Salary Cap: Which Wheeler contract would you prefer?

Which Wheeler contract would you prefer?

• Total voters

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
4yrs x 6.125m

Give him Scheifele money. :naughty:
I was thinking along these lines as well. Maybe a touch more. 4 X $6.25 M. That is $25 M on top of the $50+ M he would have already earned in his career at that point. That brings him to age 37 and captain of a cup contender for the next 5 years. Not a bad career IMO.

Reactions: surixon

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Top scorer in league. Will be captain of any USA team.

Dude will get paid.

PR exercise for jets if they decide to trade or let him walk.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
A 4 year contract for Blake Wheeler will start at 28 Million dollars on the open market. For 5 years, you're probably looking at 34 Million. IMO, TNSE doesn't have an issue with paying market value for quality individuals (on & off the ice). It's the price of business, and the precise culture that this Organization is trying to build, IMO. To jettison quality players and great leadership mentors, then having to 'buy' them on the open market (Trade deadline, UFA's) is counterproductive to the long-term goal. One way or another, an NHL team has to pay this freight. In a market like Winnipeg, keeping (and breeding) your own, is the bloodline of existence, IMO. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The longer, cheaper deal. There is no way Wheeler signs for anything less than 30+ million for the total contract value. You can forget about the 3 year and 4 year deals, because the cap hit would be too high in the near term. I would favour a longer deal, recognizing it might be an overpay for a few years at the end. Assuming the cap keeps rising, it would become less and less of a burden in the future, while allowing the Jets some flexibility in the shorter term.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A big contract to Wheeler scares me a bit. Buff is already declining especially on the goal scoring front, but only 3 years after this year. Little hasn't started his next deal yet and his production is already showing signs of a dip. While Wheeler is still playing at an elite level father time can come crashing down quick. If anything I'd want Chevy to slow play any deal. I've been a huge Wheeler supporter this year, but I'd really hate a bad long term contract with so much young talent in the organization.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If Wheeler doesn't show any signs of slowing down, the Jets have to sign him and deal with the aftermath. Not the end of the world to wait until end of next off season to sign him. A lot can happen in a year.

His price will never be higher than it has been this off season. No need to jump the gun on an extension.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd like to see about 4 years, at around $ 6.5 mil per season.( same as Scheif) After that, see how he's playing, and how age has affected him, and then make a decision.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
I don't like either of those to be honest. At 33 years old I wouldn't want to sign Wheeler to anything more than 3 years. Taking him to 36. I also wouldn't want to sign him for any more than $6.5 per.

Wheeler has probably 3 seasons left with 8.5m value per so don't see that happening (top 20 scoring 1st line production)

You only need him to give you 4 years at 3m per of value (35pt 3rd line defensively sound) for 7/35 to be a great value contract.

5/35 to 5/40 will probably be the contract

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Would we get alot for him in a trade? I think it might be time to move on. With the quality of young wings we have if he doesn't want to sign cheaply for a 5 year deal than I say it has been an honour having you on the Jets, goodbye.

Reactions: libertarian

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm not sure if the fan base has come to the realization yet that we won't be able to keep all the young talent here.

7+ million is what he's worth and he'll get it from the Jets. I hope the term is reasonable.

Probably cost us a Connor ora Roslovic down the road which I'm completely fine with.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
however TNSE doesn't believe in staggering yearly salary, if it isn't absolutely necessary (lower salary only helps when thinking of moving contracts).

TNSE has done many declining salary and increasing salary deals. I don't know why you think they don't like them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not sure if the fan base has come to the realization yet that we won't be able to keep all the young talent here.

7+ million is what he's worth and he'll get it from the Jets. I hope the term is reasonable.

Probably cost us a Connor ora Roslovic down the road which I'm completely fine with.

See I am not fine with that as imo i think he's due to start declining within the next few years. Heck i think there are areas of his game that are weaker this year but its masked by his production. I am terrified at thought of signing him after an outlier year post 30.

In the NHL can someone even point to one mid 30's big value deal that actually worked out?

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
See I am not fine with that as imo i think he's due to start declining within the next few years. Heck i think there are areas of his game that are weaker this year but its masked by his production. I am terrified at thought of signing him after an outlier year post 30.

In the NHL can someone even point to one mid 30's big value deal that actually worked out?

Except this hasn't been an outlier season.

The declining past 30 has been way over blown IMO. Its not the same for any 2 players and the rate of decline isn't either. Add on the fact the further you have to decline when you're as productive as Wheeler is I can't see why not give him 5 years. I'd prefer 3 or 4.

Trying to get rid of a good player before he declines is like trying to time the stock market. You're better off keeping a player of this caliber and dealing with the repercussions.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Prior to this season he's produced pretty consistently at a low to mid 70's pace. This season he is on pace to produce 90 points. Do you not think this pace is a bit of an annomly?

Factor in that his possesson numbers are in the toilet and there should be some question marks as to where exactly his game is at.

I'm not trying to run a good player out of town but you can't just open the vault for an aging player. As mentioned earlier and me one time a big long term deal to a 30 plus year old player worked out well for the team that signed it.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Prior to this season he's produced pretty consistently at a low to mid 70's pace. This season he is on pace to produce 90 points. Do you not think this pace is a bit of an annomly?

Factor in that his possesson numbers are in the toilet and there should be some question marks as to where exactly his game is at.

I'm not trying to run a good player out of town but you can't just open the vault for an aging player. As mentioned earlier and me one time a big long term deal to a 30 plus year old player worked out well for the team that signed it.

Obvious held back by playing so much with Ladd & Little :sarcasm:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Except this hasn't been an outlier season.

The declining past 30 has been way over blown IMO. Its not the same for any 2 players and the rate of decline isn't either. Add on the fact the further you have to decline when you're as productive as Wheeler is I can't see why not give him 5 years. I'd prefer 3 or 4.

Trying to get rid of a good player before he declines is like trying to time the stock market. You're better off keeping a player of this caliber and dealing with the repercussions.

I agree with this. Good teams lock up their core players. If his play declines down the line then so be it. If there are cap problems then buy him out or trade him with a pick to a team that wants him, or maybe he'll just retire.

Signing Wheeler for a lower cap hit but for a longer term could help the Jets sign all their young players to long term deals in the short term as well. It might mean someone like Roslo will have to take a bridge deal in 3 years, but lots of young players on cap teams end up doing that.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

I do think 90 is probably the high end but frankly 70 point guys are worth 7+ all day. If I thought Wheeler was a 90 point guy his contract would be in the 9's.

The dip in his fancy stats and probably be attributed to linemates I'm guessing. That and the shit start the whole team got off to.

I'm fairly confident his underlying numbers would be much better playing with Little, Ehlers or MP.

I'm willing to take a chance on a 37-38 year old Wheeler. There aren't a lot of players I'd say that about but he's one of them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I do think 90 is probably the high end but frankly 70 point guys are worth 7+ all day. If I thought Wheeler was a 90 point guy his contract would be in the 9's.

The dip in his fancy stats and probably be attributed to linemates I'm guessing. That and the **** start the whole team got off to.

I'm fairly confident his underlying numbers would be much better playing with Little, Ehlers or MP.

I'm willing to take a chance on a 37-38 year old Wheeler. There aren't a lot of players I'd say that about but he's one of them.

I don't think you can accuratey project any 30 plus year old player which is where my concern cones in. I would like to bring up a player that imo compared pretty closely with Wheeler in Brad Richards. Richards had two of his best years at age 30 and 31. Scoring 91 in 80 and 77 in 72 the next year. Much like Wheeler he didn't show any signs of slowing down heading into FA that summer. He signed a 9 year $60 million deal and was bought out after 3 years because his performance sharply declined to 51 points by year three. The two years after his buyout he posted 37 and 28 points.

The Rangers bought out roughly $27 million in salary. We aren't a big market that can afford to eat something that large.

You say Wheeler is woth $7 million and I would agree but for no more than 2 to 3 seasons.

As Richards case study shows even players who look like they can continue to play at an elite level through their 30's can decline incredibly quickly and with little worning. We aren't a market that imo can afford to buy out way out of such a mistake.

Maybe Wheeler is one in a million and defies the odds but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad