Olympics: Which young core is better, USA or Canada?

• Thread starter Tavaresmagicalplay*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
We didnt have our young core on display, we had a mix of young and old - we will always have better depth in hockey until one day these other countries send there best athletes at us, it may happen - but it wont happen, you know what I mean?

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Taylor Hall ahead of Kane, Patrick ?

How can Hall even be on that list? He hasn't even played a single NHL game. This guy couldn't even come up big in the WJC.

Hall was one of the best players in the WJC tournament as a 17 year old in a 19 year old's tournament. Stamkos was in contention for the Olympic team in his 2nd year, Jonathan Toews made this team in his 3rd year and was the top forward, is it unreasonable to think that Hall in his 4th year won't be one of the top players by then?

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Sidney Crosby
Jonathan Toews
Evander Kane
Matt Duchene
John Tavares
Ryan Getzlaf
Steve Stamkos

Tyler Myers
Drew Doughty
Shea Weber
Ducan Keith
Dion Phaneuf

Marc Andre Fluery
Cam Ward
Carey Price
Steve Mason

I think Canada is better, and that line up^ will be more then enough to keep us at least the favourites on paper every time.

oilerfanatic

Oct 12, 2005
Siberia
pffffft...can't believe this question is even asked...we have guys like neal, stamkos, green, tavares al coming up...we're not lacking in any department...we're still developing players in all positions...in net fleury and possibly cam ward will be our go to guys in the future..

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
We didnt have our young core on display, we had a mix of young and old - we will always have better depth in hockey until one day these other countries send there best athletes at us, it may happen - but it wont happen, you know what I mean?

nope I don't, our incredible depth will always make us wonder "what if". if we happen to lose.

The fact is no country in the world would leave stamkos off their team except canada

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
Offhand, Canada's. But that doesn't mean the U.S. doesn't have a good core, that they won't win WJCs in the future or can't put together an elite, gold-medal winning Olympic team in the future. Canada just churns out such a high volume of players every year they'll probably remain on top for as long as hockey doesn't move into the traditional territory of basketball/baseball/football in the U.S. (I mean this in terms of athletes pursuing hockey over those careers).

Until that happens the U.S. just won't match Canada in terms of the number of great players produced every year. However, there's only 23 players on a hockey team. So yes, Canada probably has a better younger core in the future as a country, but in actual skill on the national teams they're not miles apart.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
pffffft...can't believe this question is even asked...we have guys like neal, stamkos, green, tavares al coming up...we're not lacking in any department...we're still developing players in all positions...in net fleury and possibly cam ward will be our go to guys in the future..

Add Steve Mason to your goalie list.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Canada is like the Yankees. Best team by far, talent wise, and they should always win gold, when they don't it's an under-achievement.

Who has the better crop of young baseball players, football players, basketball players, soccer players, swimmers, track athletes, gymnasts, tennis players, golfers, etc?

Hockey is their sport, US can't be expected to compete in the same level. Today's game was an example of heart, teamwork and goaltending keeping a less talented team in the game.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
It will be interesting to see how the younger canadian talent pans out when they become the veteran core and are surrounded by youngsters. I guess guys like Doughty, Getzlaf, Crosby, Perry, Keith, Seabrook, Staal etc will be around for a long time, so I am sure we will see much more from them in a canadian jersey.

I will say, though, that if the USA keeps this young squad intact for 2014, they will definitely be among the favorites and elite teams in the world. In another 4 years the likes of Ryan, Kessel and Kane will be truly elite players rather than just excellent young guns, and that defense will be even more solid.

obvious statement over

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
It will be interesting to see how the younger canadian talent pans out when they become the veteran core and are surrounded by youngsters. I guess guys like Doughty, Getzlaf, Crosby, Perry, Keith, Seabrook, Staal etc will be around for a long time, so I am sure we will see much more from them in a canadian jersey.

I will say, though, that if the USA keeps this young squad intact for 2014, they will definitely be among the favorites and elite teams in the world. In another 4 years the likes of Ryan, Kessel and Kane will be truly elite players rather than just excellent young guns, and that defense will be even more solid.

obvious statement over

We only had a couple of young players to carry the torch from 2002 and the most prolific one of that bunch ended up being a major player in the game winner today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad