WHL, OHL and Q Bantam or Midget Drafts.....Who will go #1??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Who will go #1 in next Thursday's WHL Bantam Draft for 1989 born player's?? Who are the Top 10 guys??

Who will go #1 in OHL Midget Draft of May 1st?? Who are the Top 10 guys??

Who will go #1 in Q Draft and who are the Top 10 guys for their Midget Draft??

Is there a consensus #1 guy in any of the leagues this year?

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
WHL...

Watch Colton Gillies... He should be a Top-10 NHL pick but this kid is a BLUE-CHIP NHL Prospect and in 3 years we should be talking about him as a Top-5 pick.

My Personal Top 10 (in no order):
Colton Gillies
Jon Negrin
Tyson Sexsmith
Ryan Kerr
Brent Leffler
Drayson Bowman
Brandon Sutter
Matthew Wear
Jesse Craig

I'll do OHL and QMJHL when I have more time.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:
Who will go #1 in next Thursday's WHL Bantam Draft for 1989 born player's?? Who are the Top 10 guys??

Who will go #1 in OHL Midget Draft of May 1st?? Who are the Top 10 guys??

Who will go #1 in Q Draft and who are the Top 10 guys for their Midget Draft??

Is there a consensus #1 guy in any of the leagues this year?

The top 5 selections for next Saturday's OHL draft will be:

1) John Hughes - Belleville
2) Matt Corrente - Saginaw
3) Jordan Stall - Peterborough
4) Ryan McInerney - Sault Ste. Marie
5) Ryan McDonough - Sudbury

Other players who will go in the first round:

James Delory
Ben Shutron
Aaron Alphonso
Nathan Martine
Scott Cowie
Jordan Doig
Matt Belesky
John Armstrong
Cory McGillis
John Degray

The two best players I have seen from Quebec are Benjamin Breault and Jason Legault.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Schlep Rock said:
WHL...

Watch Colton Gillies... He should be a Top-10 NHL pick but this kid is a BLUE-CHIP NHL Prospect and in 3 years we should be talking about him as a Top-5 pick.

Colton Gillies
Jon Negrin
Tyson Sexsmith
Ryan Kerr
Brent Leffler
Drayson Bowman
Brandon Sutter
Matthew Wear
Jesse Craig

I dont think Sutter is a top 10 pick, maybe top 15, but not top 10. Also, Im not so sure Sexsmith goes that high, maybe 7th or 8th, all depends on whos picking were, and what they need. Other than that, good call. Maybe bump up Leffler a bit.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Fedz said:
I dont think Sutter is a top 10 pick, maybe top 15, but not top 10. Also, Im not so sure Sexsmith goes that high, maybe 7th or 8th, all depends on whos picking were, and what they need. Other than that, good call. Maybe bump up Leffler a bit.

Hey Fedz... "no particular order" ;) lol

I think Sutter is a Top-12 pick but at the same time my rankings are on pro potential and those are my Top-10 when it comes to the pro game (well except for two not on the list but for reasons I can't explain I'm keeping them under the radar right now).

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
cdnhky1 said:
The top 5 selections for next Saturday's OHL draft will be:

1) John Hughes - Belleville
2) Matt Corrente - Saginaw
3) Jordan Stall - Peterborough
4) Ryan McInerney - Sault Ste. Marie
5) Ryan McDonough - Sudbury

Other players who will go in the first round:

James Delory
Ben Shutron
Aaron Alphonso
Nathan Martine
Scott Cowie
Jordan Doig
Matt Belesky
John Armstrong
Cory McGillis
John Degray

The two best players I have seen from Quebec are Benjamin Breault and Jason Legault.

Doubt Stall goes that high, a lot of negativity surrounding him lately. As I said earlier this year, he is SO overrated.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
WHL...

Colton Gillies
Jon Negrin
Tyson Sexsmith
Ryan Kerr
Brent Leffler
Drayson Bowman
Brandon Sutter
Matthew Wear
Jesse Craig

Is Bowman American?

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
Doubt Stall goes that high, a lot of negativity surrounding him lately. As I said earlier this year, he is SO overrated.

The top 5 is a done deal. All 5 have agreed to terms with each of the teams. Remember the agents control the draft now and most first rounds selections are agreed upon well before the draft.

As far as Stall being overrated, I agree with you. He is slightly overrated, but he's still a very good prospect. A big kid with a great stride is always going to be in demand. I wouldn't take him with the third pick in the draft but he's certainly a top 15 pick. He'll be a good player down the line but he's going to need some time to mature. He reminds me a young Jason Arnott at this stage.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
cdnhky1 said:
The top 5 is a done deal. All 5 have agreed to terms with each of the teams. Remember the agents control the draft now and most first rounds selections are agreed upon well before the draft.

As far as Stall being overrated, I agree with you. He is slightly overrated, but he's still a very good prospect. A big kid with a great stride is always going to be in demand. I wouldn't take him with the third pick in the draft but he's certainly a top 15 pick. He'll be a good player down the line but he's going to need some time to mature. He reminds me a young Jason Arnott at this stage.

Agents control it A LOT less than you think... There's still a lot of questions on who is going where and at the same time, I still say Jordan is overrated COMPLETELY and if I was a GM I wouldn't even take him in the first round.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
Agents control it A LOT less than you think... There's still a lot of questions on who is going where and at the same time, I still say Jordan is overrated COMPLETELY and if I was a GM I wouldn't even take him in the first round.

You don't think the agents have much control, eh. I can tell you from first hand experience that agencies such as Newport Sports, Bobby Orr and AKT have enormous influence over where their clients play. Newport Sports, who represents Kitchener's Peter Deboer, also happens to represent Evan McGrath and Devereaux Heshmatpour who somehow ended up going much later in the draft than either should have to Kitchener. This year Newport represents 3 of the top 5 picks, Corrente, McInerney and McDonough. You don't think they have much influence on where those players are going. The Sault doesn't particularly want to draft McInerney but they don't have much of a choice since none of the other high end picks will report to the Sault.

I know it's fashionable to dump all over Stall right now, but there is no way there are 20 players in this draft who are better than him.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
cdnhky1 said:
You don't think the agents have much control, eh. I can tell you from first hand experience that agencies such as Newport Sports, Bobby Orr and AKT have enormous influence over where their clients play. Newport Sports, who represents Kitchener's Peter Deboer, also happens to represent Evan McGrath and Devereaux Heshmatpour who somehow ended up going much later in the draft than either should have to Kitchener. This year Newport represents 3 of the top 5 picks, Corrente, McInerney and McDonough. You don't think they have much influence on where those players are going. The Sault doesn't particularly want to draft McInerney but they don't have much of a choice since none of the other high end picks will report to the Sault.

I know it's fashionable to dump all over Stall right now, but there is no way there are 20 players in this draft who are better than him.

Of course agents have control... but it's not as much as you think, that's all I'm saying.

They have the same control as every where (take for example the NFL... Eli Manning says I won't play in San Diego... his agent did squat for him because they still took him but then dealt him).

They have some control but not as much as you're making it out to be. Since Newport is the largest in Ontario they certainly have more control than other firms but none the less they have an influence but not necessarily complete control. And I know from 1st hand experience as well.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Schleprock, can you give us an example of your first hand experience because cdnhky is, as usual, bang on in his assessment! Yes there are times when OHL teams will snub the agents but to their detriment. Take the case of Wes O'Neil. His agent directly told Mavety not to draft him because a deal was all worked out with Brampton. Mavety ignored the agent's request and drafted him regardless. O'Neil of course is now playing in the NCAA.

One thing though cdnhky, only two out of the 10 players the Soo identified as a potential top pick turned them down. They are also very high on Ryan McInerny.

One last thing cdnhky, since you are well connected to an OHL club, is there any truth to the rumor of Barrie drafting a player who supposedly committed to the NTDP? I heard a deal was all worked out with the said player (won't mention his name yet).

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
cdnhky1 said:

Heshmatpour is NOT represented by Newport. I believe he is represented by the same guy who represented O'Marra and Spade in last year's OHL draft, and who represents Geoffrion in this year's draft.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
VOB said:
Schleprock, can you give us an example of your first hand experience because cdnhky is, as usual, bang on in his assessment! Yes there are times when OHL teams will snub the agents but to their detriment. Take the case of Wes O'Neil. His agent directly told Mavety not to draft him because a deal was all worked out with Brampton. Mavety ignored the agent's request and drafted him regardless. O'Neil of course is now playing in the NCAA.

One thing though cdnhky, only two out of the 10 players the Soo identified as a potential top pick turned them down. They are also very high on Ryan McInerny.

One last thing cdnhky, since you are well connected to an OHL club, is there any truth to the rumor of Barrie drafting a player who supposedly committed to the NTDP? I heard a deal was all worked out with the said player (won't mention his name yet).

All I'll say is this: agents have influence but not as much as this OHL scout is making out to be.

I won't be commenting any more on this topic.

DR. Holiday

Schlep Rock said:
All I'll say is this: agents have influence but not as much as this OHL scout is making out to be.

I won't be commenting any more on this topic.

Will you tell us how many times you have seen the whl draft guys.

mark_man12

Jul 3, 2003
Standard
Visit site
Just wondering where did Colton Gillies play. Another Colton, Colton Grant is another kid to look for i don't know how high but probably in the first round. I think he finished second in scoring in the alberta bantam "aaa" league.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
mark_man12 said:
Just wondering where did Colton Gillies play. Another Colton, Colton Grant is another kid to look for i don't know how high but probably in the first round. I think he finished second in scoring in the alberta bantam "aaa" league.
Gillies played for the Semihamoo Bantam AAA Ravens.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
After seeing the QMJHL CSR Challenge i predict this to be an early top 10:

1. Cape-Breton - James Sheppard - 15 - F - Dartmouth MAAA - NS

2. Bathurst - Jonathan Bernier - 15 - G - Laval Laurentides MAAA - Qc

3. Victoriaville - Benjamin Breault - 15 - F - Col. Charles Lemoyne MAAA - Qc

4. Baie-Comeau - Jason Legault - 15 - D - West Island MAAA - Qc

5. Gatineau - Alex Biega - 15 - D - West Island MAAA - Qc

6. Drummondville - Dany Masse - 15 - F - Col. Antoine Girouard MAAA - Qc

7. Val D'or - Vincent Reindeau - 15 - F - Col. Charles Lemoyne MAAA - Qc

8. Lewiston - Alex Lamontagne - 15 - D - Amos MAAA - Qc

9. Rouyn-Noranda - Nicolas Blanchard - 16 - F - Col. Antoine Girouard MAAA - Qc

10. Chicoutimi - Peter-James Corsi - 15 - F - Laval Laurentides MAAA - Qc

Its a rough draft off the top of my head.

choda32

Mar 17, 2004
what about azevado in the ohl i know hes small but this kid lit up the junior B circuit, more thatn little did in his draft year

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
WHL...

Colton Gillies
Jon Negrin
Tyson Sexsmith
Ryan Kerr
Brent Leffler
Drayson Bowman
Brandon Sutter
Matthew Wear
Jesse Craig

Well, Ryan Kerr from BC went #1 to Prince George. Colton Gillies went #2 to Saskatoon and Thomas Hickey went #3 to Seattle.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
HabLover said:
Well, Ryan Kerr from BC went #1 to Prince George. Colton Gillies went #2 to Saskatoon and Thomas Hickey went #3 to Seattle.

Hickey was a SHOCK and the fact Wear and Craig fell so far was another shock.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
If you had have watched Hickey play this year you'd realize it was a not even CLOSE to being a shock that he went 3rd overall. The guy averaged 2 points-per-game as a D-man in the top AAA bantam league in Alberta. Scouts avoided watching him so as to not tip thier hat.

His strenghths are his uncanny ability to think the game. And although he's not a big d-man by any means, he hits to hurt. It was his ability to change his team from a bunch of also-rans to a legitimate title contender via leadership that helped make him such a treat to watch this past season.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Minnesota Norse Star said:
If you had have watched Hickey play this year you'd realize it was a not even CLOSE to being a shock that he went 3rd overall. The guy averaged 2 points-per-game as a D-man in the top AAA bantam league in Alberta. Scouts avoided watching him so as to not tip thier hat.

His strenghths are his uncanny ability to think the game. And although he's not a big d-man by any means, he hits to hurt. It was his ability to change his team from a bunch of also-rans to a legitimate title contender via leadership that helped make him such a treat to watch this past season.

A shock means something unexpected... I didn't say his draft position was wrong I said it was a shock that he was picked so high.

Heard little hype surrounding him so for him to get 3rd overall is a shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad