WHL news- TriCity Americans file to relocate

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
MrMastodonFarm said:
So basically we all are in agreement that monster_bertuzzi's comment was pretty f'n stupid.

Firstly, that just isn't very nice.

Secondly, you obviously have: a) not been to Vancouver, b) not been there in sometime or c) just don't know what you are talking about.

Comparing Red Deer/Calgary to Vancouver/Chilliwack is ridiculous (I won't use the word 'stupid' because again, that isn't nice). Before you ask, yes I've driven between Calgary/Red Deer and Vancouver/Chilliwack. Red Deer is approx. between 130-150km from Calgary if I remember, whereas Chilliwack is barely 100km (if that) from the 'Greater Vancouver' sign. I know people from Chilliwack who when asked just say they are from Vancouver or 'very near Vancouver'. I doubt anyone from Red Deer says they are from Calgary. I drive out to the interior every year through Hope and I've never considered myself really out of the GVA until I'm on the road between Chilliwack and Hope. The major difference I see is there is pretty much communities straight from Vancouver right through to Chilliwack. The Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia comparison is way more accurate I think. Anyways, if you ask people from Vancouver/Burnaby/etc. I think it would be a toss-up whether they considered Chilliwack part of Vancouver. And people who are talking about the driving time are probably driving during rush hour, heck it can take an hour just to get over the Lions Gate sometimes, is West Vancouver therefore not part of Vancouver? Even if semantically Chilliwack is officially not a municipality I think most people consider it as such. So yah, I don't think his comment was that stupid, in fact a large number of people from Vancouver and Chilliwack might agree, at least loosely.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
westcoast said:
Firstly, that just isn't very nice.

Secondly, you obviously have: a) not been to Vancouver, b) not been there in sometime or c) just don't know what you are talking about.

Comparing Red Deer/Calgary to Vancouver/Chilliwack is ridiculous (I won't use the word 'stupid' because again, that isn't nice). Before you ask, yes I've driven between Calgary/Red Deer and Vancouver/Chilliwack. Red Deer is approx. between 130-150km from Calgary if I remember, whereas Chilliwack is barely 100km (if that) from the 'Greater Vancouver' sign. I know people from Chilliwack who when asked just say they are from Vancouver or 'very near Vancouver'. I doubt anyone from Red Deer says they are from Calgary. I drive out to the interior every year through Hope and I've never considered myself really out of the GVA until I'm on the road between Chilliwack and Hope. The major difference I see is there is pretty much communities straight from Vancouver right through to Chilliwack. The Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia comparison is way more accurate I think. Anyways, if you ask people from Vancouver/Burnaby/etc. I think it would be a toss-up whether they considered Chilliwack part of Vancouver. And people who are talking about the driving time are probably driving during rush hour, heck it can take an hour just to get over the Lions Gate sometimes, is West Vancouver therefore not part of Vancouver? Even if semantically Chilliwack is officially not a municipality I think most people consider it as such. So yah, I don't think his comment was that stupid, in fact a large number of people from Vancouver and Chilliwack might agree, at least loosely.

*Relays this message to MrMastadonFarm*

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
*Relays this message to MrMastadonFarm*
I think he spoke very well for you, still don't mean jack. Vancouver wouldn't have two WHL teams if it is moved to Chilliwack.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
I think he spoke very well for you, still don't mean jack. Vancouver wouldn't have two WHL teams if it is moved to Chilliwack.
I agree with MrMast on this one. Chilliwack is an avid hockey town/city/whatever it is...and they would not be considered a second Vancouver team. I also know lots of people from that area, and they don't consider themselves from "just outside Vancouver". Chilliwack is past the GVR...and I don't tend to include it when I think of Vancouver or its surrounding suburbs (Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby, Poco, etc.)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
jtuzzi21 said:
I agree with MrMast on this one. Chilliwack is an avid hockey town/city/whatever it is...and they would not be considered a second Vancouver team. I also know lots of people from that area, and they don't consider themselves from "just outside Vancouver". Chilliwack is past the GVR...and I don't tend to include it when I think of Vancouver or its surrounding suburbs (Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby, Poco, etc.)

Like I said, it is a toss-up, I know people that would consider it both ways depending on the issue. I see nothing wrong with considering Chilliwack part of the GVA, especially considering some of the places that are registered as part of the GTA. But again, semantically Chilliwack isn't a municipality, and it's actually farther from the Vancouver then Squamish, which is most definitely not considered a part of Vancouver. But again, depending on the issue it can go either way. Additionally I agree with the sports aspects, as sports rivalries tend to cause a greater degree of regionalization.

CF

Dec 10, 2004
Burnaby, BC
monster_bertuzzi said:
And you might notice that I said ''It would be Like Vancouver has 2 teams.''
Do you think the Tips and T-birds location is like Seattle having 2 teams? The people of Everett and Seattle sure don't, and they're closer together than Vancouver and Chilliwack are.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
I do not see this passing AT ALL. Chilliwacks arena only holds 2350, thats way smaller then Swift Currents Arena and look at the problems there having. I say just put the team in Victoria, I'm sure they will accept it with open arms and drive the ECHL out at the same time...

BCCHL inactive

A Lone Wolf said:
I do not see this passing AT ALL. Chilliwacks arena only holds 2350, thats way smaller then Swift Currents Arena and look at the problems there having.

Where do you get your information? Chilliwack's Prospera Centre seats 3,700 and is expandable to over 5,000...which the city approved funding for shall the WHL approve a move to Chilliwack.

Unfortunately for the City of Chilliwack, the WHL Board of Governors denied the application earlier today.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
it's too bad the owner of the manitoba moose/mts centre has refused to allow a team to sign a lease, as i know we'd make a great WHL city. i guess i can understand how an ahl owner would fear an whl team ?!?!?!

i have to say i envy chilliwack. i'd much rather watch 16-20 year olds play hard every night instead of watching the Canucks' prospects give lacklustre performances.

congratulations chilliwack.it's nice to see a hockey team relocate to canada for a change !!!!

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
hawker14 said:
it's too bad the owner of the manitoba moose/mts centre has refused to allow a team to sign a lease, as i know we'd make a great WHL city. i guess i can understand how an ahl owner would fear an whl team ?!?!?!

i have to say i envy chilliwack. i'd much rather watch 16-20 year olds play hard every night instead of watching the Canucks' prospects give lacklustre performances.

congratulations chilliwack.it's nice to see a hockey team relocate to canada for a change !!!!
umm...they're not now. They'll be staying...MAYBE in Tri-Cities next year as they got declined their move....that being said...they don't have a lease for the rink in Tri-Cities for next year yet either though...still lots of work to be done there

BCCHL inactive

hawker14 said:

Did I need to put it in Size 7 bold letters?

Chris, I'm pretty sure today was the deadline to apply for relocation, meaning the Americans are stuck in Kennewick, Washington for next season.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Van said:
Did I need to put it in Size 7 bold letters?

Chris, I'm pretty sure today was the deadline to apply for relocation, meaning the Americans are stuck in Kennewick, Washington for next season.
That may be true...but without a lease on a rink....what are they to do? I highly doubt the fans are going to support Porter now....especially after claiming he wasn't moving the team...wasn't moving the team...and then filing for relocation. I mean, look at Wedensday's game against the T-birds...playoff game and everything and they're only drawing 2211....I suppose Friday night's game will be a telling tail....

still...without a lease, it's not as though they can play. I'd almost suspect Porter will look for local ownership to take over his share of the team so he can get the heck out of dodge!

and here you go Hawker14 TCA stays put!

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Canadian Chris said:
That may be true...but without a lease on a rink....what are they to do? I highly doubt the fans are going to support Porter now....especially after claiming he wasn't moving the team...wasn't moving the team...and then filing for relocation. I mean, look at Wedensday's game against the T-birds...playoff game and everything and they're only drawing 2211....I suppose Friday night's game will be a telling tail....

still...without a lease, it's not as though they can play. I'd almost suspect Porter will look for local ownership to take over his share of the team so he can get the heck out of dodge!

and here you go Hawker14 TCA stays put!

thanks

BCCHL inactive

hawker14 said:
no, a link to a legitimate news organization will always suffice. thanks

All you had to do was go to the WHL Board....or god forbid, go to the WHL's website.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
This could be good news for Edmonton. The Oilers have been very vocal that they are interested in taking another crack at the WHL. They may even have made a previous offer for the Tri-Cities franchise. The feeling around town is that the Roadrunners are not going to be around for long, and the Oilers would love a set-up similar to the Flames in Calgary.

BCCHL inactive

Wolfpack said:
This could be good news for Edmonton. The Oilers have been very vocal that they are interested in taking another crack at the WHL. They may even have made a previous offer for the Tri-Cities franchise. The feeling around town is that the Roadrunners are not going to be around for long, and the Oilers would love a set-up similar to the Flames in Calgary.

I just wonder what changed the Oilers mind from when the Ice were there.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
I just wonder what changed the Oilers mind from when the Ice were there.

Two things have changed. One - the Oilers had nothing whatsoever to do with the Ice. Two - one reason they had nothing to do with the Ice is that Pocklington still owned them and had no interest in Junior hockey. Current ownership as well as management views things differently - as of this morning there is another story in the Edmonton Journal about their continuing interest in paying about $4 million for a franchise.

But, it is also clear that the WHL does not want that team to be the Ams. They want them to stay in the US division, for obvious reasons, which is stated as the main reason the application to move was turned down.

So the Oilers continue to wait for an ownership group to step up for the money. So far, though, no luck.

CF

Dec 10, 2004
Burnaby, BC
Mark my words, Chilliwack will be a WHL franchise in the future. I'm going to put my money on Prince George, but the Americans are still a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->