Speculation: Which teams will Bid for Green?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
HOPEFULLY there's a bidding war, between teams with a 2018 first rounder.
REALISTICALLY, I'd be happy with any first rounder, and would consider a 2nd +, if the + is enticing.
AT MINIMUM, I'd want a 2nd and a 4th, but I'd be disappointed if that's all he garnered.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
1st round pick at least especially if Detroit retains salary

Any team that needs offensive defensman help and has some cap space will be bidding on him.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
So seriously. Who are the teams that need Green?
I have serious doubts he's going to fetch the prize so many seem to expect.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Not sure anyone needs him. But teams would take him for a 1st? I’d say

Jersey (if in a playoff spot). Toronto. Maybe pitt if they’re in trouble. Edmonton (if they’re contending for a spot). Islanders (though I don’t know who is there right now) heck maybe even the hawks

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Kings, rangers, Oilers (assuming they get better), devils, pens, islanders

According to the fans of those teams

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/what-are-your-teams-needs-and-trade-chips.2424457/

Who wouldn't want a top 4 defenseman? Capitals traded for shatty and they had a good defense and won the presidents last season. So even a team like Tampa could be in the running.

Get a late first rounder, retain salary and/or send a 1 year cap dump back to make it work

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Kings, rangers, Oilers (assuming they get better), devils, pens, islanders

According to the fans of those teams

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/what-are-your-teams-needs-and-trade-chips.2424457/

Who wouldn't want a top 4 defenseman? Capitals traded for shatty and they had a good defense and won the presidents last season. So even a team like Tampa could be in the running.

Get a late first rounder, retain salary and/or send a 1 year cap dump back to make it work

If that's true, I'm hoping he goes to either LA or Edmonton as I like both those teams. f*** the Penguins. Let them rot.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

You could be right. I do trust Ken Holland will squeeze the most anyone can out of him, however.

Maybe EDM for a 2nd and 6th or something like that. I think EDM are at the point where they don't want draft picks, they want the talent they can't find in the draft so McDavid's and Dresl contracts don't look so bad. (unless they win the lottery and draft Dahlin... which they probably will since they are overdue for another 1st overall)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think EDM are at the point where they don't want draft picks, they want the talent they can't find in the draft so McDavid's and Dresl contracts don't look so bad. (unless they win the lottery and draft Dahlin... which they probably will since they are overdue for another 1st overall)
McDavid is currently tied for 4th in league scoring. I wouldn't say his contract is looking bad at all. They need help around him on defense and in net, but Connor is doing just fine for his salary.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd trade him for whatever the best offer is. I expect that'll be a first round pick but if we can't get that, get anything. He's going to be not only the best D available at the deadline but probably the best player too.

Who will be interested? Probably any contender. The Oilers were my pre-season favorite to take him but they'd have to climb the standings some first. Many Toronto fans are adamant they won't want him but I expect management will place a bid. Besides that team's like the Devils, Rangers, Kings and Islanders seem to have a spot for him and the potential to contend. Other comtenders like Washington, Tampa, St. Louis and Pittsburgh might toss their hat in the ring as well but they don't seem to have as much need for him. Imagine if Tampa added Green to their lineup. The PP would be even more unstoppable.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Oilers will give their first and we take Mark Fayne as salary dump.

They just have to get that team going first to became a buyer.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If there's any parallel to the interest in Shattenkirk last year, a team that's been in the hunt for several years, possibly even as a favorite, but can't quite get over the top, would be willing to part with the most to land Green.

Which is why I agree that I wouldn't rule out somebody like Tampa or St Louis. Heck, Chicago might even overextend themselves for one last kick at the can, assuming they like Green as a fit for them.

I don't expect to have 10 teams beating down the door for him, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a first rounder from somebody.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Western buyers:

Anaheim
Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Bieksa
Beauchemin - Montour
L-R in every pair, and also no weakness at power-play point.

Calgary, has Hamonic, Hamilton, Stone on right side. No PP weaknesses.

Chicago, Seabrook, Connor Murphy and Jan Rutta have been good on right size. Could prefer a LhD.

Dallas has their own Green in Klingberg. They also have enough righties.

Edmonton:
Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Oilers really need an upgrade for the PP and upgrade also on the right side. They won't have good right-handed quarterback or good Rh forwards to quarterback the PP. Mark Letestu... c'mon. Larsson and Benning are only righties. Larsson is ultra-defensive and Benning could drop to 7th D if acquiring Green.

Los Angeles:

Muzzin - Doughty
Forborth - Martinez
Fantenberg - Folin

Martinez is their only lefty on right side. Doughty does big things but getting Green would work with Kings pretty well.

Minnesota

Lacks PP quarterbacking ability and Boudreau would know what Green could give. Cap space becomes a huge problem and kills the trade even with 50% retention.

Nashville... can live what they already have. Ellis comes back at some point when healthy.

San Jose has Burns and enough righties.

St. Louis has Pietrangelo and Parayko. No reasonable role for Green.

Vegas has only Colin Miller and Engelland as their only righties. Still doubt that they would be buyers on the deadline. GMGM did draft Green in NHL so you never know if there will be interest.

Winnipeg Jets has Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers on the right side. Zero need for a trade.

I would put Oilers and Kings as top candidates to buy Green from West. Others have their own guys or can't fit him on the cap.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
East in a nutshell:

Boston.
- Has McAvoy, Carlo, Miller McQuaid. No need. McAvoy does the thing.
Carolina.
- Has Faulk, Pesce and TvR. Green could help, but they probably need more defensive D.
Columbus.
- There would be a spot open behind Jones and Savard, but doubt that they would buy anything. Already a balanced and strong defence,
Florida.
- Needs defensive D and has right side working ok with Ekblad, Pysyk and Petrovic.
Montreal.
- Would have a spot behind Weber and Petry. Has also the cap space and could be desperate idiots. But can you do it inter division?
New Jersey.
- Devils just added Vatanen to complete the right side with Severson, Lovejoy and Santini.
New York Islanders.
- Green would be pretty good fit in here. Boychuck is the only righty in their TOP6.
New York Rangers.
- Has Shattenkirk and too much money anyways locked on their defence. Will do everything to add a center.
Pittsburgh.
- No chance. Letang and Schultz does the thing for them.
Tampa Bay-
- Has Strålman, Dotchin and Girardi which is proably enough.
Toronto.
- Does need defensive D. Wouldn't mind adding a righty, but don't see Green as a good fit and interdivisional trade will block it anyways.
Washington
- No chance. Carlson, Niskanen and Bowey is enough.

So Islanders and Montreal did look best candidates from East.

I would see EDM, LAK and NYI as the TOP3 from whole League.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
East in a nutshell:

Boston.
- Has McAvoy, Carlo, Miller McQuaid. No need. McAvoy does the thing.
Carolina.
- Has Faulk, Pesce and TvR. Green could help, but they probably need more defensive D.
Columbus.
- There would be a spot open behind Jones and Savard, but doubt that they would buy anything. Already a balanced and strong defence,
Florida.
- Needs defensive D and has right side working ok with Ekblad, Pysyk and Petrovic.
Montreal.
- Would have a spot behind Weber and Petry. Has also the cap space and could be desperate idiots. But can you do it inter division?
New Jersey.
- Devils just added Vatanen to complete the right side with Severson, Lovejoy and Santini.
New York Islanders.
- Green would be pretty good fit in here. Boychuck is the only righty in their TOP6.
New York Rangers.
- Has Shattenkirk and too much money anyways locked on their defence. Will do everything to add a center.
Pittsburgh.
Tampa Bay-
- Has Strålman, Dotchin and Girardi which is proably enough.
Toronto.
- Does need defensive D. Wouldn't mind adding a righty, but don't see Green as a good fit and interdivisional trade will block it anyways.
Washington
- No chance. Carlson, Niskanen and Bowey is enough.

So Islanders and Montreal did look best candidates from East.

I would see EDM, LAK and NYI as the TOP3 from whole League.
Thank you for this analysis. It would be very interesting if there are any scouts at the Wings/Islanders game tonight.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pittsburgh.

Letang gets hurt all the time, often for big stretches. Could see them come calling if that happens again this year.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
The Oilers should have had Green on their plane after their last game with Detroit.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Letang gets hurt all the time, often for big stretches. Could see them come calling if that happens again this year.

Or Maybe as an insurance policy incase it happens down the stretch or in the playoffs.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If that's true, I'm hoping he goes to either LA or Edmonton as I like both those teams. **** the Penguins. Let them rot.

If Pittsburgh is the only team offering a 1st the you pull the trigger and trade him there. For my own selfish reasons, I'd prefer him go to a team I like, and go win a Cup, but if Pit is the best return, trade him to Pit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why do you trust that? Holland's trade deadline reputation is spotty.

Last year he did do a pretty good job getting a 3rd for Jurco, and a 2nd for Smith. Considering they have done nothing for their new teams since being traded.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Last year he did do a pretty good job getting a 3rd for Jurco, and a 2nd for Smith. Considering they have done nothing for their new teams since being traded.

It was everything we could have hoped for. The only eyebrow raiser was the fact Holland wanted to extend Smith.

I do think we'll see Green and Mrazek move. Moving on from Green is disappointing, for sure. And in a perfect world, but unlikely world, Holland could find a way to move one of our longer deals like Frans, Helm, or Abby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad