Which teams are in the market for overagers next season?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I know that the Petes have some decisions to make regarding their overagers.
The only sure OA's for next year are Logan Denoble (team's leading goal scorer this season) and dman Alex Black (solid veteran an a young defensive unit).

Goalie Scott Smith definitely won't be back and is available.
That leaves forwards Josh Coyle and Tyler Rollo. Not sure which one they will choose to keep, if either. Both have something to offer a young team as far as leadership, good on the PK, good energy line guys.

I'm just wondering which teams will be looking for OA's heading into next season?

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised to see Niagara pick up an OA in the off season. Only have Corneil at this point. A decent D might be a good get to offset the loss of Haydon and Mantha and stabilize a very young D core.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint could be on the lookout for an Overage player, but doubt they would be interested in Coyle or Rollo. They would probably target a solid defenseman or someone who could score some goals.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
North Bay will have at least 2 OA defensemen, likely Shankar and Shoemaker. Bruce and Saban are the other 2 97 D. I could see someone taking Shankar, dunno about Shoemaker though, still can't believe he was drafted by San Jose.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Owen Sound likely has 1 spot right now they'd like to fill.

They Have Szypula and likely Friend back. Could have NIV back but thats a long shot.

If NIV does move onto the pro's, i'd expect the 3rd O/A spot to be filled by an established goalie.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
With 7 98's on the roster and Jason Smith the only 97 it would make sense to add a few OA's in Barrie. Not much size at forward.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Windsor won't be in the market for OA's - lots to choose from and will likely try to move a couple. Right now we will likely see Luchuk, Laishram and McEneny as OA's but there are others available if if some choose to take the education package or get traded/turn pro RE - McCool, Robertson. The team will likely get younger as the year goes on.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The Wolves are in the market for an OA defenseman. OA candidates right now are Dunda, Valentini, Wilkie and Bowman. Right now Dunda is the only sure guy to be back.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Colts have one spot open, but likely 3 as I don't see Ovsjannikov and Smith returning. Could see them adding 3 new ones.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Owen Sound likely has 1 spot right now they'd like to fill.

They Have Szypula and likely Friend back. Could have NIV back but thats a long shot.

If NIV does move onto the pro's, i'd expect the 3rd O/A spot to be filled by an established goalie.

I do wonder if Owen Sound would bring in Troy Timpano. I thought Erie/Timpano would be a good fit last year and could see Owen Sound/Timpano being a good fit this coming season. He has the experience and showed he is suitable behind a strong team.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
lyle13: Of the 9 possible overage players the Sting have which 3 do you think they will keep?

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Kingston will have 5 available

Number 1 is Helvig, he was a factor in a lot of games this past year. Highest trade value too of all OA's.

Second would be steady defensive minded D-man Murray,

Third is the hard working Nichol who can put some numbers up and this low scoring team.

All 3 will provide leadership and help settle the youngsters down

Spares

Harding who could and should be able to provide help somewhere. Look for the Fronts to carry 4 OA's until the trade deadline just incase Helvig or one of the other 2 are dealt.

Supryka will not / should not be there with the above available. To be brutally honest trade value is extremely minimal if at all.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Whoever takes he gamble on scott smith is going to be rewarded big time. Doesn't make sense for him here with Dylan Wells likely seeing 40+ next season and top prospect Hunter Jones waiting in the wings..... but Smith will make a team very happy.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Maurizio Colella?
Colella figures to be on the Flint roster with Moore (pros), Kirwan (health), Sherwood (pros), and Smereck (pros) unlikely to return. They are unlikely to keep both Forrest and Hicks as overage goalies, so that would open up at least one spot. Like Tc Flint stated, I'd look for them to add frontline scoring or a steady blueliner. Also, I still wouldn't be at all surprised to see them move on from both of last year's goalies, especially after drafting Cavallin so high this spring, and knowing that would allow them to add two OAs.

A healthy Kirwan could really change this up, however.

Last edited:

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Duke Guy, there is always the possibility but typically it takes awhile for goaltenders to break into the pros with a year left on their eligibility in the OHL.

So my short answer is no but just remember my track record is brutal.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
the Generals have only 3 OA's Huether, Kohn & Di Carlo don't really know what there hockey future holds but I wouldn't have an issue if they back to the Generals.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The 67's are short on Overage prospects. As of right now the only bonafide OA returning is Matt Foget. After that we have Leo Lazarev and Ryan Orban. It is very unlikely they bring Lazarev back with Lafreniere being a 19 year old and the drafting of Creed Jones in the Midget draft. Orban will probably be back but they do have a lot coming back on defense so I could easily see him move on as well. Ben Fanjoy left the team last year and played Jr A in BC but they still have his rights. I guess there is a chance he returns but I think that is a very slight chance. So, as of right now, the 67's have one OA set in stone a a few sub par options that would jsut waste roster space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad