Which team is currently the Leafs biggest rival?

Which team is currently the Leafs biggest rival?

• Total voters

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This has been touched on briefly in the Pre-Game Talk - Leafs vs Habs thread so I thought it would be a good discussion moving forward into the new era.

Historically it can be said its the Habs, relatively recent playoff history says its the Senators, but regards to present day and moving forward is it the Boston Bruins?

Then of course there is the Sabres, where do they all rank and which teams do you think will emerge as our main rivals in the Matthews/Shanahan era.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Right now it's Boston. For the past ten years a sense of ill will has developed between the two teams, or at least from a Toronto perspective where it seems like Bruins success has occurred at the expense of the Leafs in some ways: 1) Rask for Raycroft set them up for 10 years and debilitated Toronto for 10 years. Humiliating trade. 2) Kessel trade set them up for their cup run and extended contention. 3) Chara's been rag dolling the Leafs ever since Bryan McCabe. 4) the horrible collapse in 2013. For some reason the Bruins hate us too.

With Montreal, it's just historic looking laundry. Maybe the rivalry will intensify with Tampa.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Really looked like Buffalo was our arch rival in the making what with our mirroring rebuilds but god damn they look horrible.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think playoffs build rivalries. Boston's the most recent one in our division so I guess I'd go with them.
Will we face Buffalo, Ottawa or Montreal anytime soon in the playoffs?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There's the provincial rivalry with Ottawa and the longstanding Original Six rivalry with Montreal. Whatever rivalries exist nowadays are formed in the playoffs IMO, so that's looking to be Boston.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Boston is our current biggest rival but it will become TB shortly. The Bruins vets will run out of gas in the next 2-3 years but Tampa Bay has staying power for several seasons. With current playoff format (which I am fine with), TB is the enemy of the next 5 years!

Reactions: Pyrophorus

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
It’s always Habs and Ottawa for me. Whichever is doing better at any time. This year is delightful. Bruins are the only other on the radar, although Buffalo and Detroit are only a playoff series away from hatred,

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Winnipeg/Edmonton until Ottawa/Montreal get gud.

Leafs get a lot of hate from both those fanbases.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
what rivalry do we have with Winnipeg?

I'd say... well Boston or Tampa, i guess.
idon't think w have one though to be honest.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
We'd need to play Winnipeg more than twice a year for it to become a rivalry imo.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I don't think we have one atm. We just don't have enough recent success.

Is there a team that would call us their biggest rival? Outside of Buffalo, I can't think of any.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
its gotta be boston. we have beat them what 7 out of the last 8 times we faced them and 90% of leaf fans are scared shitless of playing them in the playoffs. one lost game tho we were thoroughly beat doesn't erase the fact we have owned them for the last 2 years. but hindsight makes this really the only active rival at the moment. there is still actual hate every time we play

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Feels like Boston right now, but I'm always extra excited to play the Habs.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
If Buffalo was any good, it would EASILY be them.

But they are trash.

Naz and Risto genuinely dislike eachother. Theyre the only team where I can see the dislike between teams on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad