in 4 games. Lethbridge too much for the ailing Rebels. Missing Adam Musil is a big hit for the Rebels who were going to need to rely on goals if they wanted to get through the Hurricanes.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Predictions

Regina over Calgary in 5 games

Medicine Hat over Brandon in 5 games

Moose Jaw over Swift Current in 7 games

Lethbridge over Red Deer in 5 games

Everett over Victoria in 5 games

Prince George over Portland in 7 games

Kamloops over Kelowna in 7 games

Seattle over Tri-Cities in 6 games

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Yeah, what "phillipsj89" said, the Rockets' top-six played way fewer games this season due to injuries and world juniors. Gardiner only showed up in January and was a consistent force down the stretch (points in 25 of 28 games). Twarynski was another deadline addition who didn't have the same calibre of linemates in Calgary thus has an inferior overall stat-line. Dube and Merkley were both hurt or recovering from injuries until Christmas. They really only started to turn it on after the trade deadline. I gave Kelowna a slight edge in my forward comparison as part of my series preview for the newspaper: http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/sports/article_ade7a8f8-1043-11e7-8d55-f3590f71f6f1.html

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the KEL-KAM series. Open to debate and feedback is always welcome.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Yeah, what "phillipsj89" said, the Rockets' top-six played way fewer games this season due to injuries and world juniors. Gardiner only showed up in January and was a consistent force down the stretch (points in 25 of 28 games). Twarynski was another deadline addition who didn't have the same calibre of linemates in Calgary thus has an inferior overall stat-line. Dube and Merkley were both hurt or recovering from injuries until Christmas. They really only started to turn it on after the trade deadline. I gave Kelowna a slight edge in my forward comparison as part of my series preview for the newspaper: http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/sports/article_ade7a8f8-1043-11e7-8d55-f3590f71f6f1.html

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the KEL-KAM series. Open to debate and feedback is always welcome.

Well I guess we'll see. Kamloops closed last season on a 9 game win streak and lost in 7 so, that doesn't always mean transfer over to playoffs.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
West:
Portland in 5
Kelowna in 4
Everett in 6
Seattle in 4

East:
Regina in 4
Swift Current in 7
Brandon in 7
Red Deer in 6

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
Adam Brooks isn't back for the Pats. He dressed the last 3 elimination games and was on the bench but didn't step foot on the ice.

From the LeaderPost:

Pats captain Adam Brooks, who suffered a knee injury in Game 2 versus Swift Current, is questionable for the next series. “I don’t know for sure (if he could return),” said Paddock. “I’d like to say that I’m hopeful at some time in the series, but that’s me talking. That’s not really (trainer) Greg (Mayer) or the doctors telling me that.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad