WHL Goalies

• Thread starter Rather Gingerly 1*
  • Start date

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Who is the best goalie to come out of the WHL?

# - Goalie - Drafted from
=========================
1 - Grant "Coco" Fuhr - Victoria Cougars
2 - Mike "Vernie" Vernon - Calgary Wranglers
3 - Ron "Hexy" Hextall - Brandon Wheat Kings
4 - Pete "Grumpy" Peeters - Medicine Hat Tigers
5 - Andy "Peaches" Moog - Billings Bighorns

(honorable mention: Osgood, Kolzig, Ranford, Hrudey, Wregget, Ward, Dafoe)

imho...

Ogopogo*

Definitely, Fuhr.

In a way I always wished that Pete Peeters played for the Peterborough Petes. ;-)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
# - Goalie - Drafted from
=========================

imho...

Well, I'd put Moog in 3, and Hextall th and 5th, but very good list otherwise.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Carey Price may someday be the best to come out of the WHL

Bryzga lol*

The WHL seems to be taking the QMJHL's spot as the top producers of quality goaltenders. The Q is still doing well, but there's quite a few goaltenders coming from the west now. Not to mention the past 3 starting goalies for Canada have been from the WHL (and I think Irving will be the next one).

Rather Gingerly 1*

The WHL seems to be taking the QMJHL's spot as the top producers of quality goaltenders. The Q is still doing well, but there's quite a few goaltenders coming from the west now. Not to mention the past 3 starting goalies for Canada have been from the WHL (and I think Irving will be the next one).

Bernier could be next year's starter also. Irving has slide some this fall

Bryzga lol*

Bernier could be next year's starter also. Irving has slide some this fall

I don't think Irving slid at all. He was drafted late in the first round, when Bernier was 10th. And Irving has the best stats in the CHL (I know they don't mean much behind an amazing team, but he did out play Bernier at camp).

Bernier definetly could be Canada's starter. But even though next year's camp will determine who the starting goalie is, I think being Price's backup + outplaying Bernier in camp (by a lot, Bernier was terrible), Irving has a the best chance of becoming the number one goaltender. But that's a year away, anything could happen. Maybe they'll both lose the spot to an underdog? :dunno:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Definitely, Fuhr.

In a way I always wished that Pete Peeters played for the Peterborough Petes. ;-)

Good one!!

Too bad it didn't happen...life coulda/shoulda been so perfect for both..., oh well!! (for Pete and the Petes...).

p.s.: I also really, really want to see Miroslav Satan in a Devils' jersey!!
It would sell so many jerseys... too perfect! How can they not acquire him?!!

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Carey Price may someday be the best to come out of the WHL

I (kinda) knew where this thread was going!!;):):p:

I really hope so (about Price being the best or one of the best to come out of the WHL, it's looking darn good right now...& let's just be a little patient 'cause he's only 19...).

Go Price Go!!:)

------------------------------ ----------------------------- ----------------------------

Thanks to the list of "pnep"...

Interesting: the fact that Price and Kolzig practice together & Kolzig is on this list...

I really hope that Carey Price can one day be as good (or better) than some/most of the goalies listed below
...:

Last edited:

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Definitely, Fuhr.

The German football team Wolfsburg used to have Wolfgang Wolff as head coach.

Anyway, I think my top 3 would be Fuhr, Vernon and Moog.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I don't think Irving slid at all. He was drafted late in the first round, when Bernier was 10th. And Irving has the best stats in the CHL (I know they don't mean much behind an amazing team, but he did out play Bernier at camp).

Bernier definetly could be Canada's starter. But even though next year's camp will determine who the starting goalie is, I think being Price's backup + outplaying Bernier in camp (by a lot, Bernier was terrible), Irving has a the best chance of becoming the number one goaltender. But that's a year away, anything could happen. Maybe they'll both lose the spot to an underdog? :dunno:

Irving was terrible against Sweden. Can't see how we can ever go with him. Maybe Trevor Cann by then:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->