Which team(s) can match Canes down the middle?

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
Any team has 5 C that you would prefer over?:

Aho - bona fide no 1
Trocheck - bona fide no 2
Staal - if he's your no 2 you're in trouble, if he's your no 3, youre great.
Koko - Potentially a no. 2 C. Great secondary scoring.
Stepan - if he's your no 3 youre in trouble, if he's no 4 you're doing great. If he's no 5... well

Reactions: ChuckW

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I can't speak to other team's center depth but I liked ours last year better than this year, Staal was dominant for much of last year as a 3C and there was a point I want to say halfway through the year or longer where our top 3 were each point per game.

This season obviously Aho is a dominant 1C, Tro is a solid 2C but he hasn't been as good as last year and Staal oof absolutely terrible. JK makes up for that a bit as he was a big addition but the way Rod is deploying them right now, JK can't have as much of an impact as he should. And Stepan is awesome, I'd honestly have no issues with him as a 3C this year, great depth to have but yeah he's not playing lately so doesn't really factor in.

Overall we are very solid down the middle but I'd be surprised if there aren't at least a few other teams who are better or can match us this season. Our wingers and D and goaltending are great too though so no issues with just being "solid" down the middle.

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
Aho is one of the best players in the league for sure. Trocheck is probably a better than average #2, Kotka a solid #3, and let's be honest, Staal is no more than a 4 this year. Other options are decent/solid 4Cs imo.

Reactions: cptjeff

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
To add Staal is starting to find his game again. Hopefully his strong play continues all the way through the rest of the regular season and playoffs.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Aho is better than Barkov. Yeah, I'll say it.

I love the shit out of Aho but he is not as good as Barkov is yet. Barkov is a better defensive player from my viewings.

That said, Barkov is on the short list of "NHL stars most comparable to Sebastian Aho". As much as I think Dale Talon is a moron, him taking Barkov at 2 instead of Seth Jones or Jonathan Drouin was the best thing he did for that franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad