Salary Cap: Which Wheeler contract would you prefer?

Which Wheeler contract would you prefer?

• Total voters

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Curious what people think, Wheeler and Chevy will look to give him what he deserves while not hurting the team. The first contract puts us in a pinch immediately and likely causes us to lose someone but would be decent value for most of it whereas the second contract gives us some more flexibility in this current window whereas the second gives us some more immediate flexibility but commits us for longer and the last years could be a pretty big drag.

Thoughts? Would a 6x6 be better then either? My first thread so don’t shred me haha

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
4 year x 5 mil. If its anything more I don't see how we can afford him when we are so deep in wings knocking on the door. I see him taking it because he's made his money and wants to end his career with a Stanley cup.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I can't see Wheeler signing for 4 years let alone 3....he will sign minimum 5 year deal and it will be with the Jets.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I don’t think he’s going anywhere and think he will sign a very team friendly deal to keep the core intact. Will we lose secondary players like Tanev, Petan, Enstrom etc, sure, but he has fully bought into the system and what the team is doing and the locker room, and truly believe between him and Chef, they are really pulling this team together and making guys like Trouba think twice about leaving. Money isn’t everything, trust me. These guys are rich and probably have more than enough. Wheels strikes me as one of those that is content with what he has.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
out of those two I'd take 7 years @ $5M
he seems to be holding up well as he ages and $5M isn't too much to retain such a good player, even if it eventually becomes problematic

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
I'd rather Chapman offer him a position in the company and 4 years @ 5.25 the position would obv be secret until he retires! Eff the rules!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Curious what people think, Wheeler and Chevy will look to give him what he deserves while not hurting the team. The first contract puts us in a pinch immediately and likely causes us to lose someone but would be decent value for most of it whereas the second contract gives us some more flexibility in this current window whereas the second gives us some more immediate flexibility but commits us for longer and the last years could be a pretty big drag.

Thoughts? Would a 6x6 be better then either? My first thread so don’t shred me haha

Its a good question. It has been talked about a bit here. There are pros and cons to both. I don't like the chances of him being a good player for 7 years. But maybe we can carry him for the last couple at a lower AAV. A 5 year deal gets him out the door closer to when he can no longer contribute.

He will lose some of his prime asset, speed, pretty soon. Will he adapt and still be good when he is slower? Maybe. He might still be a good player for up to 5-7 years. Or he could lose a little speed and fall off a cliff in 2.

I can't answer this one. Much as I would hate to trade the captain and much as I would hate to lose Wheeler the player, part of me would like to see him traded rather than extended.

I know it never happens but it might be better if we could sign him to a series of shorter contracts. Two years @ 8 followed by 2 at 6. Then 1 at 5 or 4 or whatever his play merits.

I don't envy Chevy this decision.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Its a good question. It has been talked about a bit here. There are pros and cons to both. I don't like the chances of him being a good player for 7 years. But maybe we can carry him for the last couple at a lower AAV. A 5 year deal gets him out the door closer to when he can no longer contribute.

He will lose some of his prime asset, speed, pretty soon. Will he adapt and still be good when he is slower? Maybe. He might still be a good player for up to 5-7 years. Or he could lose a little speed and fall off a cliff in 2.

I can't answer this one. Much as I would hate to trade the captain and much as I would hate to lose Wheeler the player, part of me would like to see him traded rather than extended.

I know it never happens but it might be better if we could sign him to a series of shorter contracts. Two years @ 8 followed by 2 at 6. Then 1 at 5 or 4 or whatever his play merits.

In my opinion, it will be very close to this number (re: the bolded). 39 Million over 6 years of service. Something based off of the contract formula: 8.5/8.5/6/6/5/5; however TNSE doesn't believe in staggering yearly salary, if it isn't absolutely necessary (lower salary only helps when thinking of moving contracts). So it will essentially be $6.5M x 6yrs (same as the AAV), IMO. Time will tell.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Dealing with the vets as they age out will likely be among Chevy's most difficult tasks. But with the amount of young talent he has accumulated it will be vital to keep open a contending window as long as possible. IMO we can't go 5-7 years with Wheeler. He will be 33 y/o when his next contract kicks in. 4 years would be the max I'd like to see.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Dealing with the vets as they age out will likely be among Chevy's most difficult tasks. But with the amount of young talent he has accumulated it will be vital to keep open a contending window as long as possible. IMO we can't go 5-7 years with Wheeler. He will be 33 y/o when his next contract kicks in. 4 years would be the max I'd like to see.

These are pretty much my thoughts. Wheeler is a terrific player and leader but we can't afford to lock ourselves into a long term deal on a 33 plus year old player. I know the points are there this year but a good chunk of his underlying metrics aren't all that good this year. Is that a sign that in some ways he's slowing down or is it a blip. If he isn't open to a 4 year deal then I think you have to move on from him.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
5mil for 7 years is a much better deal.

It's just plain better for the first 5 years 100% of the time. Also, he might retire anyway before the contract would end. And if he doesn't, he's going to be a valuable veteran presence who's overpaid by maybe 3 million during the final 2 years. That's easily worth the 2 mil savings during the first 5 years, especially considering that's when the potential cup window is going to be.

This really shouldn't even be up for debate, it's that clear a choice.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It's going to be tough for us to give any contract to Wheeler is he wants to get paid close to what he can. Went through this with Ladd already.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->