Which teams are in the market for overagers next season?

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I do wonder if Owen Sound would bring in Troy Timpano. I thought Erie/Timpano would be a good fit last year and could see Owen Sound/Timpano being a good fit this coming season. He has the experience and showed he is suitable behind a strong team.

"Suitable" is a fair choice of words, but if OS is in fact shopping for a Number One Goalie next year and want to realize their max potential they need better than suitable IMO.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
June 1st - 2nd or 5th - 6th is usually when the trade freeze is lifted.

However the league would still have to confirm the deal first thing when the league office opens so I'd say the 5th or 6th when the trade freeze is lifted.
Trade window is opened June 1st - closed June 30th - closed all of July and reopens August 1st - Having said that don't hold your breath - there was only 2 or 3 trades last year in June.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Trade window is opened June 1st - closed June 30th - closed all of July and reopens August 1st - Having said that don't hold your breath - there was only 2 or 3 trades last year in June.

It is June 9th and there have been no reported trades. Is this unusual? Or could there have been trades that have not been announced as of yet?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It is June 9th and there have been no reported trades. Is this unusual? Or could there have been trades that have not been announced as of yet?
Not so sure it is unusual, not a host year for the OHL so less need to make moves early - could be unannounced deals or we could see a few at the end of the month after the import draft/ nhl draft is over. Vegas makes it interesting because the impact of their picks could be felt across all of the CHL. Likely see more action in August. Also not hearing any defecting players rumors so looks like 1st rounders are all reporting so no need for any deals there either ( although that would have to be Sept 1st). Enjoy the summer.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Not so sure it is unusual, not a host year for the OHL so less need to make moves early - could be unannounced deals or we could see a few at the end of the month after the import draft/ nhl draft is over. Vegas makes it interesting because the impact of their picks could be felt across all of the CHL. Likely see more action in August. Also not hearing any defecting players rumors so looks like 1st rounders are all reporting so no need for any deals there either ( although that would have to be Sept 1st). Enjoy the summer.

Sitting and waiting for the trade window to open is like fishing in the dark on who's going to be moved or what draft picks get shuffled around.

I'd expect the majority of the teams will sit back and wait till the NHL draft before hugely pull the trigger on deals thus far. That's not counting on the import draft that will follow shortly after the NHL entry draft and what teams will still have in the way of import players

The waiting game begins

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Overage players

Hey OHL fans.

Just wanted to ask if there were any 1997 born players that are likely to be left off their teams when September rolls around? Seems to happen every year where at least a few Overagers get cut from the OHL and sign as a free agent in a different league.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The wolves currently have five OAs, not including Capobianco. Rhodes & Wilkie - D, F - Valentini & Dunda, G - Bowman. Bowman will almost certainly play elsewhere.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
depending on whether the dogs are buyers or sellers, Johnny Corneil could be available

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie has six potential OAs:

LW Patrick Fellows, RC Haydn Hopkins, LD Cameron Lizotte, LD TJ Fergus, RD Owen Headrick, G Troy Timpano.

I expect Hopkins to be released but think there could be a market for the rest of the guys, two will have to be moved.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack have there full OA complement for the year with Friend,Szypula and more then likely McNiven all returning so I doubt that DeGray is in the market for OA's next season and with Palmu returning to Finland that makes the Attack probably in a sit back and wait position on dealing with an OA swap however it's possible if the return is better than what the Attack are giving up but it's more likely Friend, Szypula and McNiven will be OS overagers

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
Attack have there full OA complement for the year with Friend,Szypula and more then likely McNiven all returning so I doubt that DeGray is in the market for OA's next season and with Palmu returning to Finland that makes the Attack probably in a sit back and wait position on dealing with an OA swap however it's possible if the return is better than what the Attack are giving up but it's more likely Friend, Szypula and McNiven will be OS overagers
I would say it's far from 100% that McNiven is returning.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I think the Attack could be in the market for someone like TJ Fergus if Friend isn't returned. What would Otter fans be looking for in return? OS does have picks however there are a number of young players in the system that are OHL calibre but can't crack the deep Attack lineup.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I would say it's far from 100% that McNiven is returning.

I didn't say that it was 100% McNiven would return to the Attack what I said that it would be more than likely McNiven would return to the Attack at the beginning of the year at least.

After that who knows if at all on McNiven status on where he'll be this fall. As fans we'd have to assume the Montreal would have the final say on where Michael will be this year.

If he indeed returns then look for the Attack to continue to make noise in the western conference.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I didn't say that it was 100% McNiven would return to the Attack what I said that it would be more than likely McNiven would return to the Attack at the beginning of the year at least.

After that who knows if at all on McNiven status on where he'll be this fall. As fans we'd have to assume the Montreal would have the final say on where Michael will be this year.

If he indeed returns then look for the Attack to continue to make noise in the western conference.

McNiven has nothing left to prove at this level, he should play pro next season. Not sure what montreals depth is like in goal. But AHL/ECHL would be improvements for him. Gotta think he'd be disappointed with coming back.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
which OA are going to get traded before season starts?

The Wolves have 6 players eligible to return as OA's. Bowman in goal but he'll be moved if there is interest as McGrath is now the clear number one. On defense, Rhodes is a lock but other then that they will be looking for an OA upgrade on defense as Wilkie is a defensive nightmare and will be kept only if absolutely necessary. Capobianco is signed and 99% gone to the AHL. Up front, Valentini is likely in as the Wolves need offense and Dunda is a bit of a longshot due to the numbers game as the Wolves have a glut of forwards but Dunda brings some size, leadership and physical play to a team in need.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
With the Stanley trade, Kitchener seems to be pushing our chips in to make a run, we could use upgrades on at least 1 OA position. We have a full roster so it may be a quantity for quality deal. Anyone selling that could improve our forwards or defense for a package deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad